Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

WayneS
Topic Author

Are their other other alternatives to Roku products?

Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:50 pm

I am on my second R1000 Sound Bridge radio which has stopped working. Are there other equivalent internet radios that are available?

Wayne

S80_UK

Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Yes.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

andyg

Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:18 pm

well now, back in the old days, that's a question you could ask, but any discussion other than that relating to Roku products would bring down the wrath of Roku engineers. :lol:

Given that the Roku staff no longer give one iota towards their (now) legacy products, I'd have no hesitation in suggesting you take a closer look at the Logitech Squeezebox Radio. I don't as yet have direct experience - I'm hoping to soon - but this looks like a really good bet. Good looking (unlike the minging R1000), unlikely to have the shoddy design build of the R1000 (psu yawn...etc, etc) and imbued with top notch R&D. It does all that the R1000 does (when it can be bothered to work) and natively supports subscription services where geographically available which the R1000 can't. It's not yet available judging by the website but I'd eat my hat if this isn't a far superior product to the car crash that is the R1000.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/5847&cl=gb,en
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

S80_UK

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:47 pm

andyg wrote:
well now, back in the old days, that's a question you could ask, but any discussion other than that relating to Roku products would bring down the wrath of Roku engineers. :lol:

Heh, heh... Not trying to avoid wrath, etc. Just that there are so many out there (and many new ones about to be released as we approach Christmas) that it's easy to say Yes, but hard to give recommendations without knowing the criteria that may influence a choice, such as codec support, number of alarms, support for terrestrial radio, size, etc.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

grahalex

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi Wayne, look here for new product coming from Pure.

http://stuff.tv/blogs/live/archive/2009 ... radio.aspx

alanmc

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:58 pm

According to the size of your wallet, and just as importantly in which country you actually reside, let me offer some superior Internet Radio models:
1. The Logitech Boom - http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speak ... 7&cl=US,EN this unit is a stereo radio
2. The Revo IKON - http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/revo-ikon.php
3. If you live in the US, check-out the new range from Grace Digital.
4. If you want a high-quality replacement for a M1001, then the new very fine Logitech Squeezebox "Touch" must fit the bill.

But remember, one very important factor you MUST ALWAYS consider when buying an Internet Radio is the 'Portal' which drives the device. For that very reason I would never consider anything from Pure as their own portal 'The Lounge' is utter crap !!!

AmazinglySmooth

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:52 pm

I would find something that plays Slacker or Pandora (in the USA).

alanmc

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:16 am

@ AmazinglySmooth

The NEW Logitech "baby" Squeezebox Radio, along with their earlier fantastic "Boom" radio (and all current Squeezebox models), can stream your music collection plus thousands of internet radio stations and music services like Rhapsody, Napster, Pandora, Sirius, and Last.fm.

AmazinglySmooth

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:36 am

I was considering the Squeezebox Duet, but I couldn't find any information on what is displayed on the "remote" when listening to Slacker.

alanmc

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:26 am

AmazinglySmooth wrote:
I was considering the Squeezebox Duet, but I couldn't find any information on what is displayed on the "remote" when listening to Slacker.

Then why not post your question in their forum dedicated to the "Duet" :wink:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26 you'll find it a nice change to read responses from Logitech company employees and engineers, as in the SB era of Mike Kobb . . . . something sadly missing here in these SoundBridge forums since he resigned 2 years ago.

dlcrouch

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 pm

A bit out of left field, but how about a IPhone or IPOD touch - lot's of streaming apps and sources out there and it's portable.
Right now i have
Sirius / XM
Pandora
Rhapsody
Wolfgang's Vault
Slacker
Flycast
and a lots of IPOD content.

AmazinglySmooth

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 pm

dlcrouch wrote:
A bit out of left field, but how about a IPhone or IPOD touch - lot's of streaming apps and sources out there and it's portable.
Right now i have
Sirius / XM
Pandora
Rhapsody
Wolfgang's Vault
Slacker
Flycast
and a lots of IPOD content.

Maybe there is an opportunity there. Can you make a server on the iPod Touch that could stream to a small slave audio box connected to a stereo? The Duet acts like this, but it is very expensive.

mlandis@teknidata.com

Check out the Aluratek Internet Radio

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:48 pm

I recently discovered the Aluratek Internet Radio (http://aluratek.com/) and have purchased 3 of them. They are a WiFi internet radio combined with an FM radio alarm clock, MP3 and stream player. I've been using them for 2-3 months and am happy with their performance. The price is ~$100 on the net or the same at Fry's when on sale.

Check it out!

shinyandy

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:13 am

alanmc wrote:
1. The Logitech Boom - http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speak ... 7&cl=US,EN this unit is a stereo radio
2. The Revo IKON - http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/revo-ikon.php
3. If you live in the US, check-out the new range from Grace Digital.
4. If you want a high-quality replacement for a M1001, then the new very fine Logitech Squeezebox "Touch" must fit the bill.

Mine has finally died so I'm looking at replacements until I get a reply from Pete about a repair.

Re the Boom, it looks like you need to be running their server software to even stream radio stations? Other than their Radio (same price as a Boom now it seems) what other options have been explored. My head is fried from reading 100s of reviews on Amazon with people that generally don't have a clue so would appreciate some real advice on what people have moved to from the Soundbridge - most important for me is that its primary function is that of a internet clock radio

dupondt

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:42 am

shinyandy,

its primary function is that of a internet clock radio

in this case a Reciva based radio might be a good solution. You will find a comprehensive list here.

But beware: not all models will correctly deal with a power outage. Some (if not most) of the Reciva based models in such a case do not automatically reconnect to your network and thus will not adjust the time and therefore fail to wake you up on time.

At least the Logitech Squeezebox Radio will play internet radio without any server software running and I'm quite sure this also applies to the Squeezebox Boom.

It might be worth the effort to have a look at Freecom's MusicPal or Terratec's Noxon devices.

However, don't expect any of the alternatives to work as smoothly as your SoundBridge Radio. Roku's products, although quite old and now EOL are still very much state-of-the-art.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot