Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cemsaral57
Topic Author

Soundbridge Radio - Buffer Problem - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:42 pm

HI;

I have been a loyal user of Roku for 4 years now and recently bought a Soundbridge Radio in addition to Soundbridge I have been using all the time.

I have put them side by side, both connecting to the music server via wireless router and while the old soundbridge was working just fine Soundbridge Radio continiously keep buffering and re-buffering... it is the same for Internet Radio or my computer's music library. signal quality is 92, signal -49DB and very similar to what I have with the existing soundbridge. Router and the units are a mere 5meters apart with no physical obstruction between. I am using Vista Home Premium, router is Buffalo WHR-HP-G54..

can somebody help me is there a solution to this problem, any setup changes or anything... THis is really very frustrating...

Thanks for your help

Cem

jjaf

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:40 am

Hi Cem

Congratulations on the new Soundbridge Radio, I hope you have many months of use from it :wink:

Reboot your router, this tends to solve many rebuffering issues.
Also I recommend to set static IP addresses on all your Soundbridges.
Switch off your other Soundbridge at the wall to see if that improves things, this may indicate some bandwidth contention on the router.
R1000, M400, M1001

cemsaral57
Topic Author

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Thank you for your reply. Honestly I have tried anything I could think of including assigning static MAC addresses to switching on/off the other soundbridge unit, changing the location of the Soundbridge radio. I have also tried assigning a wireless bridge to boost the signal but to my understanding the problem is not the signal strength which I get anywhere from 75 to 93. I had a buffering problem with my previous soundbridge and it was resolved by placing the unit closer to the wireless router and that one was the signal strength issue. This one seems to be with the unit (or I think it is) either its wireless receiver quality or the software/setup that is failing to work without re-buffering for a seamless playback. I have checked the forum before releasing my topic and it seems there are many other users suffering from the safe problem... Have you or anyone reading this seen a software update or anything related to the issue that can resolve the problem?

I really like Roku products and before buying this item I have read all the issues on the Soundbridge products, probably they may even be discontinued and despite all that I have chosen to buy this unit where I was reading fantastic reviews on Logitech series just to show my support to the folks at the ROKU.

It would make me sad to return this product so if anyone reading (especially the TechSupport) with a hint of a solution, please either provide us with an answer or openly tell us there is a common problem with the unit and there does not seem to be anything handy to take care of it.

thanks, regards
Cem

jjaf

Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:52 am

Your faith in the Soundbridge products at this stage in their lifecycle is admirable, however don't expect Roku techsupport to respond to your problem on this forum. The possibility of a fault with your new Soundbridge cannot be ruled out but lets stick with other possibilties for a while longer.

A couple of other suggestions:
- Install the beta firmware, V3.0.52. Although there is nothing I am aware of in this version fixes wifi specific problems, a firmware refresh may help to clear out some internal settings. http://soundbridge.roku.com/software/beta/
- Try alternative channels on your router. Some channels are more prone to interference from other nearby devices. There is a rather good article on the Netflix topic explaining this, http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 59&start=0
R1000, M400, M1001

cemsaral57
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:46 am

Appreciate the feedback. I have tried about 10times and the beta software failed to download and update. I believe this unit is faulty. So all I have to do now is send it back to US all the way from Singapore nd pay another 50 bucks for the mail... Way to go Roku!!!

thanks all your assistance.

Cem

jjaf

Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:35 am

Have you tried "safe mode" to reset?
Hold down any key on the remote (pointing it at the radio) at the same time as switching on power.
R1000, M400, M1001

marciam

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Did you ever solve your problem? I've been happily using my Soundbridge M1000 for a couple of years, but I just received a Soundbridge Radio R1000 in the mail today, and I seem to be having the same constant re-buffering problems as you, even when I un-plug the M1000, re-boot the router, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Marcia

ccomley

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:28 am

cemsaral57 wrote:
Appreciate the feedback. I have tried about 10times and the beta software failed to download and update. I believe this unit is faulty. So all I have to do now is send it back to US all the way from Singapore nd pay another 50 bucks for the mail... Way to go Roku!!!

Cem

Was this a NEW radio or second hand? A new one, you should just return it to the vendor as broken for a full and immediate refund.

marciam

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:01 am

The R1000 I received today was new from Roku, so I'm taking steps to send it back and get a replacement (which will hopefully work well?).

(I'ved looked into a Logitech Boom, but its Slimserver media server won't run on the MyBook World the way little Firefly does.)

Thanks!
-Marcia

masonwm

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:16 pm

This is possibly for cemsaral57:

I have two Soundbridges--one in my study and one in the kitchen. I use them for streaming radio. Until recently they worked perfectly--one at a time as well as both on. I went away for three days. Upon return, I encountered the constant rebuffering problem you describe with your deviceS (plural is important here). Unplugging and replugging the power supplies did not solve the problem. Individually, the configurations looked fine. I checked the devices in my browser but could see only one, and I could find only one when checking network devices on one of my computers. Furthermore, the identity was unstable when I looked at the device's properties. First it was the kitchen Soundbridge and then it was the Study Soundbridge. Eventually it dawned on me that both devices had the same dynamically assigned IP address. I unplugged the cable modem, router, and main switch for my home network. After replugging, I brought the devices up one at a time, checked that the dynamically assigned IP addresses were distinct, and noted that the rebuffering problem had disappeared.

I realize there are many, many possible sources of problems, but I hope this tale is helpful to at least some readers.
Max