Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

zieglerc
Topic Author

Can Roku confirm that new R1000s are no longer defective?

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:39 am

Roku seems to keep telling folks to get their units replaced when they die, but speaking as someone who uses their R1000 daily as their one and only alarm clock, I'd like some sort of acknowledgment that the company understands the problem and has taken steps to resolve it, rather than continuing to manufacture and sell defective radios.

Can we get an official comment on this?

RokuLyndon

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:14 pm

I'd have to check to find the exact state this was put in place, but there is now a solution in place that addresses a source of power related failures. This fix is applied to all new and replacement radios.

If you purchase a new radio from roku.com right now, or if your radio is replaced now, or has been replaced in the last couple months, your unit has the fix applied.

DJans

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi Lyndon,
thanks for the info. Is it allowed for you to write some details for those who want to (let) fix the capacitor locally?

SuzieQ

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:24 am

For the capacitor replacement, take a look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dolby4

Wally01

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:32 am

Lyndon,

I'm also interesed in your response. Perhaps a serial number range of corrected units? I just received a R1000 today via Amazon.com and need to know if I should send it back.

vic vega

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:56 am

Hi Lyndon,

Please post a serial number range of corrected units. I just bought a R1000 from overseas and wonder if it is fixed.

Please also provide instructions for fixing the PSU problem locally (would save us time and money).

/Vic

vic vega

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:50 am

vic vega wrote:
Please post a serial number range of corrected units.
Please also provide instructions for fixing the PSU problem locally...

Roku, you dont know? or you just ignore this issue?

neworleansla

Dead twice in one year.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:44 pm

I have another dead Radio. It has also been over 48 hours and no help. This is an expensive device and unacceptable to die every six months.

So the folks on this forum say there is a known defect. Why is there not a recall to fix the poor components? It is simple enough to provide people with dead and known defective power supplies the back end of the radio. Do this instead of wasting my time with slow non responsive tech support and shipping to and from.

Yes you may be able to tell I am not happy.

Can someone be of assitance here?

MikeG

Burkhardi

Re: Dead twice in one year.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:53 pm

neworleansla wrote:
I have another dead Radio. It has also been over 48 hours and no help. This is an expensive device and unacceptable to die every six months.

So the folks on this forum say there is a known defect. Why is there not a recall to fix the poor components? It is simple enough to provide people with dead and known defective power supplies the back end of the radio. Do this instead of wasting my time with slow non responsive tech support and shipping to and from.

Yes you may be able to tell I am not happy.

Can someone be of assitance here?

MikeG

Contact RokuLyndon via private message on this forum or email him. I assume you emailed Roku for support? Did you get a conformation email from their mail daemon? You should have gotten at least that. If not, check your Spam and junk filters/folders/settings.

Hang in there, they are good people and will take care of you.
Reagrds, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Burkhardi

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Caution: RANT:

This is just my 2-cents, but this is why in my opinion companies don't want to release ANY INFO to anyone, it can open a can of worms. They are better off just ignoring the customers.

Is that what everyone wants? I think not…

This is also not directed at anyone, just as an overall feeling on my part, so please don’t take this post personal. I just want to give another angle to think about.

I think it is upstanding that a Roku Rep has come forward and said that not only has the issue been addressed, but all unit going out (both new and replacements) have been updated. I also think it’s great that Roku has addressed this, verse just letting it slide.

If they put the serial numbers down, then everyone and their grandmother would be sending them back in to Roku, demanding a replacement for something that is not a gross failure. Sure you see traffic here on the site about it, but not a lot of people use forums (they just read them) and 98% of the time people only post when they have a beef or issue and not because they are happy, the happy ones are out enjoying life.

IHMO, they would loose their butt if they replaced them all. It's not a recall, it’s an update. Does your Chevy dealer give you a new car when there is an undated design, no, if it brakes they fix it with the updated/superseded part and your good to go. I had an issue with the flywheel on my 2001 2500HD crew-cab and they fixed it. Did they tell every owner that below a certain VIN that they have this possible defective flywheel to come have their transmission pulled so they can put in free flywheels? No, they fix the issue as it happens, if it happens. Some people may say, well I don’t care if they go broke, I paid good money and I want a replacement. Well that is nice and all, but I would rather have a company that is still in business to support my $300 radio, then a updated radio from a company that had to go under and I have a $300 radio w/ no support or development. This is not Microsoft, speaking of that, did Microsoft replace everyone’s X-Box 360 with a new one once it was clear that some units had power supply issues (the three flashing red lights), no, they are doing like Roku and taking care of the ones that fail, when they fail. Both companies are stepping up IMHO.

If they sent owners parts to fix their own units, or directions on what to do, it would be a leagal nightmare when someone kills them self from working on a unit still pluged into the wall outlet or burns the house down putting the supply in wrong. Let the people that know what they are doing, do it.

I have a R1000 that is alomst 2yrs old and doing fine thus far (knock on wood).

Roku has replaced units that are past their warranty period. They don't have to do that, but they did, that is a company that is taking care of their customer and value their customers (at least IMHO).

Off my soap box, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Wondercow

Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
Caution: RANT:

Off my soap box, Matt

Great post :D
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

S80_UK

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:08 am

Agree entirely! You make several good points, Matt, and you make them well.

And the same philosophy can be applied to firmware updates. Roku are under no obligation to update the firmware in their customer's products except where there are bugs that actually stop things working as originally intended. They had no obligation to provide many of the things they have added which we can all benefit from in our older products. Yet still they do so. All kudos to them.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

jdc1947

Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:11 am

There IS a known-fault that has ‘surfaced’ in a few R1000 radios, and Roku (to date) have honourably dealt with this issue - albeit on occasions there may have been some minor reporting hiccups. I see no point in users of this device continuing to keep posting to threads like this one given that Roku plainly ARE supporting their product.

Thank goodness my Roberts WM-201 Internet Radio has a very conventional power supply with a large built in mains transformer and conventional voltage regulators for the digital electronics.

It also supports play-back of MP3, WMA, AAC, Real Audio, AIFF & FLAC as well as uncompressed WAV files. It can access folders or drives "shared" on the network; the bass and treble levels can easily be adjusted from the front panel, and there are four alarm timers (each alarm may individually be set to operate Once, Everyday, Weekly, on Weekdays or at Weekends).

RokuLyndon

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:50 am

neworleansla,

Unless this is a different RMA, I sent your RMA return directions, including RMA number, on 3/14.

Lyndon

RokuLyndon

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:51 am

On the first part of the question to me, all units that have been modified have a "void if removed" warranty sticker on the bottom, whether they are new or refurb.