Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
aaronferrucci
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:25 am
Location: California, US

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 am

DJans wrote:
Aaron, have you listened on the headphone jack? It would be interesting to know if the cracks also appear when using the headphone jack. Maybe the crackling is not caused by the amps but by the electronics of the streamer/player.


DJans, when I plug headphones in, the crackling sounds vanish - the speakers are silent, and audio from the headphones is good. I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, "... maybe the crackling is not caused by the amps..."; does the fact that there's no problem on the headphones argue for the defective amp theory?
 
DJans
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:06 am
Location: Germany

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:17 am

Aaron,
thats exactly what it says. If the sound is OK using the headphone jack the player/streaming module is OK.

The crackling is independant from using the internal or your external PSU, so I would say the PSU is OK, too.

So in my view the crackling is definitely caused by one or more of the three amplifiers. Can you locale the crackling? Is it only one speaker or more than one that crackles?
 
aaronferrucci
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:25 am
Location: California, US

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:37 am

DJans wrote:
Aaron,
thats exactly what it says. If the sound is OK using the headphone jack the player/streaming module is OK.

The crackling is independant from using the internal or your external PSU, so I would say the PSU is OK, too.

So in my view the crackling is definitely caused by one or more of the three amplifiers. Can you locale the crackling? Is it only one speaker or more than one that crackles?


Excellent, my next step is to take apart the main (front? what do we call it?) module, and try disconnecting the amps in turn.

It's not obvious to me if it's only one, or both of the front-unit speakers which are crackling. I can tell though that it's not the subwoofer.
 
DJans
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:06 am
Location: Germany

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:48 pm

Is it possible to upload some pictures when opening the front? that would be great!
 
aaronferrucci
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:25 am
Location: California, US

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:46 am

DJans wrote:
Is it possible to upload some pictures when opening the front? that would be great!


Definitely - I hope to find some time to crack it open and take some photos in the next few days.
 
aaronferrucci
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:25 am
Location: California, US

r1000 front module disassembly: pictures, and a question

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:39 pm

I finally got around to taking some more pictures of my troublesome R1000. You can see them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronferru ... 978478343/
(There are two sets, one for the subwoofer/PSU disassembly, and the new one for the front module disassembly.)

So, I did some basic troubleshooting, by disconnecting the right, left and subwoofer speaker connectors individually. Result: one of the front speaker modules itself is at fault; it crackles when plugged into either of the two not-subwoofer sockets, while the other speaker sounds fine, plugged into either socket.

So: should I try taking the speaker itself apart? Is there hope to repair it? If not, is it time to go back to ebay, this time looking for broken R1000s?
 
zeken
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:30 am
Location: Toronto, ON Canada

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:43 pm

So has anyone figured out what I should do with my dead M1001 ?

I live in Toronto, Canada and hope someone knows who could repair the problem.

Just went dead overnight 2 days ago.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - you can email me directly at zeken@yahoo.com

Thanks
 
jdc1947
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:09 am
Location: EU

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:54 pm

>>>>> zeken

Read http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=20321 then use the "Search" button :wink:

The answer is there many times over -
 
aaronferrucci
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:25 am
Location: California, US

Re: r1000 front module disassembly: pictures, and a question

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:25 pm

aaronferrucci wrote:
I finally got around to taking some more pictures of my troublesome R1000. You can see them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronferru ... 978478343/
(There are two sets, one for the subwoofer/PSU disassembly, and the new one for the front module disassembly.)

So, I did some basic troubleshooting, by disconnecting the right, left and subwoofer speaker connectors individually. Result: one of the front speaker modules itself is at fault; it crackles when plugged into either of the two not-subwoofer sockets, while the other speaker sounds fine, plugged into either socket.

So: should I try taking the speaker itself apart? Is there hope to repair it? If not, is it time to go back to ebay, this time looking for broken R1000s?


I did take the speaker module apart, and updated the flickr set with some photos. Unfortunately, I don't see any obvious damage on the amplifier board.
 
davydymond
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: UK

Soundbridge Radio Hardware Failure

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:51 pm

My Radio has gone dead also, and it is just over a year old. I was using Software Version 3.0.49. I am not a happy bunny! I have emailed support and awaiting response.
 
alanmc
Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 am
Location: Bedfordshire - U.K.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:32 pm

@ davydymond

Like many other users in these forums, for whatever reason, you appear to share a reluctance to have your "Profile" show in which country you reside – By so doing you miss out on people being able to offer you "contacts" who possibly could assist you with your failed R1000.
 
DJans
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:06 am
Location: Germany

Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:12 am

Aaron, can you please send me your e-mail adress as PM. I have opened the speakers, too and there is less glue on the PCBs. I will send you a photo of the PCB that you can see the numbers of all parts maybe a little bit better and you can upload into your Flickr album.

One of my speakers digital amps is dead, too. So I have removed the digital amps boards completely and I will maybe place two KEMO M032 (12V/12W mono amp modules) instead. Use google to find it. Finally to use these I have to use a single 12V power supply then for my SB Radio..

Does somebody here know the configuration of the speaker connectors? I suppose there is a 19V switched wire so that the amps will be switched off in standby.
 
davydymond
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: UK

Location

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:04 am

alanmc wrote:
@ davydymond

Like many other users in these forums, for whatever reason, you appear to share a reluctance to have your "Profile" show in which country you reside – By so doing you miss out on people being able to offer you "contacts" who possibly could assist you with your failed R1000.


UK - Happy now?
 
alanmc
Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 am
Location: Bedfordshire - U.K.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:07 am

@ davydymond

From the 'tone' of your response I feel you may think that I have some concern about your profile !! I personally don't give a toss.

However, if you want people to assist you to the best of their ability then showing where you reside enables people like myself to let you know that if you send a PM to Pete (username g0pkh – http://forums.roku.com/profile.php?mode ... ile&u=5008) he will be able to repair your R1000. He is UK based.
 
aaronferrucci
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:25 am
Location: California, US

r1000: end of story

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:59 pm

I decided to remove the amp board from my faulty front speaker module, to enable a better visual inspection, and perhaps allow some scope work. Unfortunately, I damaged the board in two ways: cracked an inductor, let smoke out of a capacitor. So I think at this point it may not be worth trying to fix this speaker module.

Options:
1) Find a dead R1000, scavenge a front speaker module from it. Ebay doesn't have one at the moment, but I'll keep checking.
2) Locate a replacement front speaker module.
a) Anyone have one for sale?
b) Try to buy one from roku. Dunno if they'll do it, but I sent an email to their support line.

I've added two more pictures of the amp board to my flickr set, check it out if interested.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronferru ... 782154756/

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest