Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Boulderite
Topic Author

Another dead Radio: Roku support

Thu May 01, 2008 1:31 pm

Note: this issue has now been resolved.

Roku has kindly agreed to honor my radio's warranty, even though it is 7 months past the 1-year period. Thanks very much to Lyndon for his quick customer support efforts. This decision demonstrates a strong commitment by Roku to its customers.

My apologies, if others feel that I have belabored the issue on this forum.

Richard

Original post:

My SoundBridge radio died last week, from the same electrical malfunction reported by numerous other customers on this board. I have treated the radio with care since I purchased it; it has merely sat next to my bed, virtually never having been moved. Saturday it simply refused to turn on.

Customer support never responded to my query. RokuLyndon did respond to my direct message to him. He wrote that because I have owned it for 1 year and 7 months, the warranty has expired and Roku will charge $199 to repair the radio. I guess I'm unlucky that my radio lived past a year. Had it broken like the rest of them before 1 year, Roku would repair it.

I'm stunned by Roku's handling of this design flaw and their treatment of their once-loyal customers. Their message seems to be that their radios are designed to last 1 year, and that customer should be happy to spend $300 for the privilege. I for one, would prefer a company that stands by its products, admits its errors, and works to increase customer loyalty.

Do they expect me to pay $199 annually?

If your radio has died, and Roku has refused to acknowledge its fault in the electrical design, I urge you to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau at https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx.

Richard
Last edited by Boulderite on Fri May 02, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Burkhardi

Re: Another dead Radio: Stunningly poor Roku support

Thu May 01, 2008 2:00 pm

Boulderite wrote:
Do they expect me to pay $199 annually?

Per this post and RokuLyndon, the issue has been addressed and the addressed units have a "Warranty Void" sticker on them that is the key sign that you have the right unit.

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=16190

RokuLyndon wrote:
I'd have to check to find the exact state this was put in place, but there is now a solution in place that addresses a source of power related failures. This fix is applied to all new and replacement radios.

If you purchase a new radio from roku.com right now, or if your radio is replaced now, or has been replaced in the last couple months, your unit has the fix applied.

RokuLyndon wrote:
On the first part of the question to me, all units that have been modified have a "void if removed" warranty sticker on the bottom, whether they are new or refurb.

Hope this is helpful, Matt

Edit: For use of wrong quote and for the explanation of such
Last edited by Burkhardi on Thu May 01, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Boulderite
Topic Author

Thu May 01, 2008 2:17 pm

As I wrote on the other posting, about Amazon, I received the explanation that I need to pay $199 for the fix from Lydon himself. He wrote me today. As far as my experience would show, the issue is not addressed and Roku has refused to repair my radio for free, despite their radio's design flaw.

Wondercow

Thu May 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Boulderite wrote:
As far as my experience would show, the issue is not addressed . . .

Your experience? Did you buy a random selection of units with the "void" sticker and test them? Seriously though, Roku has fixed the problem—according to Lyndon—and all new or repaired units include the fix. I guess "your experience" is that your radio died, but that doesn't mean that the issue isn't addressed; Roku can't magically beam a fix into your unit (though it would be nice :) )
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

fshagan

Thu May 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Boulderite wrote:
As I wrote on the other posting, about Amazon, I received the explanation that I need to pay $199 for the fix from Lydon himself. He wrote me today. As far as my experience would show, the issue is not addressed and Roku has refused to repair my radio for free, despite their radio's design flaw.

They aren't legally obligated to, even if it is a "design flaw", unless your state has an implied warranty that overrides the manufacturer's limited warranty statement. Some states do, so you can check online at your state attorney general's web site. Its nearly impossible for a company to keep track of the patchwork of implied warranty laws, so doing some research and providing the information to the company is your best bet.

Otherwise, they have no legal obligation to fix your radio for free once the limited warranty term has expired.

Boulderite
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2008 5:32 am

I understand fully that Roku does not have a legal requirement to fix my radio. I also understand that Roku says that they have improved currently sold radios. Those aren't the issues.

My issue is that Roku knows that they sold me a defective radio and that they refuse to repair it. Yes, the warranty has expired. No questions about that. Yes, Roku claims to have made improvements. No questions about that. (Although we'll have to wait another 1.5 years to know if the new capacitors etc. will survive for the long term).

My point is that the Roku radio is expensive, and when people buy one they expect the radio to work longer than the 1-year warranty. Charging people an outrageous $199 to fix a radio that the company has acknowledged was defective when it went out the factory door is simply an uncaring attitude that shows little concern for their customers.

How would Roku expect the build consumer's trust, in a new product field, if their products are known to last only a year?

Burkhardi

Fri May 02, 2008 5:52 am

Just my 2-cents and worthless opinion...

I don't think it was $199 to fix the radio, I think it was $199 for a refurb unit, right (which the refurb has the "Void" sticker with the update)? I think that is not even minus a core charge, so you can keep the dead/broken one you have now. I may be totally off base here, but that is what I thought the deal was?

Have you looked into getting your current unit repaired by a third party perhaps?

Perhaps use the energy that you have been using passively spamming the board about your issues the past two days (which is a bummer no less, and I too would not be happy that my $300 radio broke) to email Lyndon again and politely plead your case again? What tone did you use when you asked the first time, did you demand a fix or ask them what they can do? Roku has seemed to be flexible in the past in regards to the R1000 and the warranty.

Anyway, I know what a bummer it is to have a high dollar gadget fail, even when it’s close to double the warranty period, it still is a bummer.
Just thinking out loud here, good luck, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Boulderite
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2008 6:28 am

I tried the polite approach, to which Lyndon replied with the $199 response.

vin

Fri May 02, 2008 6:36 am

Quick question:
I just got my new SB and I love it, but reading your posts makes me a little nervous about its lifespan.

Do the SB RADIOS die from powerplant failure or is it the other SB units (the "tubes" that you hook up on a stereo)... or both?
Vince

Boulderite
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2008 6:45 am

For me it was the radio. Evidently brand new units now sold have a fix that might solve the problem. I don't know if the tube units (m1001 etc.) have the same issue. My M1001 is still working fine after about 2 years.

Burkhardi

Fri May 02, 2008 7:36 am

Hi Vince,
Re-read the second post down, second quote and you will see that units that have a "Warranty Void if Removed" (or something to that effect) have been updated. Does your unit have this sticker?

This issue we are talking about here is the R1000 Soundbridge Radio, not the M1001 (M500, M1000, M2000) Soundbridge. The R1000 has an internal supply and the M series has an external power adaptor (wall-wart).

Hope this clears some stuff up, Matt

vin wrote:
Quick question:
I just got my new SB and I love it, but reading your posts makes me a little nervous about its lifespan.

Do the SB RADIOS die from powerplant failure or is it the other SB units (the "tubes" that you hook up on a stereo)... or both?

dupondt

Fri May 02, 2008 7:39 am

Boulderite wrote:
I don't know if the tube units (m1001 etc.) have the same issue.

Unlike the Soundbridge Radio (R1000) the "tube units" (M400, M500, M1000, M1001, M2000) have external PSUs, so a) they don't have that issue and b) if the PSU dies, it's easy and affordable to replace it.

Greetings from Germany (where we have a statutory two year warranty)
dupondt

EDIT: D'oh! Matt was quicker on the draw...
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

Boulderite
Topic Author

Issue resolved

Fri May 02, 2008 1:29 pm

Roku has kindly agreed to honor my radio's warranty, even though it is 7 months past the 1-year period. Thanks very much to Lyndon for his quick customer support efforts. This decision demonstrates a strong commitment by Roku to its customers.

My apologies, if others feel that I have belabored the issue on this forum.

Richard