Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

AnotherBrokenRoku
Topic Author

another broken roku story

Sun May 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi,

seems we are experiencing the familiar "Broken Roku" story:
After 1 year and 7 months the R1000-CB-U Roku radio went dead - no response whatsoever ... looks like the faulty power supply issue so many have been experiecning.
We immediately contacted customer service (CASE ID #89660) and they emailed us back with a generic suggestion of rebooting it and testing the ethernet connection. - Completely pointless since the unit won't turn on.
We emailed them twice since (it's been over two weeks now) but no response - not even to let us know how much they would charge for an out of warranty repair.
I can't believe that they're getting away with this strategy of selling a clearly faulty product. I hope that customers who are thinking about buying other products from this company will read these posts, learn about this kind of business practice and buy something else.
Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit, please count us in.

Another Sad Former Roku User

alanmc

Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 am

Sorry to hear about your broken R1000 radio, is it still under warranty?
I think it epitomizes just how ignorant those in the customer service dept are in that they've asked you to test the ethernet connection on your radio :wink:

Re your statement "Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit, please count us in", you might also care to read this thread: http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=21099

May I suggest two actions you might care to take:
1. Update your profile to show where you reside so the relevant users in that country can advise you where to get the radio repaired if its out of warranty.
2. From the many similar postings within these forums, regrettably you are far from being alone in having this problem with Roku's support team. Try emailing RokuLyndon > lallydice@rokulabs.com

desean

Roku R1000... R.I.P.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:19 am

Add mine to the growing R1000 graveyard. It just died last night and, based on the many forum reports, it seems like a PSU issue. Though out-of-warranty (purchased and registered 2008.09), I have emailed support and not expecting much.

My R1000 power cord plugs in the back and says:

Model #: R100
Input: 100--240V - 50/60Hz 1.5A
"Caution Risk of Electric Shock Do Not Open"

I'm seriously considering a Squeezebox...
--------
Dennis
Vancouver, Canada

alanmc

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:25 pm

@ desean, welcome to the forums -

Whilst I'm sorry to hear that your R1000, like so very many others, has suffered a PSU failure due to the poor design and use of cheap inferior components, may I suggest that you PM or email my good friend "Burkhardi" -

Matt Burkhard is an electronics tech by trade, and can be contacted >
http://forums.rokulabs.com/profile.php? ... ile&u=2460
or burkhardi@hotmail.com

Even if you do decide to "scrap" your faulty R1000 and purchase a Logitech (Squeezebox) Boom radio, "Burkhardi" would welcome your broken R1000 to recover the speakers as these cannot be sourced as a replacement component.

Cheers, Alan

RokuLyndon

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Dennis,

You can also send me at email at lallydice@roku.com. For power related issues, your R1000 will be covered under a 2 year warranty.

alanmc

Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:50 pm

RokuLyndon wrote:
You can also send me at email at lallydice@roku.com. For power related issues, your R1000 will be covered under a 2 year warranty.

Wel, well, well . . . . why hasn't such a "public statement" been formally published by Roku in the past?
Given that the problem is a design & manufacturing issue, does your statement cover ALL power supply failures of the SoundBridge R1000s that have been sold worldwide, branded either Roku or Pinnacle?

bennytoot

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:47 am

RokuLyndon wrote:
Dennis,

Does this 2 year warranty apply to all R1000 models purchased from Roku? Mine just died, and I purchased it in late August 2007. Looks like it may have died just in time to still be covered (I hope). I sent an email to that address you list on Saturday. Thanks.

Jim

RokuLyndon

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:43 am

The two year warranty for power-supply-related issues is available for all customers who purchased and R1000 from Roku or Pinnacle or a dealer. We recently extended the R1000 warranty longer than our normal Roku 1 year due to a failure rate that is higher than is normal for Roku on this product with the power supply. If you paid for a repair in the past on this model, and would not have done so with a two year warranty, please contact me for a refund.

AmazinglySmooth

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Good job, Roku!!! Now, please add Slacker support like the Squeezebox.

Burkhardi

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Yes, kudos Roku!

(put me down for Pandora support...)
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

E. buzz

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Although I personally am pleased to see the announcement of the two year warranty regarding PSU issues, aren't the words meaningless without actions? I originally emailed in mid May and received a response in June asking for proof of purchase. I emailed that info 1st of July and I've heard nothing. I emailed Matt Burkhard as he is well recommended and he quoted me a fair price and turn around time and responded within an hour. I've put Matt on hold waiting for Roku to do the right thing. Come on Roku, I know this hasn't made you the profit you had hoped, but this is about keeping your word and doing business the right way.

Bryan

gcd0865

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Lyndon:

When did the extended 2-year warranty program start? This is the first I've heard of this. Does the warranty provide refunds for those of us who, not knowing about this extension, recently paid for third-party repairs on our radios?

bennytoot

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:16 am

gcd0865 wrote:
Lyndon:

When did the extended 2-year warranty program start? This is the first I've heard of this. Does the warranty provide refunds for those of us who, not knowing about this extension, recently paid for third-party repairs on our radios?

RokuLyndon wrote:
If you paid for a repair in the past on this model, and would not have done so with a two year warranty, please contact me for a refund.

RokuLyndon

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am

Byran,

I just sent you an email. Please reply.

desean

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:42 pm

RokuLyndon wrote:
Dennis,

Thanks Lyndon.

I noticed you had sent me a private email which I received today since I had also emailed you privately at the same time I had posted in this forum.

Thanks to ROKU for extending the PSU failure to 2 years. I have just replied to privately with the details you requested.

Thanks again!
--------

Dennis

Vancouver, Canada