Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

BABES502
Topic Author

HELP FAVORITE RADIO STATION

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:35 am

seems ever since my newest download, i have been having troubles keeping WRVA out of virgina to stay on as a preset. I can go to snooper it picks it up and i can temp. put on as a preset and it plays for a few minutes or so at that spot. then i can shut radio off and go back and it just keeps trying for the station over and over but wont pick up. what could be the problem, i miss my favorite staition at night. thanks so much and in advance.

gcd0865

Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:25 am

WRVA is one of many U.S. stations owned by the Clear Channel company that recently changed its streaming protocol to restrict access to their proprietary pop-up player on a computer. They're using a changing digital key technology, wherein a new digital key is assigned at each use and must apparently be somehow detected by the station's streaming server before the stream can begin. Our Rokus aren't compatible with such a system (at least as of right now).

CBS did a similar thing recently, but later recognized they were losing lots of listeners like us, and provided alternate streams of its stations for those of us listening on devices other than a computer.

It might take some time, but with the growing number of non-computer listening devices, perhaps Clear Channel will provide alternate streams as well for us.

BABES502
Topic Author

WRVA AND CLEAR CHANEL STATIONS

Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:12 am

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE REPLY MAKES SENSE NOW. IS THERE SOMETHING WE CAN DO TO LET THESE STATIONS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE LOSING. I ENJOY LISTENING TO MICHAEL SAVAGE ON THAT STATION, I AM SURE HE WOULD NOT BE TO HAPPY TO KNOW THAT THESE STATIONS ARE DOING THIS AND CUTTING HIM OUT OF THE MARKET, ONCE AGAIN THANKS.

RokuMike

Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:17 am

First of all, please don't post in all caps. It's hard to read.

Second, I think the most effective thing you can do is to find the contact information for the station management (and possibly Clear Channel), and let them know that you can no longer listen to their radio station, which you'd like to do.

You could always consider calling their advertisers as well, to let them know that you can't hear their ads anymore. ;)

allenc3

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:54 pm

BABES MIGHT HAVE A TELETYPE RATHER THAN A PC.
Roku M1000, M500, SB Radios, Netflix Player, WiFi, Win7, Windows Home Server, Verizon FIOS router

allenc3

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:12 pm

Trivia: I used to live across the street from the WRVA studio for 15 years.

I recently saw WRVA on the Roku list and listened to it for a couple days on two different SB Radios. It sounded a lot better than getting it off the air. Then it stopped playing. I thought they were having server problems but it sounds worse than that with the rotating code thing. I wonder why it played at all. I just tried it but only got 'Re-trying station' then I tried their web online streaming, I got a stream but no audio so I wonder if maybe they ARE having problems.

I listen to Savage at 6 pm Eastern time on KNEW his home station which is in the Roku list.
Roku M1000, M500, SB Radios, Netflix Player, WiFi, Win7, Windows Home Server, Verizon FIOS router

MRM

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:19 am

MY FAVORITE STATION IS WKRC AND IT APPEARS TO FALL PREY TO their using a changing digital key technology, wherein a new digital key is assigned at each use and must apparently be somehow detected by the station's streaming server before the stream can begin.
MRM

MRM

CLEAR CHANNEL

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:04 pm

MarkPMays@clearchannel.com <MarkPMays@clearchannel.com>

FOR THOSE THAN ENJOY CLEAR CHANNEL STATIONS PLEASE WRITE TO
MR MAYS CLEAR CHANNEL COO (EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE) AND REQUEST THAT RETURN TO THE FORMAT THAT ALLOWED SOUNDBRIDGE COMPATIBILITY SO WE CAN LISTEN AND ENJOT THEIR STATIONS.

APPARENTLY MOVING DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY KEEPS US FROM RECEIVING CLEAR CHANNEL STATIONS.

PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT WE TOO ARE CONSUMERS.
MRM

RokuMike

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Good news! If this is a Clear Channel station, then the 3.0.49 beta should be able to play it. Give it a try!

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=14574