Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

BABES502
Topic Author

TROUBLES WITH WRVA FAVORITE STATION

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:25 pm

I have been having troubes getting wrva in lately. called station and they said that i may need to update windows media player. currently at work so i hope i can get an answer b4 i go home.

what version of media player should we be using with roku radio. they have version all the way to ll. wrva seems to sugest 7.1. do u think that may solve the problem.

hope to hear asap.

thanks in advance.

RokuLyndon

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:00 pm

Are you only having problems playing the station on your computer? Because updating WMP won't affect how the soundbridge plays the station.

Does the station work sometimes? If yes, how often does it fail?

BABES502
Topic Author

repy

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:05 pm

station will be snooped as ok, and will play on computer and radio. then maybe just a short time latter wont play on radio. i have tried differnd support rlu that snooper gets same thing.

RokuLyndon

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:09 pm

How long does the station play for on the soundbridge radio before it stops working again?

BABES502
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:14 pm

dont know never timed it. does that make a difference. this station i have listend to for a year or better no problem, seems like evers since i did ur most recent update.

RokuLyndon

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Ok, I'm not sure what the problem is. I thought you posted earlier that it works for a while, and then stops working.

At the moment, is this station not working at all?
Or, just not working when you try to play it from radioroku.com?

BABES502
Topic Author

repy

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:23 pm

OH MY GOD, JUST TRY THE STATION FOR A WHILE SEE WHAT U GET, I JUST KNOW THAT SOMETHING HAS CHANGED, I HAVE NOT SET MY STOP WATCH TO IT, PLEASE DONT TELL ME NO TO USE CAPS, I AM YELLING
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

RokuLyndon

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:48 pm

The reason I asked for details is I have been listening to the station, and haven't experienced any problems. So, I wanted to get as much detail as posisble from your to make sure I was looking for the same thing that you saw.

Your posts were not clear. You said you were having problems getting the station to work lately and the station recommended a windows media player update. That led me to believe you were having problems playing the station on your computer.

It's possible the station is having problems and that's why you've noticed a change. Or, maybe, they've made some changes on their end. Since I don't listen to the station normally, it's harder for me to determine if it's "changed." But, I'll keep listening and let you know what I find.

Wondercow

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:46 pm

BABES502,

If you want others to help you, you have to be willing to help yourself. You can't just show up here and say "I'm having a problem. Someone fix it!". Troubleshooting is all about asking questions of the person having the trouble and getting them to try different things.

And, FWIW, yelling (typing in all caps) will usually get you the exact opposite of what you want: people will ignore your post and offer no help.
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

BABES502
Topic Author

REPLY WRVA

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:26 am

ok ok I will try to be civil. here is what I know

WRVA I have listented to for over a year now, no problems. all of a sudden, it wont stay on the radio.

it will come in on the computer, snooper will find url that it supports. i put one on a preset and the preset plays the station just fine. I can liesten for an hour or more. then if i shut the radio of for some time or switch to some others staion for a while, i go back and all it does is continue to search for that station. does it have somthing to do with the fact that wrva is a clear channel radio station or what. it is weird how it plays just fine, and at some latter time when you go back to that station it just cant find it

hope this helps with more info.

gcd0865

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:30 am

BABES502, the reason you didn't have any trouble with WRVA before is because they used to use a single url address for the station's audio stream. Once this url was programmed into the Radio Roku database (or programmed in as a preset on your Soundbridge), you could always listen to WRVA on your Soundbridge without any problem.

But recently, all of the Clear Channel Corporation-owned stations (including WRVA, KFI, KQKE and many others) switched their streaming protocol. Many of these stations are easily recognized by the term "reflector:" followed by a 5-digit code at the end of the former audio url. The new protocol only allows streaming audio for any given station by using the station's popup media player on a computer. The popup player is a modified Windows Media Player that includes advertising and (I believe) also prevents listening of U.S.-based stations from outside the U.S. The popup media player generates a "digital key" which is unique to each listening session and appears as a long string of characters after the actual station audio url.

Because the digital key is active only for one listening session, you cannot copy the long string of characters from your Snooper that represents both the audio url and the digital key, save it as a preset on your computer, on your Soundbridge, or in the Radio Roku database and expect it to work the next time. It might work for a short time (maybe an hour or two) after the first listening session, depending on how often the digital keys are regenerated.

If you want to listen to WRVA on your Soundbridge, the only way I know of is to get it running on your computer first every time, and then "send" it to your Soundbridge using server software of some kind. Of course, this is rather cumbersome and overly technical, which will cause most people to simply listen elsewhere. When CBS similarly switched their streaming protocol recently, they recognized that many people were listening on devices other than computers (with that type of listening growing rapidly), so they provided alternate compatible streams for the many internet radios, smartphones and other devices that cannot access the popup media player intended for computer-listening only. Perhaps Clear Channel will recognize the same thing shortly.

Hope this clears things up...

BABES502
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:12 pm

now that is what i call a great reply, oned that makes sense, although wish is wasn't true. Hope clear channel will come to there senses. thanks so much for your thoghtful time.

:cry: