Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Riggsbie
Topic Author

Pinnacle/Roku Soundbridge Radio and Slimserver NAS

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi

I recently bought a Pinnacle/Roku Soundbridge Radio and had no problems setting it up with my WPA WiFi network and it works superbly with a uPNP NAS server.......

I also run 2 x Squeezeboxes with a QNAP NAS with Slimserver on it and was hoping if someone could tell me whether or not the Soundbridge Radio will work with Slimserver ?

I did a search and there are some old posts saying it used to work but no newer posts.....

Can anyone tell me definitively "yes" or "no" ? It would be good to run just one NAS with Slimserver.....

Thanks a lot !

Riggsbie

mrshades

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:29 am

Yes, I run SlimServer 6.5 with 3.0.51 (latest beta) on the SoundBridge Radio and it works fine. Also run AlienBBC plugin for access to "listen again", which works.

Only minor problems I've found so far:

1. Font is small, and cannot be changed.
2. Bass/treble controls don't appear to work.

I can't say that I've used it extensively, as to be honest, I prefer to listen to Internet Radio through the SoundBridge native interface (and have things like CallerID integrated with it) - but it appears to work fine with the minor dabbling that I've done.

Riggsbie
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:08 pm

Hi MrShades,

Thanks for your reply, I will check what SlimServer software version my NAS is running and likewise what version of software is on my Soundbridge Radio......

Cheers dude !

Riggsbie
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:30 pm

I checked my Slimserver and it's on 6.2 so I guess that'll need an update.....

Thanks for your help

bpa

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:01 am

There is probably no need to upgrade except to perhaps 6.3.1. Unlike a real Squeezebox, there is no firmware update for Soundbridge from Slimserver. As it appears to Slimserver, the Soundbridge is always at firmware 40 as it pretends to be an SB1.

Most of the 6.5 stuff either improve SB2/3 functionality which is not availble to Soundbridge as it emulates an SB1. SS 6.5 also separate database from Slimserver which result in worse performance on a NAS type systems.

Riggsbie
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks for your wisdom.....

After more research it does look indeed that my QNAP TS101 will struggle with 6.5 version of slimserver......

Next dumb question, how easy is it to upgrade the NAS software and exactly which version of slimserver will I need. :D

bpa

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:14 am

how easy is it to upgrade the NAS software

Slimdevices/Logitech only provide standard installations for Windows, x86 Linux and Mac OSX. All other slimserver installation will be "custom".

How to upgrade depends on the NAS and who installed it. If a vendor installed it (e.g. QNAP, Infrant) then upgrade is usually straightforward nut you will have limited choice of which version. If the instrallation was done following instruction from another user (e.g Linkstation) - upgrade will depend on whether the user has written upgrade instructions and created an upgrade package.

exactly which version of slimserver will I need.

What functionality do you need ? The latest version will have the most functionality but you may not need it or be able to use it.

Main changes for 6.5 was a separate database which improved performance on "PC" type platofrms. IIRC 6.5 also introduced proper support for Pandora and I think Rhapsody for SB3 but if you are not in the US or have an SB1 or Soundridge - these are not available.

6.2.2 is adequate for most but 6.3.1 is probably the best compromise as it has some significant bug fixes when handling tags.

jastewart

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:46 am

Before I put the M400 on eBay, I would like to have one final go at getting "listen again" streams through my hi-fi. I am encouraged by mrshades experience, but can someone explain how I "see" the slimserver/alienbbc service on the M400 itself? All is working fine at the PC end - I can listen again to anything I want.
The M400 works ok in all other respects of course, I just want to know how to get the SB to see the SlimServer.

I already have a WMP server running and detected fine. The s/w versions are as mrshades (slimserver 6.5 and SB latest beta). I have set security in the ss to allow the correct address range to connect, but incoming connections are not blocked anyway.

Thanks

James.

dahorne

M400 and Slimserver

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:19 pm

James,

I am pretty new to this, but asked a similar question the other day (I also have an M400 which I am happy with apart from inability to play BBC Listen again and podcasts.

I set up Slimserver with AlienBBC and that works fine on the PC - even works with Softsqueeze - but I can't get it to recognise the M400. I could play all Listen again channels etc straight away. But the M400 will not identify the Slimserver and Slimserver can't find the player.

I checked the forums and found two posts that explained why the M400 could never work with Slimserver (display is too small).

I asked the same question as you - see the thread at http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=16108

Note the post from "Oldgeezer" - I am going to try this as soon as I have some spare time.

dahorne

Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Well I spent a happy few hours playing around with AlienBBC and eventually found the plugin file containing the code that tests for the presence of a compatible sound player. Having edited it out, I can actually hear the mp3 stream on the M400 :)

Happy to provide details privately if you don't already have the info

Not that I am interested in using this for the M400 as it's obviously necessary to "control" the stream from slimserver

I just wanted to convince myself that the Pinnacle version of Roku Soundbridge Radio would be usable with AlienBBC. From other posts, it looks like the SB Radio does look to Slimserver like a player, so should be able to control Slimserver from it's controls / remote :)

SunnySekot

Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:47 am

Hi!
With Slimserver I´m a newbie.
I have a German Pinnacle Homebridge (I have two of them and I like them a lot) which,
I have concluded from this forum, should be a M400.
1. Is this right?
Then I read, that the M400 will never work with Slimserver, due to its character-display :cry:
2. Is this right?
And then I read, it should be possible to connect the M400 via Slimserver:9001/mp3.stream. I tried it: My homebridge doesnt connect, is always trying to do a new try on the stream. Stream itself is working, tested the URL on PC with Winamp. So:
3. Did anybody manage to connect a M400 to Slimserver:9001? How?
At least I read that dahorne managed to make a connection by editing out some file, but unfortunately refused to tell in the forum how he managed to do that. Dahorne seems to be offline, so: :?
4. Does anybody know how to do that - and might tell me?

Thanks!
I`m quite frustrated, coz I have a big urge to connect my Homebridges to Slimserver, otherwise I`ll have to put them on ebay, which I dont want to, coz I like them really bad! :shock:
-------------------------------------------
by the way: I love the Soundbridge!!

bpa

Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:23 am

M400 will not work with Slimserver as emulation is removed from firmware.

Should be possible to stream but the port number to be used depends on how you have installed Slimservers. Normnally slimserver uses port 9000 but if there is already a server using port 9000 users normally goto 9001. The port number is a slimserver configuration poarameter.

The dahorne issues only relates to the AlienBBC plugin and not to streaming to stream.mp3 in general.

SunnySekot

Mp3Stream works, but no Synchronize possible?

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:04 am

Hi,

Thank you BPA for your answer!
Is there a known firmware for the Roku Homebridge which allows Slimserver to see it as a Squeezebox and steer it? (And where might I get it?)

My Slimserver runs on Port 9001 for I have TwonkyServer on 9000.
I managed now to let my 2 Homebridges run on Slimserver:9001/stream.mp3 :D
Homebridge sees Slimserver, says "Welcome" and from Slimserver Webinterface I can feed my Homebridge with music. Homebridge plays.
So far so good, BUT:
I cannot syncronize my homebridges with anything. I tried it whith Softsqueeze (running 2 on 2 different pcs), but they can only synchronize each other!
Also the Slimserver-Webinterface doesnt allow me to sync anything to my Rokus (on /stream.mp3).
Does anybody know a trick how to tell Slimserver it shoud also allow me to syncronize my Homebridges (which are seen and to be steered by the webinterface by the /stream.mp3 trick! :shock:

by the way: I love the Soundbridge!!

bpa

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:26 pm

There is no firmware for M400 which has Squeezebox emulation.

You cannot sync stream.mp3 interface. Slimserver does not implement sync in stream.mp3 as Slimserver cannot/monitor the amount data in the playing device.

yannlieb

Synology DS207+ with FW722 - Package Squeezecenter 7.2

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:57 am

Hi,

With latest firmware, Synology offers the possibility to install Squeezecenter 7.2 as a package, which is far more user friendly than the installation of the firefly SVN media server (and also allows firmware updates without having to re-install manually installed software).

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it work with my R1000.

Which brings me to the following questions :
* Has anyone managed to have it work ?
* Even better, has anyone seen a ready-to-install package of firefly 1696 for DS207+ (Marvel mv5281 - PPC based)

Thanks,
Yann