Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jgtec
Topic Author

R1000 - Front speakers stopped working!

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:46 am

Hi!

With the help of the Forum members I have just fixed the power supply on my Soundbridge Radio - all voltages as they should be. Great!

However, the front speakers are not working, everything else is fine, the sub-woofer is fine and the full audio signal gets to the headphone socket.

Does anyone know the pin out of the connectors that go to the front speaker units, so that I can try and test these on their own if this is possible. Also where is the audio signal split between the subwoofer and the front speakers, or is it all done digitally, in which case there's no way of me fixing it?

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers, John
Cheers, John

2 x M1001, 3 x M500 and 1 x ailing RB1000

Burkhardi

Re: R1000 - Front speakers stopped working!

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:52 am

The left, right and sub are all done in the digital domain by the AC-3 chip.
I think you will find you have one bad satellite.
Open the main unit and unplug one satellite and see if the other works if not, they the other order.
I bet one will work and the other has an internal amp issue where it's invoking the "mute" line.
There are three plugs inside, left, sub and right and they will make sense once you open the unit up.

jgtec wrote:
Hi!

With the help of the Forum members I have just fixed the power supply on my Soundbridge Radio - all voltages as they should be. Great!

However, the front speakers are not working, everything else is fine, the sub-woofer is fine and the full audio signal gets to the headphone socket.

Does anyone know the pin out of the connectors that go to the front speaker units, so that I can try and test these on their own if this is possible. Also where is the audio signal split between the subwoofer and the front speakers, or is it all done digitally, in which case there's no way of me fixing it?

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers, John
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

jgtec
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi!

I will try that out and get back to you. Probably won't be for a day or two though.

If the problem is as you suspect, is there a simple fix, or is it just a matter of sourcing a replacement (Ebay for another one with a broken supply?).

If all else fails, I'll use the headphone socket to drive some active speakers and keep the Sub going by tweaking the headphone socket, which I assume will be possible.

Cheers, John
Cheers, John

Burkhardi

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:04 am

Which side of the pond are you on?
I assume the UK side since you use "cheers".
Either Pete or myself should be able to help you with this.

jgtec wrote:
Hi!

I will try that out and get back to you. Probably won't be for a day or two though.

If the problem is as you suspect, is there a simple fix, or is it just a matter of sourcing a replacement (Ebay for another one with a broken supply?).

If all else fails, I'll use the headphone socket to drive some active speakers and keep the Sub going by tweaking the headphone socket, which I assume will be possible.

Cheers, John
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

jgtec
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 am

Hi!

Yes, I am in the UK. I'll need to go and work out how to add in my Location.

I'll contact Pete for a spare speaker if that's what I need.

Cheers, John
Cheers, John

g0pkh

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:44 am

Hi John.

Yes plenty of speakers here. Have sent a PM
Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

jgtec
Topic Author

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:40 am

Hi!

I have done as suggested and with one unplugged the other still does not work, both ways round. The fault could therefore be somewhere else or both speakers could be faulty. Replacing both speakers will be too costly and might not solve the problem anyway.

Has anyone got any experience of using the headphone socket? Surely someone else has had a go at this before?

Plugging in the headphones suppresses the signal to the internal speaker as it is meant to. However, I would like to use the internal subwoofer and external speakers at the same time.

I have had a quick look at this and it seems less than obvious what is going on. It's not a simple switch over as I had hoped for. It looks like one of the audio outputs is fed back to the board that then channels the audio to the internal speakers. I will get the 'scope on it to see what's on each connector.

I will also try taking the audio signals straight from the board, rather than from the headphone socket itself, but I suspect that they might not be there until the headphone plug is plugged in. I probably need to trick the Radio into thinking that the socket is not plugged in. I'll post any news as I get it!

There must be a work around here somehow.

Cheers, John
Cheers, John

Burkhardi

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:05 pm

jgtec wrote:
Hi!

I have done as suggested and with one unplugged the other still does not work, both ways round. The fault could therefore be somewhere else or both speakers could be faulty. Replacing both speakers will be too costly and might not solve the problem anyway.

Has anyone got any experience of using the headphone socket? Surely someone else has had a go at this before?

Plugging in the headphones suppresses the signal to the internal speaker as it is meant to. However, I would like to use the internal subwoofer and external speakers at the same time.

I have had a quick look at this and it seems less than obvious what is going on. It's not a simple switch over as I had hoped for. It looks like one of the audio outputs is fed back to the board that then channels the audio to the internal speakers. I will get the 'scope on it to see what's on each connector.

I will also try taking the audio signals straight from the board, rather than from the headphone socket itself, but I suspect that they might not be there until the headphone plug is plugged in. I probably need to trick the Radio into thinking that the socket is not plugged in. I'll post any news as I get it!

There must be a work around here somehow.

Cheers, John

Slow down cowboy, we'll get it; let try to fix it correctly before we go rigging up some custom work-a-round.
I have more experience with the headphone jack and the satellites then you would think. I have worked on these unit for over three years.
Unplug the middle one and see if the satellites work.
One of the amps is invoking the "mute" function and this why you are seeing (or not hearing (or hearing)) what you are?

So with the power off, unplug all three plugs on the inside (note where they go (mark with a marker)) then plug one in and power up the unit; then see what you get. Try this for all three plugs, plugged in ONE AT A TIME (unplug the unit from the wall each time you plug or unplug and make sure your plug the plug back in corectly (not off my one pin)).

Then post what you find. If you find that two work on their own, then try those two together. A think I have only seen one unit loose more then one amp.
So you have the left satellite amp (in the left satellite enclosure), the right satellite amp (in the right satellite enclosure) and one bass amp (in the rear enclosure).
I still say you have one bad one that is invoking the mute and from what you post, I am going to bet it's the middle one which is the bass one.

Burkhardi

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:29 am

John,
Have you had time to look at this any further or did my "cowboy" comment and tone rub you the wrong way? If the latter, that is not what I attended to do and apologize if it came across negative.
Regards, Matt

DJans

Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 pm

As I understand correctly you tried to re-connect the 2 front speakers to the different connectors. Did you do this after disassembling the complete unit? If yes, did you install the small headphone jack board properly for this test?

As far as I remember without the small headphone jack PCB the Radio is in headphone mode and all speakers are switched off.

Burkhardi

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:57 am

DJans wrote:
As I understand correctly you tried to re-connect the 2 front speakers to the different connectors. Did you do this after disassembling the complete unit? If yes, did you install the small headphone jack board properly for this test?

As far as I remember without the small headphone jack PCB the Radio is in headphone mode and all speakers are switched off.

Yes, you are correct, it's a normally open circuit for lack of a better word. With out the pcb hooked up, you will not get sound, but that goes for the woofer too, so I assumed it was not the issue since he didn't say anything about that.
However, could be the case and also very good info too, regards, Matt

g0pkh

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:52 am

Hi Djans

If you wish to use the radio circuit board for speaker testing without having the headphone circuit board connected,
install a small jumper link into the white connector where the headphone board plugs in. Place the jumper across the middle two pins of the four.

The mute function will then be overridden. This is how I use a main board for speaker testing. I didn't want the extra danger of the headphone board
"flapping around", which might cause a short.

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

ronafios

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:30 am

This thread has been super useful. After repairing my stuffed PSU, my front speakers weren't working. Following the diagnostics here, I've discovered the left speaker unit (if facing the Roku) is stuffed. Once removed, right speaker and sub work beautifully.

So, I suppose I'm begging for a spare... does anyone have such a thing? Or advice on repair (which looks super annoyingly hard, as the box seems to be plastic welded shut).

Burkhardi

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:51 am

ronafios wrote:
This thread has been super useful. After repairing my stuffed PSU, my front speakers weren't working. Following the diagnostics here, I've discovered the left speaker unit (if facing the Roku) is stuffed. Once removed, right speaker and sub work beautifully.

So, I suppose I'm begging for a spare... does anyone have such a thing? Or advice on repair (which looks super annoyingly hard, as the box seems to be plastic welded shut).

I have spares, I got your PM too. send me an email at burkhardi@REMOVEhotmail.com
and remove the word "REMOVE" from the email address (it was added to avoid spam).
Thanks, Matt

mullrich

Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi there,

I'm having the same problem.

On my Soundbridge Radio only the subwoofer is working anymore.

I tried to connect the sattelites apart (without one another),
but there's no sound.
But if I plug the subwoofer on the connection of one of the sattelites,
it works.

Does that mean that I will need to get two new speakers?

Greetings,
Manu