Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

galmaas
Topic Author

Another dead Soundbridge

Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:41 am

My Soundbridge also suddenly died tonight. No sound and no clock. Probably power supply?
Why so poor quality Roku?

goattee

Jumping to conclusions

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:48 pm

As outsiders we can't possibly know whether this is a frequent occurrence. (Yes it happened to me a couple weeks ago too.)

So I hate to jump on the company with the conclusion that this is a quality control problem.

My guess is that it is the power supply that died. Out of curiousity if you who had your radio die on you within the past few months indicate which software version you were running (if you remember)?

mkades

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:52 pm

I am sorry goatee. When someone spends $400-$500 on a radio, it should not go dead within 12-15 months. Do you think Bose has the same problem. I also have a Boston Acoustics radio bought earlier that has worked just fine. For it to happen once in a blue moon one cn forgive, but to have numerous radios go dead around the same time and all within a certain time frame seem odd. I was running a newer version of the software for your curiosity.

goattee

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:41 pm

First off, please don't consider me an apologist for defect problems. I brought my radio with me from the US and it died in Bangkok only 6 months after purchase. :? (In my case it happened a couple weeks after accepting the beta 3.0.49.)

I will have to take it back to the US in February and I am missing the enormous pleasure that the radio was giving me. It provided me with an easy way to keep in touch with radio from back home. And I can't wait to bring back a new, working one.

All I am trying to do is to take the emotion out of this and try to determine whether there is/are (a) solid explanation(s) for the various reports we have been seeing here on the forum. And to remove speculation as to whether this problem is frequently occurring. (Yes, I realize when it happened to me it would not be much consolation to know that a high percentage of other customers still have functioning radios.)

So let's take this point by point:

mkades wrote:
it should not go dead within 12-15 months.

No one wants that. So the question is whether there is a high defect rate. Or whether the number of reports in the forum leads to a "sampling error." After all, anyone experiencing a defect or problem is going to be more inclined to visit the manufacturer's forum to seek answers or to complain.

mkades wrote:
Do you think Bose has the same problem.

I have owned a Bose Wave radio and have had 3+ years of reliable service from it. It is understandable to want to compare the two because they have overlaps in functionality and sell in the same price range. But the Roku product has more than just a simple, traditional radio and amplifier.

For better or worse, the Roku products also accept firmware updates. On the upside it allows the manufacturer to add functionality and improve performance. But because this is software, and is dynamic, there is also the chance that bugs will be introduced. And maybe recent firmware updates play some role in the problem.

mkades wrote:
I was running a newer version of the software for your curiosity.

Can you say whether it was a beta version? The last public release? Being more specific about the version could help. (For example if the majority of problems are emerging with devices using a couple version numbers, this might be a contributing factor.)

mkades wrote:
For it to happen once in a blue moon one cn forgive, but to have numerous radios go dead around the same time and all within a certain time frame seem odd.

You are helping me make the point about possible causes being related to a software update. But it is not logically sound to conclude that there is a widespread problem here. (See the sampling error point above.)

We're not adversaries. At least for someone in the home country they can swap out radios within a week or two. I will be living without mine for months. And yet I am trying to be calm and reasonable about it.

g0pkh

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:33 am

Hi all.

This is not the first time power supply problems have plagued Roku products, you might like to take a look at the Photo Bridge forums, makes interesting reading.

I am afraid it is purely down to the use of cheap underated components, and poor ventalation. In all cases I have heard of regarding failure of these psu's, the culprit has been cheap capacitors that have failed. The cure is to replace them all.

I myself have two SB radios as well. So far none have failed, but I am expecting the first unit to fail shortly as it is getting on for a year old.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you that this lifespan for a product that cost nearly £300 when I bought it, is totally unaccepable, but what can we do, it is a sign of times I am afraid.

So far I beleive Roku have replaced all instances of these failures under warranty. Which is excellent.

I am quite prepared to repair my own units when they fail, as I am an electronics technician by trade, and have much experience repairing switchmode psu's. I would rather do that, than package the unit and send it back to the states.

I am in the UK, and am quite prepared to help out repairing these dead power supplies, if you find yourself out of warranty, and facing buying another unit.

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

crippl

Another dead Soundbridge

Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:54 pm

My soundridge went dead last night. The power supply is still working but the LCD went out. Any idea if parts are available on the market to fix the display?

Burkhardi

Re: Another dead Soundbridge

Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:51 pm

crippl wrote:
My soundridge went dead last night. The power supply is still working but the LCD went out. Any idea if parts are available on the market to fix the display?

Which power supply, the wall-wart or the internal? The part are current. I assume you mean M1000(1) since you didn't say Soundbridge Radio or R1000?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

S80_UK

Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi Matt - If the previous poster really meant LCD then it's an M500 or SoundBridge Home Music (M400) - the only units with LCD displays.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

crippl

Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:52 pm

I do have a M500. I recently ordered an M1001, but would like to repair the M500 LCD if possible. I believe it is the LCD since it went dark while in use and the music continued to play.

Burkhardi

Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:30 pm

crippl wrote:
I do have a M500. I recently ordered an M1001, but would like to repair the M500 LCD if possible. I believe it is the LCD since it went dark while in use and the music continued to play.

There is the Wall-Wart power supply and also an onboard supply/regulator. Check your PM.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Nixon

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:29 am

g0pkh wrote:
Hi all.

This is not the first time power supply problems have plagued Roku products, you might like to take a look at the Photo Bridge forums, makes interesting reading.

I am afraid it is purely down to the use of cheap underated components, and poor ventalation. In all cases I have heard of regarding failure of these psu's, the culprit has been cheap capacitors that have failed. The cure is to replace them all.....

...much cut...........

.......I am quite prepared to repair my own units when they fail, as I am an electronics technician by trade, and have much experience repairing switchmode psu's. I would rather do that, than package the unit and send it back to the states.

I am in the UK, and am quite prepared to help out repairing these dead power supplies, if you find yourself out of warranty, and facing buying another unit.

Pete

Hi there Pete

My own Soundbridge M1001 developed an intermittent fault at about 14 months after purchase. If it was switched off at the wall, it took anything from 10 to 100+ power on/off attempts at the wall socket before it would switch back on. It has now not powered up since the last time it died whilst I was updating its network settings, about 3 months ago.

I've confirmed the wall wart power supply it still functioning by testing it with another soundbridge. Indeed, looking more closely, there must be power reaching it as the two LED's are lit at the ethernet port on the back.

This would lead me to figure a failure of the display????

I've now reached the limits of my ability, and wondered if you had any thoughts....

Much appreciated

Gav

g0pkh

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:31 am

Hi Gav.

Sorry to hear you have probs with your M1001.
As you have already verified that the wall wart supply is ok, I am afraid I have no real other suggestions than to contact Roku support.

I am familiar with the repair of power supplies, but not with the repair of the actual soundbridge electronics.

I guess if it was mine, and it was out of warranty I would be tempted have a look before binning it. But in all honesty I doubt there would be much I would be able to do about it. :(
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

Nixon

Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply. I pretty much figured that'd be the case. But I will be having a peak inside to see whats what. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

cheers

Gav

patc890

R1000 died

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:14 pm

My R1000 just died also. Nothing from it. Working fine yesterday now nothing. It's 15 months old. As someone else said a radio that cost $400 should last longer than this.

mkades

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Let me say that Roku has stood by its product and offered to replace my radio. It was 14 months old. I will give an update when available.