Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ccomley
Topic Author

WiFI not connecting - SbRadio.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 am

I bought a s/h SB Radio.

I powered it up - it logged in at once to my home router (Zyxel Prestige 661H) and played stations happily.

I took it to another house, where I powered it up. It failed to find the original router, no surprise. It looked atound, found my router at THIS house (identical model Zyxel Prestige 661H) and listed its SSID. I said, yes, connect to that. It said "right - restarting.... " then "... failed to connect to LaVerr1".

Digging in the menus shows the network status as "Lost Connection". All IP data shows zeros.

I've tried rebooting a couple of times? What else can I try? I'd try new firmware - jsut as soon as I can get it talking to this router so I can load it.

(Who thought it was a good idea to have no ethernet port? Means I can't use the unit at *all* for it's orginal intended purpose where there is only 802.11a WiFi)

There is no security enabled on the WiFi (nor was there on the original wich worked.)
I have to be getting the SSID right coz it's autodetecting it - oh yes it *sees* the access point, lists it, tehn.. can't talk to it. Huh?

I can't take it back to the oriignal router to play with, it's 900 miles away. I may be able to borrow a second access point here.

I'm going to try changing this access ponit from B/G to G-Only and see if that helps - otherwise, I'm mystified.

ccomley
Topic Author

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:16 am

Hmm. This model router won't let me select g-only.

BTW< to be clear, there's NO security of any sort on the WiFi. No WEP, no WPA, no Mac-level filtering, etc...

DHCP pool is big enough.

ROuter defffo working - am talking through it to enter these posts - which are via my brand NEW .aptop that the router has never seen before today, which connected first try.

I've just done a Factory Reset on this unit (3.0.44 by the way) in case it had any "left over" settings. After going through the initial setup from the top, I get the same "Can't find open WiFi network" followed by listing the networks it can see (only one - mine - LaVerr1) which I then choose, say "no password required", it reboots and... fails to connect.

ccomley
Topic Author

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:02 am

The answer appears to be "SBR doesn't support 802.11g".

The new router f/w allowed me to turn off G+, but to no effect. Almost as a throw-away I flipped the AP from 802.1g-only to 802.1b-only and... by the time I got to thebedroom it was all connected in!

ccomley
Topic Author

Sun May 04, 2008 1:16 am

bregent wrote:
>The answer appears to be "SBR doesn't support 802.11g".

I believe that all of the SB devices are B only. So you need to run in B mode or mixed (which it sounds like did not work for you).

Confirmed - Mixed-mode didn't work. I have often found this. I was surprised that the SBR didn't support "G" however.