Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ccomley
Topic Author

Pure Evoke Flow

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:17 am

If my SBRadio *is* dead (see other thread) and Roku/Pinnacle won't help out, then I'm buggered if they get any more of my cash.

My *home* radio is DAB, not Internet (er - well, I have a M1000 in the lounge, but a DAB portable) and it's a Pure Evoke 3 which is a *very* good piece of kit.

My only peeve about it is, the week after I bought it they launched the Evoke Flow. The Flow does FM/DAB/WiFi/InternetRadio. i.e. is what the SBR is but made by a company who know how to build PSUs

Has anyone with an SBR tried an Evoke Flow, would you care to post a potted comparative review?

dupondt

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:46 am

Hi ccomley,

you will probably get valuable information about the Evoke Flow and the quality of Pure's radio station database by visiting the user forum: http://flowusers.com/discussions/

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

ccomley
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks - checked it out.

Had not previosuly seen the "tabletop" avanti version.

Having browsed both flow fora, I'm disappointed that it looks lke Pure have missed a few tricks with the Avanit- it would be poised to take the SBR market but reports suggest it's needing a few bints upwards in quality.

Reviews andcomments on the "Evoke" Flow, however, look more promising. And it's a third of the price of an SBR.

alanmc

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 pm

To add to what my good friend dupondt has stated -
I have regularly monitored the 'Pure Forums' since last Christmas and there appears to be ongoing complaints re firmware updates, and the fact that their "Lounge" portal does not process the Meta data that the majority of internet stations send - There is no doubt about the fact that the Avanti Flow is a very fine sounding unit, but at that price it bloody well should be !!!
However, the 'Lounge' portal is far too clunky for my taste . . . . but perhaps I'm biased -

The Squeezebox Boom is also a great Internet Radio, and when coupled with a Yamaha 'Sub' IMHO it sounds far superior to the Avanti Flow -

Your other option would of course be the high-quality Reciva based Roberts WM-201 (if you can find one), but regrettably it does not have the sound output of the above mentioned units.

Read a few more of the many adverse comments in the Pure forums about the "Evoke" Flow before parting with your cash - :wink: