Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

arnaud

Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:10 am

I won't be very original : my R1000 Pinnacle died on me a few days ago.

Bought it in France, from a website dealer : what should I do ? send it back to him to get another unit ? contact Roku directly ?

What's all of this with the dead units ?
(I'm worried because I have another one, bought recently from Amazon.fr : should I expect the same fate ?)

Thanks for your answers !
Arnaud

SuzieQ

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:33 am

arnaud wrote:
What's all of this with the dead units ?
(I'm worried because I have another one, bought recently from Amazon.fr : should I expect the same fate ?)

I would say that the overall power supply design is not as good as it should have been. One does not want to cover the power supply components with 'gunk' and as such limiting the heat dissipation even more than it already is in the radio enclosure. In addition, it appears that some sub-standard quality capacitors were used in the earlier units.

alanmc

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:25 am

@ arnaud,

Unlike our American Cousins we here in the EU enjoy far better (and indeed longer) warranty protection :D

Thus, on the assumption that your seller was based in France (where I am making the assumption you reside) your "Purchase-Contract" is with them, and it is their responsibility to resolve this situation . . . . Roku are not directly involved with your claim.

Regrettably, it is most likely that you can also expect a similar scenario with the unit purchased from Amazon.fr - so ensure you hang-on to your dated invoice as 'proof-of-purchase' :wink:

As SuzieQ chose to politely point out, the R1000 has a history of poorly manufactured power supplies, however I certainly would have been far more blunt about the lack of quality and suspect methodology of construction of same.

jonnyrepp

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:09 am

Mine has just died also :(

I have emailed g0pkh, but further reading suggests that I'd just need a replacement power unit. The lights around the ethernet port are not coming on.

I'm in the UK and have a Roku branded M1000/1 (the one which the caps come off of). Where would I order a replacement power supply from in the UK? If you could tell me exactly what I'd need then I'd forever be in your debt! I'm not at all good with this sort of thing - in case you couldn't geuss!

S80_UK

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:22 am

@jonnyrepp:

To save Alan a job... :wink:

[quote="alanmc"]ROKU SOUNDBRIDGE PSU INFORMATION:

It would appear that one of the MAJOR ongoing problems to get a correct “replacementâ€
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

g0pkh

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:21 am

Jonnyrepp.

I have just replied to your PM.

Thanks S80_UK for the Maplin part number. I told Jon that
I knew of a part but could not remember the number.

It has also cleared up the confusion about what unit he has.
Original M1000 of course, with 9V PSU.

It may still be the unit however. If a replacement PSU does not solve it
then I can still help.
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

jonnyrepp

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:00 am

Wow - many thanks for the help fellas. I'll tootle off to maplin tomorrow and will post back to let you know how I get on. :)

alanmc

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:03 am

@ S80_UK

Hi Les, to be perfectly honest about the earlier entry for which you have given me ‘credit’, I must come clean and state that it is in fact a compilation of extracted information where I have plagiarised several sections that have been posted by various other people, including not only your good-self but also none other than Mike Kobb.

However, I am quite bemused to find that very many people are just too lazy to be bothered to use the Search button to find the answers they seek. This specific topic has been covered on numerous occasions, and in the future I intend to make that clear to people seeking a response on this issue.

Cheers, Alan

S80_UK

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:46 am

alanmc wrote:
@ S80_UK

Hi Les, to be perfectly honest about the earlier entry for which you have given me ‘credit’, I must come clean and state that it is in fact a compilation of extracted information where I have plagiarised several sections...

Hi Alan - no worries - but it is a very useful compilation!

Regarding Search - I agree entirely - unfortunately it is a problem common to many fora such as this one. My responsiveness to queries these days varies. If I am in a good mood, I will reply more helpfully than if not.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

rajt

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:56 am

Sent my unit off under the 2 year warranty last Monday from UK to Germany at a cost of £30 !

However, came back in 1 week, very quick and good service (shame the unit had to be sent to Germany at an expense of £30) !

Got a brand-new unit. Questions are, if anyone knows the answer:

1. Does the 2-year start again, as it is a new unit?
2. As it does have the 'Warranty Void' sticker, I'm afraid the unit will fail in 12 months again as I suspect it has the same underlying fault. Others have implied that units with the 'Warranty Void' sticker have had the problem fixed. Is this the same for European models, or should I expect the unit to fail again in 12 months ?!

rajt

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:59 am

(Sorry, the new unit does NOT have the 'Warranty Void' sticker)

search4f

Me Too

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:51 am

Mine died and Roku has yet to respond back

search4f

Roku please help

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:01 am

Add me to the list. Dead unit as of last week after at least a year of great service. I submitted my request to the support site and received the automated response with an ID, but no follow-up since.

williMeier

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:07 am

and here is an another dead roku radio. :cry:
* 05/2007 † 11/2008
my wife just want to save energy. plug off in evening and plug in in the morning.

i think i will use a notebook power supply instead of repairing the psu. can someone tell me the wire colour / voltage assigment?
regards frank

if it has ram or flower it will give you problems

dupondt

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:17 am

Hi williMeier / Frank,

if you bought your Soundbridge in Germany, it's still under warranty, you should thus contact your dealer and have him repair it (free of charge, of course). If it's a Pinnacle branded unit, contacting Pinnacle could help, too.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot