Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Burkhardi

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:28 am

Your new unit should have a "Warranty Void" sticker on it. Check for it; this notes the newer units that have been updated (according to RokuLyndon) and you should be good to go then.
If not, there is always Pete (aka: g0pkh)I assume he is closer to Israel then me))...

slugw wrote:
Yes, just to weigh in with another dead R1000 story.

Mine died after 5 months of use. It was bought for me in the U.S. (I live in Israel). I requested an RMA, but their replies ended up in my spam filter! Fortunately, I noticed after a couple of weeks. Another lucky break was that I spent most of September in the U.S. So I flew there carrying the unit as hand baggage, and was able to send the unit by UPS to be replaced with only a few days left on the warrenty! The new unit arrived with lucky timing just a few days before I left the U.S. again, so I carried the new unit home under my arm.

But gosh, talk about shoddy components...... what if I hadn't been scheduled to be there? So many dead units! Really, Roku! At least there was no argument from them; just friendly and swift replacement.

What happens when the replacement blows in a few months, hmm?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

jpgordon

Two more

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 am

I have the misfortune of having two of them, purchased about two months apart, dying about two months apart. There really should be a general recall on these units. It's a pity, too; when they work, they're great. I'm sorely disappointed; I hope the two friends that bought them on my recommendation have not had the same problem.

The cost for replacement is ridiculous; $200 to replace something that has failed due to poor QA, that cost originally $299. Come on. I'd rather pay three times that to get something that might be more reliable.

rajt

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:23 pm

I've have mine for 13 months, and my has just died.

From this post, why isnt Roku doing something about this.

It's very disappointing on such a good product.

So where do I stand with this?

Can this be repaired in the UK under warranty?

What have others done?

Thanks

alanmc

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:37 pm

@ rajt

How is your SoundBridge Radio "branded? Is it Pinnacle or Roku? For in the answer lies your choice.

For what my opinion is worth, if it's a Roku R1000, your best option will be to send a PM to g0pkh to request him to 'rebuild' the PSU for you.

When I read of all these disgraceful failures with the R1000 model, I thank my lucky stars that I sold mine before it eventually failed, and then purchased the very fine Roberts WM-201 Internet Radio (not cheap, but a first-class product).

rajt

Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:48 am

My Soundbridge Radio is branded as Pinnacle.

I will try the support team..but not hoping for much !

alanmc

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:38 am

@ rajt,

As your Soundbridge Radio was 'sold' by Pinnacle, it is still the responsibility of the supplier to honour the ramifications as regards the warranty (here in the UK).

I feel you should contact your local Trading Standards department to discuss two factors: (1) The EU legislation as regards the length of the warranty-period that must be offered here in Europe, and (2) to discuss the situation of their view if the unit was "Fit-For-Purpose" in the way/manner the PSU was built, given the number of failures that have been reported here in this forum-thread.

. . . . Failing which you still have the option of contacting 'g0pkh' in order to seek his renowned skills in repairing the PSU.

Good Luck, Alan

elsewhen

what about bypassing the internal power supply

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:44 pm

i have a completely dead r1000 as well... instead of replacing the capacitors like LEW2 did above, what about bypassing the faulty power supply unit alltogether? is there an off-the-shelf wall wart that could be used? what volts/amps power supply is required?

g0pkh

Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:52 am

There have been a couple of reasonably successful attempts of this further up this thread I believe.

But why not get the PSU serviced using high quality components, it should last a lot longer that way.

After all it has been mentioned that the design is good, its just that a handful of components used are of low quality.

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

rajt

Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:38 am

I contacted support using the Live Chat. They are refusing to do anything as they are no longer supporting this unit. I hadnt even told them the unit was 13 months old !

The UK support number is a premium rate number...anyone got a contact they've been speaking to in Pinnacle UK about this issue?

Thanks

rajt

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:17 am

Just found out that the warranty is for 2 years, so panic over for me hopefully. (Never saw this mentioned before mind you)

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... N=rnanswer

Burkhardi

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:23 am

I assume Live Chat for Pinnacle and not Roku, right?

rajt wrote:
I contacted support using the Live Chat. They are refusing to do anything as they are no longer supporting this unit. I hadnt even told them the unit was 13 months old !

The UK support number is a premium rate number...anyone got a contact they've been speaking to in Pinnacle UK about this issue?

Thanks
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

rajt

Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Yes, live chat with Pinnacle.

Wish they just told me there was a 2 year warranty, instead of fobbing me off!

GrantMeStrength

Another one on the list..

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Woke up this morning, and my Soundbridge Radio was dead. Presumably it's the PSU.

It is considerably out of warranty, and I didn't realize how much I'd come to depend on it.

Considering doing a DIY repair, or just buying something else.

A sad day.

salmuina

Dead Radio too

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:53 pm

i bought my radio in August 2007. It died this month and have been unable to get any response on what to do.
S

SuzieQ

Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:11 pm

salmuina, try emailing RokuLyndon > lallydice@rokulabs.com