Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Carsten
Topic Author

Roku Failed to Wake Me Up On Time

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:47 pm

This is what happen to me this morning:

Last night I went to bed and everything was fine. I remember waking up at 12:30 AM and checking the clock, then fell back asleep.

Normally I get up at 7:10 AM which the Roku then Plays my favorite DI.FM station. This morning I woke up just because it was so bright today. So I decide hmm, why is it so bright outside. I checked the Roku and it said its 1:33 AM. From there I knew something wasnt right so I checked the clock on the Tivo/Cell Phone and they said 8:20 AM. The Roku failed for the 1st time in 1 year to wake me up.

Later today I checked the Time Zone on the configuration page and everything was fine... However, when I attempted to update time according to time.roku.com it didnt change anything. So I changed it to time.windows.com and attempted to update, but nothing happend again.

Did this happen to anyone else? Tonight I will have to set my Cell phone alarm as well. Wouldnt want to be late to work twice in a row.

Thoughts?

Carsten

Carsten
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:39 pm

Tonight something similiar happend again. The time was correct until 12:00 AM - 1:00 AM. Then it decided to switch to some funky time again. So during the middle of the night I rebooted which restored the proper time. However, this morning at 7.10 AM the alarm didnt go off again even though it was enabled.

Is my Roku completed flower?

My warrenty has expired. Looks like I am screwed, this is my 2nd Roku that blew up....

Can customer service do anything? I hope so, otherwise they will have lost a good customer (bought 4 Rokus, 1 of which is broken, and looks like my SB Radio had a stroke as well) :(

AmazinglySmooth

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:40 am

I have nothing to offer as help, but the same thing happened to me several months ago. It was not something I could reproduce, so I couldn't debug it.

ninerdick

Time Flips

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:22 am

Yes, this has happened to my roku Radio 3 or 4 times since the last upgrade: 3.0.44. If I pull the plug, wait a few moments and plug it back in, its fine again until the next time. I'll start a record of the date and time flip.

ithos

Re: Roku Failed to Wake Me Up On Time

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Carsten wrote:
This is what happen to me this morning:

Normally I get up at 7:10 AM which the Roku then Plays my favorite DI.FM station. This morning I woke up just because it was so bright today. So I decide hmm, why is it so bright outside. I checked the Roku and it said its 1:33 AM. From there I knew something wasnt right so I checked the clock on the Tivo/Cell Phone and they said 8:20 AM. The Roku failed for the 1st time in 1 year to wake me up.

I can only chime in with a "me too" response, but I'd like to provide some additional information since it just happened to me on the morning of January 15, 2008. This is the third time this has happened to me. (I've had the device since they were first introduced.)

Every time this has happened, the clock essentially stops functioning sometime during the middle of the night. Everything else functions on the Radio. A simple reboot seems to resolve the problem (except this last time, see below) but since it is impossible to predict, I am left wondering if I should occasionally reboot. But I eventually become complacent and don't.

This last time I had alarms set for 6:30 AM and 7:00 AM. I woke up and checked the time around 6:55-ish and noticed the clock said 11:58 (or something.. didn't really make note of the exact time). I immediately woke up my wife and rebooted the Radio. But the 7 AM alarm didn't go off either. I simply thought that maybe I didn't reboot in time, so I dismissed it. But to make sure everything was working, I set the 7 AM alarm to 7:15 AM. Sure enough, at 7:15, the alarm went off.

This morning, the 6:30 alarm didn't go off, even though the clock was apparently functioning. (I checked the clock at 6:40. And yes, both alarms were set, and the indicators were showing on the display.) So I'm convinced the Radio really did fail for the 7:00 AM alarm the day before as well. Resetting the 6:30 alarm to 6:45 resolved the problem, and the alarms at 6:45 and 7:15 both went off as scheduled.

Long story short: In the past, I've never had to "reset" the alarms, but just reboot the radio. This time, I've also had to reset BOTH alarms, even though both were set to "on" before and after the reboot. It's possible that I changed alarms in the past (e.g. it might have been a weekend) and unknowingly avoided the issue.

But you have been warned! You can't even trust the display.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I'm back to normal.

greggw

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:57 pm

The same thing happened to me earlier this month. (I'm sorry, I don't remember the date.) My wife and I each have a SB Radio on our nightstands. We woke up to find the time off on both radios. Unplugging and replugging the power cord reset the clocks. However, the alarm failed to work at the set time on the next morning. I had to change the alarm time by one minute. Next morning, the alarm operated normally.
Gregg

billd

Time jumped forward two months

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Me too. Last night the time jumped forward two months to March. Woke up one hour late with the display showing 2am. Power down/up forced it to go get the correct time.

bobinchicago

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:42 pm

Add mine to the list. I've often come home to the SB Radio playing when I knew I'd turned it off myself before I left in the morning. It turned out it was jumping back six hours (and ahead two months) and so the 7 AM alarm would go off again at 1 PM. Apparently the time would somehow self-correct before I got home. Amazing.

Resetting the time via the Web configuration page wasn't sufficient. Changing the time server to time.nist.gov seems to have gotten me through a day without losing the correct time, but we'll see. I'll have to leave another alarm clock on as a backup until I'm confident the SB Radio works.

My SB Radio is on 2.7.78 and I expect any fix to support 2.7.78.

DJans

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 pm

Hi folks,
what about your internet connection? Do you switch off your routers over night or is the radio still connect to the time server(s). Maybe it has got sth. to do with that...

bobinchicago

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:44 pm

I don't think that would make a difference... the SB Radio should simply retrieve the time from the NTP server when it's available, and increment it accurately per its internal clock when not. But for what it may be worth, my router's always on, and this is happening even now that I've pointed the SB Radio's time server to time.nist.gov (it happened again today). And it's SB Radio-specific, as my two M1001s have maintained accurate time. As I say, it's also happening to both 2.7.x and 3.0.x firmware.

DougRoku

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:15 am

Me too.

Soundbridge R1000, ver 3.0.44.

Lost time- showed sometime around 1:00 AM at 7:30 AM.
I restarted system, whcih fixed the time, but the alarm failed next morning (local FM stateion). Display for alarm time was OK. I Changed the alarm time, now is OK.

No indication of power loss or Internet disconnection.

Not Good !

jjd

This happened to me too

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 am

This just recently happened to me too.

Early in the morning (2am?) of Feb 11 2009, I woke up to find the time way way off on my R1000. It was set to 23:46 April 1, 2009. I rebooted the radio (half asleep) and when it came up it had the right time and the alarm was still set so I went back to sleep.

In the morning, the alarm didn't sound. Rebooting again didn't help. Again this morning, the alarm didn't go off.

I'm running the latest beta (3.0.52 I think?). My network infrastructure is always up and sound. It is configured to use an NTP server on the local network that synchronizes with two stratum 1 ntp servers. No other ntp clients on the local network had any problems. There were no power failures.

I see one suggestion above that I should change the alarm time to try to get alarms working again. I'll try that tonight.

--Jim Dempsey--

gcd0865

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:32 pm

This has happened to me too, on all three of my Rokus (M1001 and R1000), but never to any two at the same time (odd...). One unit in one room will have some weird time and date, while the other two are fine. My router is on all the time as well. Rebooting the unit always corrects the problem immediately. Fortunately, I've never had an alarm missed on my R1000 (maybe it's just a matter of time).

humba

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:49 am

This happens to me on regular, but lengthy intervals (one to two times a year). The clock gets completely out of whack and the only thing to get it back is unplugging the power.
This happend to me yesterday (Sunday) and unfortunately since the intervals are so long, I forgot that I also had to reset my wakeup time - they were still set but of course didn't trigger this morning so I overslept by several hours (not the first time). Changed the wakeup times and now the alarms trigger again (changing it by 1 minute without disabling/enabling already does the trick).

Before coming here looking for any other people having the problem (last time I came here there weren't as many with the problem) I visited the feature request forum and found an interesting post that seems to have something to do with it: here. Poster claims there's a number overflow that makes the clock go nuts. But that only explains why the clock misbehaves, not why the alarms don't trigger anymore. Then again it certainly is connected since the alarms only misfire when the clock has gone nuts.

It's been a while since this last happened and I recall there's been a power outage once or twice so that would explain why it has been so long (and why I didn't recall to reset the alarms after the reboot) - I figure many people probably don't have the device up and running for many months without interruption so that problem never happens to them.

AmazinglySmooth

Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 am

I notice about a week ago that my clock was off by about 14 hours. I left it to see if it would ever fix itself. After two days, I gave up and pulled the plug. The time was corrected after reboot. Seems like they need a sentry to reboot the thing--sad. But, what is even more sad, is that they won't fix it. I'd be real money that they have no developers assigned to this product.

I've given up using the R1000 as an alarm clock by itself. I always have a backup. And, on days that I must wake up on time, I pull the plug and repower it the night before.