Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jmoynan
Topic Author

CBC Radio One change of format

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:31 pm

CBC Radio has changed its streaming format to MP3 (pls). There are 62 CBC Radio One stations listed in the ROKU directory, all but one in the old WMA format. (Perhaps as a result of a previous post, CBC Radio One Toronto has been set up.) On the week-end I submited a request for CBC Radio One Victoria to be set up. So far, nothing has appeared. How does one initiate some action to get the situation corrected?

Then there is CBC Radio Two and CBC Radio 3.

jdc1947

Re: CBC Radio One change of format

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:48 am

jmoynan wrote:
CBC Radio has changed its streaming format. There are 62 CBC Radio One stations listed in the ROKU directory. How does one initiate some action to get the situation corrected? Then there is CBC Radio Two and CBC Radio 3.

You START by reading this: http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=16084 paying particular attention to ensure that all your new stream-URLs will actually play on the SB before submitting them :wink:

I note that the Moderator has already Approved your new stream for CBC Radio One Toronto, thank-you :D

FrankB

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:09 pm

All 82 streams have been updated.

Frank

oompa_l

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:23 am

cbc radio one had always worked for us until recently and I presume this has something to do with what you're talking about. I have tried other radio one channels but nothing seems to be working. we need out fix - help?

dupondt

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:24 pm

CBC recently changed nearly all of their stream URLs again, so most of the entries in Radio Roku are now once more outdated.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

FrankB

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:33 pm

CBC is not on my good side.

It's on my list to update... again. Let's hope next month is better.

Frank

pdeman

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:12 am

I updated CBC Radio 2 Vancouver (128) yesterday.

Sorry, moderators, I didn't read "How To Submit Updates For Existing Station" http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=16084&start=0&sid=e92228c1f0bc7aa3d45b614f998a601a first and one of the submitted URL's is non-functioning.

I think most of the other 43 cbc streams need to be updated as well. You can get the correct streams at http://www.cbc.ca/listen/includes/directr2.html . Replace the 2 with 1 or 3 for cbc radio one and cbc radio 3.

I'll update more as I listen to them. The rest of you, don't let FrankB and dupondt do all the work. follow the instructions in How To Submit Updates For Existing Station. Also, email the CBC at listenlivebeta@cbc.ca asking them to avoid changing the URL's in the future.

dupondt

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 am

Hi pdeman,

welcome to the forums.

don't let FrankB and dupondt do all the work.

Just for the record: Frank is the only remaining moderator for Radio Roku. I haven't been doing any noteworthy work on the database for nearly a year now (please read this thread to learn why).

Greetings
dupondt

pdeman

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks, Frank for updating the links. And thanks, dupondt, for your contributions and comments The quick response makes me think that you are still very dedicated to RadioRoku, or perhaps you just have an unhealthy obsession :wink:.

The soundbridge with radioroku is something worth preserving, however its future doesn't look bright.

The support of Roku Labs for the soundbridge has been well documented, and all I'll say about that is that I'm grateful that Roku is continuing to maintain their server, given that it is no longer an active product. What worries me is that when Roku finally pulls the plug on Radio Roku, there isn't something to take over. I hope that at that time Roku will keep the forums running, and will supply the Radio Roku software and database to the community. Or we can hope that as servers, administration and bandwidth become cheaper, Radio Roku will be a small enough expense that its not worth stopping. Or both.

I believe that another problem is that the users of Soundbridge are less likely to contribute to Radio Roku. I would be able to take an old laptop, configure it and throw it behind or on top of my sound system and achieve all of the things that I find useful in the Soundbridge. I don't do that because its so much less work to hook up the Soundbridge (and it looks cool too). This also explains why three years after buying my Soundbridges, this is my first post on the forums (although I've been lurking). What I'm saying is that the type of person that contributes time and effort to project like this (Frank and dupondt are good examples), is less likely to have bought the soundbridge in the first place. On, the other hand, Soundbrige owners are likely to be somewhat technical and analytical, because with the lack of good marketing for the product, those are the people that are likely to have realized what a cool idea and product it is. That's my 2 cents worth of opinion.

The posts about the CBC issue seam to be heavily tilted towards asking for a fix or offering work-arounds, rather than solutions. (I waited about 3 weeks for someone to fix the URL's before I gave up and figured out how to do it.) This made me realize that more support is needed from the community, or this worthy piece of technology will go from being sick to dead. I'll try to stop being lazy and provide a little of that support. ...Paul
Last edited by pdeman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

S80_UK

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:08 am

pdeman wrote:
Thanks, Frank for updating the links. And thanks, dupondt, for your contributions and comments The quick response makes me think that you are still very dedicated to RadioRoku, or perhaps you just have an unhealthy obsession :wink:.

Paul,

Thanks for your comments. Maybe several of us have an unhealthy obsession with the SoundBridge - but you are right that it is still a very cool product (I just sold a spare to my next-door neighbour who loves it). The upkeep of the radio stations database is a huge problem, made worse by the fact that the broadcasters around the world consider themselves to be operating in a world which does not require the support of manufacturers such as Roku. They only consider Internet Radio as being accessed via PCs. I know from my own experiences here in the UK that this is a problem that is not yet resolved, and although several parties are working on solutions, they will be a long time coming. Given that Roku is no longer active in the Internet Radio arena, the support of their database will always be dependent on help from the community. At least the SoundBridge allows access to its radio station presets from a PC via the local network connection (many internet radios do not), and that is one way that it is at least partly protected from the effects of changes which may not be reflected in the radio stations database.

Cheers,

Les.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

dupondt

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:29 am

pdeman wrote:
The quick response makes me think that you are still very dedicated to RadioRoku, or perhaps you just have an unhealthy obsession :wink:.

As you probably will have noticed by reading the thread I pointed you to in my first post, I have overcome the unhealthy obsession nearly a year ago. I'm by no means dedicated to Radio Roku, let alone Roku as a company, as their management including the CEO treated me (and other hard-working volunteers like my very good friend alanmc) in the most disgraceful manner I can think of.

With my occasional posts in the forums I'm only trying to help SoundBridge users, as I know for sure that they will not get any support whatsoever from Roku.

Frank's doing a great job for Radio Roku, but even an army of volunteers would not be capable to sort out the mess of outdated entries that populate the database, let alone all the "zombie" stations, empty favourites and duplicates.

Greetings
dupondt

oompa_l

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 am

thanks for the info pdeman. we dont know what we would have done if we had gone without cbc1 much longer!!

tstroll

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:58 pm

The CBC website recently posted updated links to a long list of Radio One (news radio) stations. These links, when plugged into your Roku Soundbridge via the Roku Radio Snooper program, will run CBC Radio One following its conversion from WMA to MP3 format.

Here's the CBC link: http://www.cbc.ca/listen/. When you go there, click on "Direct URLs for Radio One" immediately below the Radio One logo, i.e., above the word "Provinces." Find the city you want, right-click the link, copy it to your clipboard, go into your Roku Radio Snooper program, click to view presets, and add the URL to a preset.

Again, the link: http://www.cbc.ca/listen/

If you don't have the Snooper program, which came with your Soundbridge on a CD, I imagine the Roku website has it available for download.

I suppose you can also avoid using the Snooper and instead laboriously copy the link character by character directly into your Roku Soundbridge. Don't ask me how to do that!

Harson

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:38 am

The changes also mean that Radio One listeners can expect to hear more talk and drama and less music.
Last edited by Harson on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

billd

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:23 pm

The latest list of radio one URLs is here: http://www.cbc.ca/listen/includes/directr1.html