Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

shinyandy

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:55 am

dupondt wrote:
At least the Logitech Squeezebox Radio will play internet radio without any server software running and I'm quite sure this also applies to the Squeezebox Boom.

Everything I've read so far seemed to suggest that the Boom requires slimserver running but I'll do some more digging. The Boom appeals more especially with its new low price, but not if it a) requires one of my pcs running 24/7 and b) if it doesn't display a clock on standby

I agree about the SBRadio being good, such a shame the componentry isn't up to the design. Hopefully the SB will be repaired, having two radios isn't a problem.

dupondt

Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:57 am

shinyandy wrote:
Everything I've read so far seemed to suggest that the Boom requires slimserver running but I'll do some more digging.

On page 11 of the Boom's user guide Logitech state:

"SqueezeNetwork is a free, Internet-based service provided by Logitech. It allows you to connect to a wide variety of services, including Internet radio guides and online music services, like Rhapsody®, Sirius Internet Radio, and Pandora® Radio. You can even store your own music collection in an online MP3tunes music locker so you can listen to your music when your computer is turned off."

If you have a look at page 15 of the manual you'll find that using Squeezecenter (the former Slimserver) is optional.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

shinyandy

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:03 am

Perfect, a Boom it is then :D

mdspencer_uk

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:21 am

I think one of my issues with the Logitech products, as has been said before, is that they do not stream from DLNA/UPnP servers. All of my home streaming is done using Twonky and my understanding is that the Boom etc will not operate happily with it. The Roku radio, power supply depending, just works, sounds good and has most of what a good internet radio needs. All of the BBC radio stations work flawlessly, which is just what I want.

Still does not stop me feeling really angry that three of my four radios have died. IMHO, penny pinching on the design really neutered these devices. Roku could have had so much more success had different decisions been taken, I think.

shinyandy

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:26 am

I'm just looking at a guide to installing slimserver on my Terastation NAS now, had Twonky running on it in the past but never very well

mdspencer_uk

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:15 am

I have heard that the slimserver requires quite some processing power. Twonky on my Terastation works really well and can stream media to two TVs (via PS3s) simultaneously and a radio without any issue. I am not certain that slimserver will stream to my PS3s so would end up having to try and run both servers, which would probably cause no end of troubles.

Please do post how you get along though, or PM me. I would be most interested to hear how it goes.

shinyandy

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:53 am

Streaming to the TV is via a modded Xbox running XBMC but just about to be replaced by an ASrock ION330 (also running XBMC) which only needs an SMB share from the Terastation so not really worried about that. To be honest I really only used the SBRadio as a clock radio, never bothered streaming my music collection to it as Twonky never worked well enough and I gave up with their useless support

alanmc

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:35 am

@ shinyandy AND mdspencer_uk,

from my own past experiences, I would never rely on an 'Alarm' on an internet radio :wink:

shinyandy - get yourself a "Radio Controlled" alarm clock from Germany that will receive the time-adjustment signal from transmitter DCF77 on 77.5 kHz from Mainllinger near Frankfurt, Germany. These keep perfect time, so no excuse to be late for work :wink:

mdspencer_uk - get yourself a "Radio Controlled" alarm clock from the UK that will receive the time-adjustment signal from a transmitter in Cumbria (MSF 60kHz). This carries both time and date codes.

Mains-powered Wi-fi alarm clocks are just too unreliable!
Last edited by alanmc on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

shinyandy

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:38 am

Thanks Alan but in the 2 years or so I've used the SBRadio as a clock radio it's never let me down once, aside from the current PSU failure. If it can't connect to the internet then it sounds the buzzer and if the mains fails it's connected to a UPS which will start beeping and wake me up anyway (plus to be fair must mains powered alarm clocks would suffer the same issue)

I also "work" from home so can't be late ;) and if you heard Spanish radio you too would want an internet radio feed!

rootsmusic

Re: Are their other other alternatives to Roku products?

Tue May 17, 2016 6:15 pm

What are the latest recommendations of internet radio devices with easy controls? Other features are unimportant. I'm in the U.S. Thanks.