Check your inbox...

willjam

Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Thanks, I will try that.

willjam

Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:31 pm

RokuLyndon wrote:
Check your inbox...

Lyndon, I did not get anything in my e-mail from you and there is nothing in my Roku message inbox.

Bill

srigby

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:11 am

This is the third Soundbridge Radio I have had die on me.

It seems to be the turning off / turning on at the power point that kills mine. I go away for a month at a time, so of course I turn it off at the power-point.

Just got back, turned it on at the power-point, nothing.

willjam

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:53 am

We had a similiar situation at my office with Gateway computers. The caps swelled and caused failures. Gateway did a recall and replaced the motherboards. If this is an ongoing problem with Roku, then I would think they would do an inspection and do a recall. It is ridiculous to have a electronic unit fail is such a short period of time. If a electronic device is going to fail, it usually does do within a couple of hours, not 1 to 3 years out.

If this is your third unit to fail, then there is definitely a defect somewhere.

mkuhnert

Mine just died too

Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:06 pm

It is one with a Pinnacle sticker, though.

It was powered on all the time, most of the time it was in stand-by.

It died after about 1 year.

rdpeat

Dead Soundbridge

Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:29 am

Soundbridge lasted 5 months.
It was kept on standby virtually all the time.
[Edit - yippee it's decided to work again.]
[Edit - more of the same. It seems to start up OK again eventually if I disconnect it from the mains when I'm not using it/when it has gone dead.]
Ray

NumberNone

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:55 am

Found my unit is now dead after 9 months. Never ran hot, been well looked after, and reading this forum I can only surmise that the power supply components inside the unit are substandard. Which on a product that costs this much is disgraceful.

Very poor.

Wondercow

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:11 am

NumberNone wrote:
Found my unit is now dead after 9 months. Never ran hot, been well looked after, and reading this forum I can only surmise that the power supply components inside the unit are substandard. Which on a product that costs this much is disgraceful.

Very poor.

The good news is that it's still under warranty and the power issue is fixed on all new/repaired radios. Contact support to get it repaired.
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

alanmc

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:38 pm

@ wondercow

You mention the ‘good-news’ factor of this owner’s R1000 still being under warranty but fail to make any comment on his opinion, shared by many others, that this product’s PSU has proven to be substandard in far too many cases.

As the ex-owner of a R1000 that also failed some 5 months after I had (luckily) sold it, I am of the opinion that Roku should pay all shipping-costs to/from them in the event of any R1000 that fails for this reason having to be returned whilst under warranty if it had been purchased DIRECTLY from them.

I also feel that it is long past the time that Roku should have advised/posted a list of “Approvedâ€

hugo_

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:54 pm

Agree. It's been said several times that new radios are shipped with better PSU's, but they're not it seems. It is such a shame that this product is suffering from something so simple. What I find difficult to understand is that all of these issues are so out in the open. Roku keep their forums open, but all they get from it is anti-advertisement because of this power issue. What is going on?

alanmc

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:40 pm

By having regular responses by a Roku Engineer I feel it would compliment the marketing of the SoundBridge, however currently these forums highlight Roku management’s ongoing strategy of ignoring it's customer’s opinions and criticisms, thus anyone who casually arrives here and reads them in order to review the product-range cannot help but see a very biased viewpoint created by the ongoing negative reports of failed R1000s.

Roku adopted this questionable policy several years ago, and they don’t seem to have learned the lesson that openness and communication creates a stronger bond between themselves and their customer-base.

hugo_

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:33 pm

It seems Lyndon is the only one active on the forums now and then. And only a very limited amount of time. But as helpful as he can it seems...

With the R1000 them seemed to be very quick in replacing the units. Not so much a problem there. And my radio works again, that seems the main thing. But if you're not up for some soldering fun, the radio might be a disappointment... :)

Didn't they just release a new beta as well?

rajt

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:32 pm

My M1001 died after 13 months.

I had mine plugged in all the time in standby, as it is an alarm clock too !

rajt

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:20 am

Sorry I meant R1000 (Soundbridge Radio) and not M1001.

Looks like there is no good will for this 'factory defect' even though I am out of warranty by only 3 weeks.....

Dell replaced my battery on my laptop 1 month after warranty expired and there wasn't even a 'factory defect' with them !

Come on Roku !!!!!