Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rdm431
Topic Author

Repairing PS on the R1000 Roku Radio's. UPDATE: I DID IT !!!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 am

Is there any posted info on a "do it yourself" repair guide for the PS on these R1000 radios.
That is... for those that know repair and know electronics?
I have a dead R1000. Where mine dies, is when I unplug it for a long time, like weeks, then try to use it again.
It will not power up. In the past, it suddenly powered up after a long disconnect from power, but this time I can not
get it to kick in.
I know I can repair this. I also believe it is a simple capacitor issue. One or more of the capacitors has a voltage issue
after power-off or more so disconnecting from the AC power. One or more of the PS capacitor(s) drain, and will not hold
or conduct a charge when power is reintroduced.

So I wanted to see if anyone is willing to post info as to opening the unit, accessing the PS.
(before I go at it myself, that is)

Im sure there is a very simple fix to these failing PS in the R1000's.
Last edited by rdm431 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

alanmc

Re: Repairing PS on the R1000 Roku Radio's

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:23 am

Within this “SoundBridge Radio General Discussion” forum there are MANY extended threads that fully explain what you are seeking.

Then of course there is also the “Search” function that you could have used !!!

SEEK, AND THOU SHALT FIND :roll:

S80_UK

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:07 pm

alanmc wrote:
SEEK, AND THOU SHALT FIND :roll:

Yes - but it's easier to type a long and complex question on a forum and have someone else answer than it is to type a few short well chosen words into (say) Google and then read the various answers provided... :D
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

DJans

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 pm

All info is here in the forum. Use the search function or read the big threads here to get detailed information.

rdm431
Topic Author

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:29 am

Just a FYI for folks with a dead R1000. I just fixed mine myself.
Yes... my roku R1000 is now working great and I only used items found around the home (most homes).

I used a few of the photos from this site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronferru ... 593223550/
to take apart the R1000 and to view the PS wiring.

** make sure the roku power cord is not plugged in **
** And also unplug the cord from the back of the roku unit **

Taking the back plate off the speaker unit was by far the hardest part.
You will also see two snap-in connectors running to the front part of the roku.
Un-snap them apart

Simply put... once you take out the power supply, and unwrap it from its housing, you will see 2 power wires running to the back AC power supply on the roku. And you will see a smaller white wire soldered to a long copper strip that was wrapped around
the PS unit. This smaller white wire is the antenna,

You will also notice a row or 4 wires on the other end of the roku power supply, that are soldered to the power supply board.
They are black, red, black, dark blue.
Black wires on the board are both ground.
The red wire hooks to the board labeled 9.5 volts.
The dark blue wire (almost looks black) hooks to the label 19 volts.
These 4 wires are in a row, so you can't miss them.

Now you too can fix your R1000 dead power supply. All you need to know is simple soldering.
And you also must have a spare or unused power adaptor around the house.
Like the wall chargers that most cell phones use to charge, or most electronic gadgets use to supply their power. Seems every gadget today comes with an external power adaptor.
Well the roku R1000 is about to join that crowd.

Now I doubt a cell phone wall charger adaptor has the voltage to power the R1000.
The DC voltage output is just too weak. Usually 6 volts or less.

What we are looking for is an adaptor with a DC output of at least 12 volts.

The one I had in my junk box was from an old broken ide hard drive external housing box. The kind used to convert a pc ide hard drive to a external usb drive.

Its power rating was 12 volts. 1.5 Amps and said 18 watts max.

So with the dead roku factory power supply, I cut the large two 110v AC power wires that come from back of the AC cord plug-in. I will not be using the original wall power cord any longer. Then from inside the back of the roku unit, I cut the 2 black & white 110v wires from the other side of that AC plug-in
I cut the wires right at the point where they attach to the 110v AC plug-in.
The other end of the 2 wires run to the roku 110v AC power supply board.

Then on my power adaptor, the 12 volt orphaned adaptor, I checked to too see which
of the two wire outputs was DC + and DC – . Then marked the DC + out adaptor wire with a dot of white-out, like that used to correct typing errors. I also cut off the end plug from the 12v adaptor, that had fit into the old ide usb box.

Then I drilled a small hole in the back of the R1000 right next to the no longer used AC power cord connector. A hole just big enough to push the 12 volt adaptor wire(s) thru.

I have removed the other 4 wires from the roku factory PS board, also.
So the factory PS board is totally lose and ready to toss into the trash. YEAH!

Now, solder the adaptor 12v DC + wire together to the (now lose) RED roku wire and
with the DARK BLUE roku wire. So you should now have three wires hooked together. Adaptor 12v DC + to the RED wire and to the DARK BLUE wire, all 3 wires then soldered together and wrapped in electrical tape.

Now hook the two lose BLACK ground wires, that were in that same wire row on the old roku power supply board, that we earlier unsoldered from the board.
Hook them to the 12v adaptors DC – (negative) wire. So that you have both black ground wires and the 12v adaptors DC – wire all together. Solder them and wrap in electrical tape.

Now, re-attach the 2 “snap” plugs connecting the roku’s back speaker unit to the roku front display unit.

Plug in your 12v adaptor into the wall outlet, and if you did everything correctly, your roku will power up and work great.

Note: As to the new power adaptor, you may have to experiment with different adaptors
to find one that has the power to run the roku. Like I said, mine was a 12v DC power adaptor. You might also find a universal adaptor at radio shack that has 12v output.
Or, just buy an ide hard drive enclosure that uses external power (not usb powered)..

For the price of going that route, at least you will be able to repair your $200 roku.
And the ide enclosure will cost what… maybe $20 ???

But as you test this, after your roku unit is disassembled and the wires from the old dead factory PS are all unsoldered from the board, try your replacement adaptor you plan to use, by hooking the wires together as above, to make sure the roku gets enough power to run it.

In using my 12v adaptor, I found this to work perfect.
I have been running my roku R1000 for 48 hours straight now, and all is well.
It works great !!!!

And as far as the voltage and combining the 9.5v RED wire with the 19v DARK BLUE wire, even though the 2 wires were labeled different voltage on that factory PS board, combining thee two together will work. And we are talking fairly low voltage here.
Your roku will survive.
Just make sure your replacement power adaptor is around the
same rating as the one I successfully used. 12 volts DC output @ 1.5 amps 18 watts max.

Remember… we are starting out with a “dead” useless $200 roku R1000 internet radio.
Most people probably will not send theirs in for repair, even if that were possible, and most people probably will or already have tossed their roku in the trash as their loss.

With my do-it-yourself repair, at least you have an excellent chance to once again enjoy your roku radio. You weigh the options… Attempting the repairing yourself, or sending it out for repair at a cost, or kicking your roku out the highest window in anger.
You have to decide.
As for me… this really was a simple repair, once I had a workable power adaptor.
Others can take issue with my repair procedure, but all I know is I am once again enjoying my once dead roku radio. That is the final word. And was my goal.

dupondt

Re: Repairing PS on the R1000 Roku Radio's. UPDATE: I DID IT !!!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:55 am

rdm431,

apart from the fact that such repairs have been discussed in detail in these forums it's not a good idea to do what you have done because

a) 1.5 amps is not enough for the R1000 so your wall wart will probably fail very soon,
b) soldering the wall wart's cables to the R1000's cables is bricolage, you should have used a DC socket,
c) removing the original PSU board will degrade the sound quality.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

DJans

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 pm

First: dupondt is right, 1,5A is (in my view, too) not really enought to power the amps at a higher volume level for a longer time. I would say use a 2,5A or better a 3A PSU.

Second: You should use a switching PSU that has a stabilized 12V output. If you use an older and easy transformator PSU the voltage is specified only for its specified load. If it is less, it can be higher. E.g. if you use an older unstabilized 12V/2A wallwart and your load is only 1A at a lower volume the voltage can be 18-20V. So a switching PSU is a must have in my view because of its stabilzed 12V output.

Third: Dupondt is correct concerning the connection of the PSU. You should not directly solder the cables to the radio. Use standard DC connectors for the external PSU. So it is in future fault case easy to replace the PSU. And I would add a fake original PSU or something of the same size into the housing that the calculated volume of the subwoofer housing is like original. Re-glue the enclosure and your new DC jack beacuse the housing of the sub must be air-proof for the best sound performance.

And fourth: I would add an additional fuse into the SB radio (e.g. 3A T) for an easy and cheap protection.

But nice to hear your radio is back to life. Follow the steps above to finalize your project. Or, gurus (Pete or Matt) do I have forgotten something?

rdm431
Topic Author

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Again, we have to remember, this option is for those that would have otherwise just trash their roku.
Mine has been on for almost 72 hours now. All is well. After actually seeing the factory PS unit and how shoddy is was designed, flawed manufacturing, I fear one of those catching fire. This had to have been designed by cutting as many corners as possible. What a joke. What a mess.
I was glad to remove it. I'll keep u all updated later. :D :D :D
I tossed together a little youtube showing the innards and repairs I had done and then the unit in operation after, but believe it or not, youtube marked the video copyright infringement just because I had the radio playing 10 seconds of that old song "bye bye love". :roll:

metaka0_0

Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi Guys

Ive had my dead R1000 sat in my dining room for 6 months now and had full knowledge of the complicated fixes id read about on these forums but 6 months on took another look and thought i would give something a go this time, after reading how simple the method rdm431 had used was I had the same thought of better to have something working than not at all!, within 30 mins and using my variable voltage external PSU set at 12v and hey presto all up and running again, so firstly to say thanks and also to just point out to the other guys that I also realise its not an anally perfect fix but its 90% better than the brick i had sat there before hand!?

The only thing i have noticed is a low toned buzz while its on, i havent really investigated why this is but wondered if you had the same thing? again this is actually not that bad and to be honest i could put up with it but if its sortably then i might as well :)

Also what did you do with the white wire that was attached to the copper ring around the orignal PSU, you didnt go into any detail on this and mine is just taped to the inside away from everything else, should it be wired to something?

thx again

Chage

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Highly likely that low toned buzz is electrical noise being fed over the wiring for power. Depending on your PSU, it may be very noticable or not noticable at all.

As a rule of thumb, switch mode PSUs are generally noisier than linear PSUs (transformer) due to the way they operate - usually Class D amplification. Typically more expensive power supplies will have additional filtering in them to help smooth out the output. The cheaper way is to ensure you buy a linear PSU in the first instance.

Downside of a linear supply is that they are going to be heavy when you start talking about anything more than an amp or so @12V. I have a "brick" under my bed - its about the same dimensions and weight as a brick capable of delivering 12V @ 3amps. As it lives under the bed, its out of the way.

Edited:
There are a lot of people who are using laptop PSUs (19.5V) to power their radios. This is because the Audio Amp section ideally requires 19V. While this means a lighter power supply (ohms law means more volts, less amps req), you're going to need a stepdown regulator inside the radio to provide a sensible voltage to the front display. Failure to do this will probably end up with a broken roku again.

alanmc

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Chage wrote:
You're going to need a stepdown regulator inside the radio to provide a sensible voltage to the front display. Failure to do this will probably end up with a broken roku again.

For those who bothered to 'read-up' on this issue and have also used the Search facility, they will have read about a suitable PSU “voltage dropper" – Courtesy forum member DJans (Germany), who stated:

"For all of you guys who intend to use a 19V Laptop PSU or something similar and want to create the stabilized 9V without converting the power to heat: Conrad electronics in Europe offers a 9V/1A step-down converter for 10,49 EUROs:
http://shop.conrad.at/ce/de/product/167 ... W78-9V09V/
This is a switching device as replacement for the 7809.
It needs no heatsink. The efficiency is 96%. Input Voltage 11 - 34V.

metaka0_0

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Ah ok, I understand the theory, but have 2 questions.

Where can i buy the same thing form a UK seller? and Which wires would need to go where on the regulator?

by the way i dont mean to be rude but all these people who keep commenting on "us idiots" who should be searching etc.. have you tried using it yourself? doenst work very well and if you dont know what you should be typing in the first place to get the best search result your going to be left sifting thru tonnes of crap with no relevance :(, to which i also just searched "voltage dropper" thinking that would help me find the above answer and only got this thread as a result :/

Cheers

Leon

S80_UK

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:24 pm

metaka0_0 wrote:
Where can i buy the same thing form a UK seller? and Which wires would need to go where on the regulator?

by the way i dont mean to be rude but all these people who keep commenting on "us idiots" who should be searching etc.. have you tried using it yourself?

Searching... Yes the forum search is limited (like many forum searches). Try Google instead. If you include the expression "site:forums.roku.com" in addition to what you are searching for it will generally work well and only return results on this forum. However, you were searching for a term like "voltage dropper" when the expression "voltage regulator" is more correct and will yield much better results. With apologies to Alan who steered you in that direction - voltage "droppers" were things often used in vacuum tube televisions and some radios. The term is not in general use these days to describe components or circuits. As you say - you need to know what you are searching for.

But then you ask about the wires and where to connect them to the regulator - that all depends on the regulator type that you use. My personal advice is if you don't have the technical knowledge to source the parts and figure out the connections, then I think you would be better off finding someone who can do the work on your radio for you rather than risking damaging your radio. This is not the place to learn basic electronics, and I am sorry to say that some of the advice / knowledge given on forums in that area is often just plain wrong (there have been a couple of really bad examples on this forum in the past couple of months).

Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for, but I think it better to be safe than sorry.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i