Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

howardst

Inoperative Radio

Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:43 am

All DNS data are zeros. FIOS is a fiber optic network that provides telephone, TV and internet data traffic. I don't see that this should matter, but I saw a query in another post about FIOS causing problems. I agree that I am not receiving a dynamic address. How do I get a static one? No change on my network, and no indication of problems with neighbor traffic. Thanks for your advice.

Rocco

Dead SBR

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Purchased my R1000 in Dec 06. Radio died in Aug 07 (no power up). Repaired by Roku free of charge. Just died again yesterday. Same symptoms. Just submitted an email to support at Roku and waiting for their replay. I leave my radio plugged in 24 hours per day in standby mode. I listen to it approx 3-5 hours per day.

I love the radio but for US$400.00 I certainly expect better reliability. From the posts on this forum it sounds that this dead radio problem is a known and common issue. Why no recall?

g0pkh

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:48 am

Howardst.

You would be wise to repost these problems onto a new thread.
As you are likely to recieve more help from others this way.

This thread is really discussing dead Radio's and PSU's.

OK DNS data is zeros' what about IP addresses are these shown as zeros too ?

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

zzamm

Another dead Roku M1001

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:07 pm

After ~ 1.5 years, my roku soundbridge m1001 gave up.
Was working one day, then dead the next.
No lights, no safe-boot, no display -- nuthin'

I do have a soldering iron, but no idea really, where to get diodes or capacitors
Recommendations anyone?

alanmc

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:54 pm

@ Zzamm

You have posted to the SoundBridge RADIO General Forum, a forum for the specific use of owners of the R1000 RADIO, ( NOT M1001s) -
However, as this particular thread has previously been ‘hijacked’ on a few occasions due to it’s title “Another Dead SoundBridgeâ€

aaronferrucci

r1000 from ebay, dead

Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:05 am

Well, I bought a R1000 on ebay - supposedly in working condition. When it arrived, it wouldn't power up. Sounds like the infamous power supply problem. The seller agreed to let me have the R1000 for half price, so now I have a project. I'm confident I can remove and replace whatever components are required in the power supply unit, but I see various hints that the R1000 is difficult to open up. Does anyone have a link to a step-by-step disassembly?

Burkhardi

Re: r1000 from ebay, dead

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:38 am

aaronferrucci wrote:
Well, I bought a R1000 on ebay - supposedly in working condition. When it arrived, it wouldn't power up. Sounds like the infamous power supply problem. The seller agreed to let me have the R1000 for half price, so now I have a project. I'm confident I can remove and replace whatever components are required in the power supply unit, but I see various hints that the R1000 is difficult to open up. Does anyone have a link to a step-by-step disassembly?

Hello,
Welcome to the forums! Sorry you had to find us under this circumstance.

I don't know what part of the world you live in, but I think you would find that if you could get your dead R1000 to either Pete in the United Kingdom or me in the United States that it would be well worth it.

I service these and it’s not a simple step by step process. The PSU is basically unserviceable, it can be done, but once you get in there, you will find that it was never really meant to be opened up and/or serviced. I think once your where done, that you would think in hind sight that having Pete or I repair the unit would have been a better option and it would have saved you a lot of time and headache. But I also know that some people (like me) like a challenge and you may want to give it a go. If you do dive into it, please do not cut wires and such, otherwise it makes it very hard for a technician to repair it correctly and safely. I have seen pictures of units where the person has cut the main AC wires on the inside of the unit or has cut the DC power cable in half in order to get the PSU out.

I'll send you a PM too.
Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

aaronferrucci

r1000 disassembly notes, and a question

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:52 pm

I spent some time today disassembling my r1000 and replacing capacitors. The good news: after replacing an obviously damaged capacitor (C906, 220uF 35V), the r1000 shows signs of life. See photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronferru ... 593223550/

The bad news: while on, the r1000 makes loud crackling noises, randomly but almost constantly. I went ahead and replaced more capacitors, eventually replacing:
2 220 uF 35Va caps (one with 50V rating, one with 63V, since that's all my local electonics shop had)
1 100uF 35V
2 2200uF 35V
1 47uF 16V

... to no avail. Still lots of crackling from the speakers.
I did not replace the 100uF 400V cap, since I couldn't find a replacement.

So - any hints? What should I replace next? Are the any measurements I should make, to help debug this power supply?

Thanks for any help!

DJans

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:32 am

Aaron, thanks a lot for the nice pics. I have to repair a PSU, too and that will help a lot to reassemble the unit.

Concerning your crackling noises: Do you still have these noises when using the headphone jack? So you can diagnose if the crackling comes from the players electronics or from the amplifiers. Each speaker has his own amplifier as far as I know.

Is it possible that the cracking is caused by a defective connection inside one of the connectors. Maybe you should check this.

Moreover, maybe the cracking depends on the power stability. So I would check the 9.5V/19V PSU outputs with an oscilloscope or a memory digital multimeter to detect if the cracks are caused by a breaking down voltage for a moment.

Did you check your radio with a non-shielded PSU? If yes it is possible that under higher currents (louder play) the PSUs HF field distorts one or more of the internal amplifiers. I think you must shield the PSU like build in when testing.

Hope this helps. If not please write again. :D

Greetings from Germany.
DJans

DJans

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:38 am

Aaaron, one I forgot:

I would temporarily replace the PSU with an external 12V PSU like some users here wrote to check definitely if the distorting cracks are caused by your R1000s PSU or not.

Burkhardi

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:18 pm

DJans wrote:
Aaaron, one I forgot:

I would temporarily replace the PSU with an external 12V PSU like some users here wrote to check definitely if the distorting cracks are caused by your R1000s PSU or not.

Good point DJans, I was going to recommend that aaronferrucci use his bench power supply to power the unit to rule out the OEM PSU as the issue. Like you, I think it may be an amp issue since there are three class-d amps in there.
Note on the 12v supply, I have seen amp issue go away at 12 volts that are there at 19v and the output is a lot less with the 12V supply. I still want to measure it, but have not found the spare time yet. So if I were aaronferrucci, I would use the bench supply to try to power it and I can't recall from the picutres, but I think there were two bench supplies, if that is the case, set one for 9.5 and the other for 19 and if not, use the bench for the 19 and use a 12 wall-wart for the 9.5 for testing.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

aaronferrucci

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I was going to try running the r1000 off of my dual bench supply (only goes to 18V, but I figure that should work fine), but unfortunately, what was a very consistent crackling has turned into a very intermittent popping. Makes it tough to troubleshoot! I will try it out the bench supply experiment, after I get more of a sense of the pattern of the intermittency.

Some thoughts...
- it doesn't seem to be a shielding issue, since I don't hear crackling even when the shielding is not present
- it could be a heat-related issue, the r1000 was in a cold garage overnight, after which the problem became rare
- I haven't yet heard any popping from the headphones, so the amp theory is looking good (unless the power supply only causes crackling under the heavier speaker load)

aaronferrucci

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Follow-up - I did try the experiment of powering the r1000 solely from my bench supply. Result: continued crackling. So, I think that proves the crackling isn't the fault of the power supply. Therefore I reassembled the subwoofer/power supply module. The next step is to open the front module and see if I can determine a problem in one of the 3 amps. I'm hoping the front module is easier to take apart and reassemble!

DJans

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Aaron, have you listened on the headphone jack? It would be interesting to know if the cracks also appear when using the headphone jack. Maybe the crackling is not caused by the amps but by the electronics of the streamer/player.

FrankB

Re: r1000 disassembly notes, and a question

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:34 am

Thanks very much for the pictures. One of my R1000s died last Saturday at exactly 1 year and 2 weeks of usage. If Roku won't cover under warranty I'll have to follow your well documented footsteps.

aaronferrucci wrote:
I spent some time today disassembling my r1000 and replacing capacitors. The good news: after replacing an obviously damaged capacitor (C906, 220uF 35V), the r1000 shows signs of life. See photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronferru ... 593223550/

Frank