Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

lisacor
Topic Author

Difference between M1000/m1001 and M1001

Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:23 am

Looking on Amazon they have a M1000/M1001 and a M1001. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Price is $138.99 for the former and $147.51 although the latter changes almost daily.

jdc1947

Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:02 am

At the top of each forum-page there is a "Search-Button" - You will find this topic, along with a comprehensive answer to your question has been covered on numerous occasions :wink:

fshagan

Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:40 am

Not sure "search" would work for at least part of this question.

Amazon provides a selling platform for quite a few dealers, and you sometimes will get more than one listing for a particular product. I don't know how the products are initially set up, but I suspect one dealer has the product listed as "M1000/M1001" and the other as just "M1001" so Amazon creates separate pages for it. They should be on one page.

When you look at the listings themselves, you'll see a different "sold by" name under the price. Read the feedback for each dealer by clicking on the name; I choose mine after seeing that one dealer responded quickly to complaints posted there, while the other never did.

The phpBB search function returns nearly everything with any of the words in it; I've found it mostly useless unless you want to do hours of reading posts. I do search the forums using Google with "site:rokulabs.com" as the first part of the search, and then the search phrase. It works much better.

The first hit using "site:rokulabs.com differences between M1000 and M1001" as the search phrase in Google brings up this post (!) and then the fourth result is at http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=54249:

1001 is the newest model, and may still be errantly called the M1000 in many places (even here on the fora). 1001 has jacks on the back, instead of on the end, consequently the endcaps on the M1001 are fixed, and removeable on the M1000. M1001 wireless is on-board the chip, M1000 uses a WiFi compactflash, again under a removeable endcap. M1001 samples at 48, so 44 content is upsampled, some claim to be able to hear distortion in very quiet passages possibly from the result of this upsampling.

The other problem with search is that you end up getting old information sometimes, especially if firmware has changed. For instance, that post mentions that the M1001 does not yet support WPA wireless security. It now does. I don't know if the M1000 is also able to be upgraded to support it or not.

Wondercow

Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:07 pm

fshagan wrote:
Not sure "search" would work for at least part of this question.
The phpBB search function returns nearly everything with any of the words in it; I've found it mostly useless unless you want to do hours of reading posts. I do search the forums using Google with "site:rokulabs.com" as the first part of the search, and then the search phrase. It works much better.

1) Ain't that the truth! These boards (any system that uses phpBB) are flower to search :evil:
2) Thanks for the great tip about Google! I didn't know one could specify the site! Wonderful :D

I don't know if the M1000 is also able to be upgraded to support it or not.

The M1000 (and M2000) cannot and will never do WPA, unfortunately.
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

fshagan

Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Wondercow wrote:
1) Ain't that the truth! These boards (any system that uses phpBB) are flower to search :evil:
2) Thanks for the great tip about Google! I didn't know one could specify the site! Wonderful :D

Yep, phpBB's search function has never worked well (but perhaps they have changed it in v3 that is out now; I transferred my forums to SMF a long time ago and have never looked back ... no spam and "one click" upgrades to the new versions from the Admin panel).

Anyway, its slightly off-topic except to say to people that using Google is probably a better solution for searching these forums than using phpBB's built in search function!

David Howell

M1001 versus M1000

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Someone wrote that these two models are confused, "even on the Forum." May I suggest one reason. I just looked at my Soundbridge to send a problem to Support (It suddenly stops sending a signal to my receiver and will no longer recover when I unplug it) and the machine very clearly says M1000 right on the front. That should be that! But then I noticed someone saying that on the M1000 the connections are on the end. So I looked more closely. Although ROKU tells me on the front of my machine that it is an M1000, if you look closely at the serial number on the back it says M1001. Hmmm! I guess it isn't just the folks on the forum that don't know the difference. The people who design the graphics on the machine itself don't know the difference either. :oops:

Dave Howell
David C. Howell

Burkhardi

Re: M1001 versus M1000

Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:25 pm

David Howell wrote:
Someone wrote that these two models are confused, "even on the Forum." May I suggest one reason. I just looked at my Soundbridge to send a problem to Support (It suddenly stops sending a signal to my receiver and will no longer recover when I unplug it) and the machine very clearly says M1000 right on the front. That should be that! But then I noticed someone saying that on the M1000 the connections are on the end. So I looked more closely. Although ROKU tells me on the front of my machine that it is an M1000, if you look closely at the serial number on the back it says M1001. Hmmm! I guess it isn't just the folks on the forum that don't know the difference. The people who design the graphics on the machine itself don't know the difference either. :oops:

Dave Howell

When it first boots up (after plugging the unit in to the power supply after it was unplugged), what does it say? It should say M1001 Let the Music Play or something to that effect.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

alanmc

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:28 pm

ROKULABS THEMSELVES HAVE CAUSED THIS CONFUSION:

Whilst you may find that your Roku-branded M1001 unit has “SoundBridge M1000â€