Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

CalBear
Topic Author

R1000 on Hotel Wi-Fi?

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:37 pm

Hello! I'm staying for an extended time at a hotel with free Wi-Fi. It is an open-access point system, w/o apparent security passwords. Opening a browser takes me to a hotel splash screen where I enter a six digit code provided by the hotel.

I can't seem to connect my R1000 to this network. The network name shows up under system config, but no success when I try to connect (no connection to Roku server for OS update, no connection to Internet Radio stations). When I answer NO to Password Needed?, radio reboots, but no network connection. When I answer YES, the only code I have - 6 digit access code - doesn't fit ASCII or HEX formats required by the R1000.

The unit is evidently connected to the hotel network though, as it shows up under Sys Config/Wi-Fi Status with a strong connection and assigned MAC and IP addresses, Netmask, Gateway and DNS 1 AND DNS 2 info (though I have no idea what those mean).

I've sent a email to Roku tech support, but hope someone on the forum can help more quickly.

Thanks!

RokuMike

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:18 am

Unfortunately, with a network of this type that requires the client to enter a code in a web browser, you won't be able to use your Radio directly. There's no web browser in the radio, so no way to submit that web form.

Since all of these systems are different (in each hotel or chain), there's really no practical way for us to build support for this type of thing into the SoundBridge.

The only way I know of to make this work is to have the radio behind a NAT-enabled router, so that a PC or Mac connected to the router can submit the web form. Since all clients behind the NAT "look" the same to the hotel system, once a computer has submitted the form, the Radio will also be able to use the network.

The only good way I can think of to do this is with a small wireless router of your own, connected to an in-room Ethernet port.

Perhaps if you explain to the hotel staff that you'd like to use a Wi-Fi product with their network, but it has no web browser, they can offer a solution. For example, it might be possible for them to explicitly allow a specific MAC address, which you could look up on your Radio's System Configuration -> Show Wi-Fi Status screen.

CalBear
Topic Author

re: R1000 Radio on Hotel Wi-Fi?

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:28 am

Sorry for the duplication. I posted to the 3 lists that seemed appropriate, casting a net for someone who might have suggestions. I didn't know that all were moderated by the same tech folks...

Anyway, I was able to contact the Wi-Fi provider directly, and an EXTREMELY helpful tech was able to configure the local server (?) to allow the radio to access the local network.

ROKUMike, you also suggested buying a personal router to connect both the radio and PC to the network. I'd be happy to do this, as I'm sure I can't count on such accomodating service from other hotel's providers. Problem is, most of the hotels I use seem only to now have wireless networks, w/o Ethernet jacks in the rooms. Can you suggest a kind of router that would work with both wired (when available) and wireless networks?

Thanks again for the advice.

allenc3

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:45 pm

My experience is different. I see Ethernet jacks more often now in hotels than four years ago. I think wifi is too troublesome for hotels/motels to manage. Ethernet is plug and go, config free.

So because of this for years now I always travel with a portable WAP so I can plug it in the Ethernet jack and have wifi in the room for my PC and anyone else's PC in the room too. This should work as RokuMike describes.

I use an ASUS WL-330g but Linksys makes one as do others.
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12 ... odelmenu=1
Roku M1000, M500, SB Radios, Netflix Player, WiFi, Win7, Windows Home Server, Verizon FIOS router

RokuMike

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:09 pm

I use an Apple AirPort Express.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any routers that would do NAT from one Wi-Fi network to another. That doesn't mean that one doesn't exist! Just that I don't know about it. Perhaps somebody else can shed some light!

soroushi

Re: R1000 on Hotel Wi-Fi?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 am

If you are traveling with a Mac computer (e.g. Mac Book Pro), all you need is an Ethernet wire! You can enable Ethernet sharing on your Mac - there are many instructions on how to do this; for example:
http://www.macyourself.com/2009/02/23/t ... t-sharing/

After accepting the hotel's terms and conditions, all you need to do is to plug the Roku box into your outgoing Ethernet port.

:!: Note: it's very important to disable this feature once you are back in a normal environment, because it can cause issues on a wider network.