Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dkomeshak
Topic Author

KFI ... again .. may have answer!

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Is anyone able to get KFI any longer?

I've tried every link that I've found with no luck.

UPDATE Jan 30, 2009.

I am currently listening to KFI on my Soundbridge Radio. This was a total accident but here's how it's working for me.

When my Soundbridge died, I bought a Logitech Squeezebox Radio, not knowing if the Soundbridge could be repaired, etc.

I setup Squeezebox server on my Windows Home Server for the Squeezebox radio.

When I got the Soundbridge back from Matt (thanks again, Matt) and set it up, it found a SlimServer. I played around with it and it was the Squeezebox server. I can listen to any of the radio stations I have stored from setting up the Squeezebox radio.

It's not perfect and will occasionally pause like it's buffer ran empty then resumes but I'm listening to it right now.

I don't think you need a Squeezebox radio to download the server software.

Maybe this will work for someone else.

Thanks,

Dennis
Last edited by dkomeshak on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gcd0865

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Doesn't look likely, Dennis. KFI and many other stations owned by Clear Channel corporation changed the format of their online audio streams to a new proprietary format that is not decodable by our Roku radios. The only ways for us to receive them would be: (1) if Clear Channel decided to provide compatible parallel streams for us; or (2) if Roku provided a firmware update for all of our radios that could decode the Clear Channel audio streams. Unfortunately, neither is likely to happen. I like KFI too; I have to listen to it on my phone or laptop now...

crikerat

Re: KFI ... again .. may have answer!

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:54 am

I haven't tried it, but the Slimserver software does offer the ability to proxy the stream. So if your PC were able to decode the audio stream, it would be able to listen to it and then pass the decoded stream on to the SBR.

Just a theory as the OP said it worked.

RadioHasBadUserInterface

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:50 pm

http://www.applian.com/special/clearcha ... iam640.com after a short pause, will launch KFI on your Roku by getting it a session password for you to stream. The same link works for all of the Channel stations that I have tried by replacing "kfiam640.com" with the domain name of the clear channel station you wish to stream. Clear channel does not wish you to listen to their stations if you travel outside the country- they check your IP address and assign a unique URL for you to listen during that session only. I personally was glad to see them head to bankruptcy for the way they treated their listeners. I recommend listening to their competitors wherever possible until they adjust their attitude.

Pls do tell tell me about that proxy server. I am planning to buy a Squeezebox to replace my Roku, but would get more life out of it with the proxy working. Also, I believe VLC, an excellent open source player from www.videolan.org will work as a proxy and translate streams from one format to another. Anyone her tried configuring it to work with the Roku?

dupondt

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:02 am

RadioHasBadUserInterface,

I don't think it's a good idea to post the Applian URL here.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

FrankB

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:52 am

That approach might be OK for talk radio, but I pity you if you try to listen to music. The stream is WMA at 32kbps with a 22kHz sample rate (at least on a local channel I tried). ClearChannel isn't doing themselves any favors by making that available.

Frank