Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ccomley
Topic Author

SB-Rad dies

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:09 am

My SBR has been sitting here in France, we use it pretty much non-stop during the day when we're here, then turn it off for months whislt we're not.

WHen in use its eitehr playing Internet Radio or talking to the Firefly on my laptop.

Just now, in the middle of teh re-run of Rick Wakeman's saturday show, it said" klunk" and went off. A few moments later it started a normal power-up boot sequence, then klunked again.

I pulled the power. Felt around the unit. DIsplay area a bit warm, nothing else worthy of note, no naighty "escaping magic smoke" smells. Plug back in - works for about three mins then klunk. Next boot I switch to MP3 playback and... same.

It's off (plugged in) at the moment. I shall try other tests.

Though I admit to not having searched out EVERY thread on the subject, this doesn't immediatly sound like the "classic" SBR psu problem. Or does it?

I hope this can be resolved - like many others who have posted before, we really like this piece of kit and would not like to lose thse use thereof...

Cheers....

jjaf

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi ccomley

If it's plugged in and there is no display, then you most likely have a failed PSU. Fortunately in can be repaired, send a PM to Pete (member name g0pkh, http://forums.rokulabs.com/profile.php? ... ile&u=5008) who offers this service, he is in England.

He repaired my dead R1000 a couple of weeks ago.

Glad to hear you are a fellow Planet Rock listener.

ccomley
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:18 pm

There *is* display.

It died as if the pwoer had been cut - had the lights not stayed on I'd have gone to check the circuit breaker.

Then it reboots - quite normal display, splash, then seeks WiFi, then says its looking for the radio channel,. etc...

until it dies again...

I'll ask the nice man to have a look at the PSU or guide me in how to test it.

I wonder if the situation is this dire if there isn't a market for someone to make an after-market replacement PSU - even if it has to be an external box.

g0pkh

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:33 pm

Hello CComley

It does sound like the PSU is faulty. The common fault is that the voltage output drops to a level which cannot sustain the main unit. Normally this would result in just a dead display, but your sounds as though it is just at the threshold.

I can repair your unit for you. I will send you details via PM .

Thanks for the recommendation JJAF :)

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

ausseemaid

SBR radio dies again

Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:54 am

I play my radio (s , I have three) fairly constantly. I have had two simply die. Both have been replaced. Yesterday, one of these replacements died. I will be sending it back. It is a shame that such a great product lasts barely a year. I am wondering how frequently this occurs.
I woud also like to thank the volunteers for a ll the work they do. It is much appresciated.

jjaf

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:04 pm

ausseemaid:

Why bother getting a replacement which will also fail? Roku have not changed the design. Break the cycle and get it repaired; you get a better quality radio and, as an added bonus, Roku get to save some money. Maybe they will spend some of that on the product.

ccomley
Topic Author

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:32 am

Yay

I have just returned from our regular summer visit to our house in France and we had UK radio play every day thanks to the Roku Radio and the new PSU fitted to it by g0pkh of this forum.

What's more, it now picks up BBC stations and it didn't before!

So I'm well chuffed and much as I think Roku should own the problem and fix the PSU design, until they do, there's g0pkh, and his most excellent service.

Anyone with a snaggy SBR, before you bin it or, worse, spend money and time having ROKU replace the PSU with another dodgy one, check here...

jjaf

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:28 pm

I'm glad it's working for you again.

What's more, it now picks up BBC stations and it didn't before!

Not some magic performed by Pete, just the BBC no longer geolocking Radios 1-4. Enjoy.
R1000, M400, M1001

g0pkh

Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:20 am

CComley.

Very many thanks for the recommendations.
I am glad you are enjoying your SBR again. :)

Even better now that BBC stations are available outside the UK.

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

vnzjunk

2 Roku 1001's and no PS problem yet knock on wood

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:59 am

I have 2 of the units and both are working fine knock on wood. That said, I noticed that the case around both units felt very warm to the touch. I decided that the display was the source of this apparent overheating. Therefore I try to run the units or standby the units with no display. This is of course less than the functionality that is promised by the units but the upside is that I have had no heat/ps related problems. I may have been just lucky or I may have hit upon an alternative (maybe not the most pleasing) solution to the problem. Time will tell.

Good luck to all with their units.

MWM

alanmc

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:31 am

vnzjunk wrote:
I have 2 of the units and both are working fine knock on wood. That said, I noticed that the case around both units felt very warm to the touch. I decided that the display was the source of this apparent overheating

Permit me to point out to you that your views on your M1001s have been inappropriately posted in a Forum and thread that refers to the R1000 radio, where it is a known fact that the PSU problems are not related to display-brightness.
Roku state that the purpose of this SoundBridge Radio General Discussion Forum is to "Discuss SoundBridge Radio-specific issues here. For generic SoundBridge discussion, please use the SoundBridge General Discussion forum".

As regards the OEM wall-warts for the M1001s, these run at ridiculously hot temperatures (even when the M1001's display is in low-brightness or standby mode). You can read informed comment on these OEM wall-warts by use of the Search button.