Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vmsman

Terrific widget!

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:44 am

You've done an awesome job with this yahoo widget. As a suggestion for a feature enhancement how about a way to pass a message to the SB display screen? Perhaps display a tickler, a new mail message count, or just about about anything. Perhaps you could telnet into the Roku and use the Sketch command to present user provided text input on the SB display. What ya think?

PaulH
Topic Author

Re: Terrific widget!

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:22 pm

vmsman wrote:
You've done an awesome job with this yahoo widget. As a suggestion for a feature enhancement how about a way to pass a message to the SB display screen? Perhaps display a tickler, a new mail message count, or just about about anything. Perhaps you could telnet into the Roku and use the Sketch command to present user provided text input on the SB display. What ya think?

Thanks for the kind words. My goal for this widget was for it to be a simple remote control "replacement". I wanted to avoid trying to get it to do too much, at least for the time being. ;) Your suggestions are good, so I'll keep them in mind for version 2.
Streaming Stick owner since Apr 24, 2014
M1001 owner since Jan 30, 2006

wiredhernandez

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:42 am

Just loaded and it looks great. I am not seeing how to browse libraries etc to select music. Only FF between tracks etc. Using Firefly media server and M2000 .. Is this proper or am I missing someting painfully obvious? Thanks.

PaulH
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:12 pm

You're not missing anything... this version just lets you move between tracks.

Paul

DIY Guy

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:37 am

Hi Paul,

I see this works with Rhapsody, but I'm not clear if your original intent was to control the Yahoo Music Engine Radio stations/ Launchcast Radio.

I'm trying to find out if soundbridge will control yahoo radio with the remote.

Thanks,

Steve

PaulH
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:48 am

Hi Steve,

My intent with this widget was to only control the SoundBridge via a simple, compact interface. Think of the Widget as a simple substitute for the original SoundBridge remote control. The Widget's Rhapsody support is simply the ability of the widget to show the album cover artwork (if available) of songs played from Rhapsody.

Paul

6TeacheR

Re: SoundBridge Remote Control Yahoo! Widget

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:59 am

awesome widget PaulH
I just downloaded 1.4 and it worked instandly.

For future update/revision it's maybe a small step to show "now playing" in msn-messenger?

PaulH
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:05 am

For future update/revision it's maybe a small step to show "now playing" in msn-messenger?

By this do you mean the "what I'm listening to" option that MSN Messenger has to let your contacts see the names of the songs you are playing?

Paul

6TeacheR

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:14 pm

...you mean the "what I'm listening to" option that MSN Messenger has to let your contacts see the names of the songs you are playing?

Yes, that's the thing I mean.
so friends know in what kind of mood I'm :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PaulH
Topic Author

Version 2.0

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:59 am

Version 2.0 of my SoundBridge Remote Control Yahoo! Widget is now available from the official Yahoo! Widgets page at

http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=39187

Along with some internal updates for compatibility with the latest version of the Yahoo! Widget 4.0 (now required), is the addition of a window to show the SoundBridge M1000/1001 video florescent display (VFD) on your monitor. This widget works on Windows XP/Vista and Mac OS X.

Note that you need the Yahoo! Widget engine to use this and other Yahoo! Widgets. Full information available at http://widgets.yahoo.com/

Enjoy!

Paul

shke11y

Vista Sidebar

Tue May 22, 2007 9:48 am

Do you have any interest or any plans to turn your yahoo widget into a vista sidebar gadget or are you partial/exclusive to yahoo? I am sure that would much appreciated by many.

PaulH
Topic Author

Re: Vista Sidebar

Wed May 23, 2007 12:41 pm

shke11y wrote:
Do you have any interest or any plans to turn your yahoo widget into a vista sidebar gadget or are you partial/exclusive to yahoo? I am sure that would much appreciated by many.

Porting to another gadget/widget system is something I'm considering, but that effort is on the back burner for now. The big advantage of the Yahoo! Widget system, as far as I'm concerned, is the platform independence. The widget I make for the Mac works on Windows, and vice-versa. The downside is that the Yahoo! Widget system is a separate installation - it's not built into the operating system. Here is a comparison of some of the pros and cons of the various widget/gadget systems: http://widgets.yahoo.net/blog/?p=16#more-16

Maybe I'll try my hand at a Vista sidebar version at the next rewrite. :idea:

Paul

PaulH
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:58 pm

Version 2.1 of my SoundBridge Remote Control Yahoo! Widget is now available from the official Yahoo! Widgets page at

http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=39187

This version includes enhancements for better Widget performance with slow networks, and the optional display of album artwork in the Widget Dock. Also included are various other "under the hood" fixes and improvements, including compatibility with Roku firmware 3.0. This version requires Y!E 4.0.2 or newer.

This widget works on Windows XP/Vista and Mac OS X.

Note that you need the Yahoo! Widget engine to use this and other Yahoo! Widgets. Full information available at http://widgets.yahoo.com/

Enjoy!

Paul

PaulH
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Version 2.2 of my SoundBridge Remote Control Yahoo! Widget is now available from the official Yahoo! Widgets page at

http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/soundb ... te-control

New features in 2.2 include:
1) A new preference option for use of a cache for the album artwork images to help improve performance on slower Internet connections. (See "How to..." for details.)
2) Fixed keyboard control problems that arose with newer versions of the Yahoo! Widget Engine.
3) Various other "under the hood" fixes and improvements
4) Requires Yahoo! Widget Engine version 4.5.1 or newer.

This widget works on Windows XP/Vista and Mac OS X.

Enjoy!

Paul

brough

For Noobs Like Me

Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:46 am

Without meaning to denigrate in any way the widget discussed here, after installing it I discovered it was not what I wanted at all.

I found the solution for me was the VisualMR discussed elsewhere in these forums.
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=15396

Just trying to save the next poor duffer like me who reads through the whole topic and spends hours installing something that doesn't do what they had hoped. :oops: