Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

diannabill
Topic Author

SBR Finally Kaput! What to do with it now?

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:02 am

I was bragging that my radio was still working (since late 2007). Everything still works - display, menus, etc, but just no sound. It started by the sound stopping and starting over and over a few times, then just no sound at all.

I've replaced it with a couple of Squeezebox Radios, which I love, but now I'm wondering what to do with this brick. Is there any market for broken units?

FrankB

Re: SBR Finally Kaput! What to do with it now?

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:26 am

One of the front speaker amplifiers probably killed itself. The headphone jack still works I bet.

If you want it repaired, contact Matt Burkhard <burkhardi@hotmail.com>, assuming you are in the US.

Frank

diannabill
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks FrankB, but I don't think it would be worth getting the amps fixed as well as the old power supply, which will probably be next. Don't want to invest the repair cost plus shipping especially since this would be an extra unit anyway. I have a Roku M1001, a Logitech Squeezebox Radio, and a Logitech UE Smart Radio. I think that's enough!

FrankB

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:12 am

How can you have too many Soundbridges? :)

In any case, I would be glad to reimburse you for shipping it my way for parts.

thanks,
Frank

WYSIWYG

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Matt fixed mine and did a superb job. The Roku Radio is a wonderful piece of hardware and I never found an Internet clock radio that even came close. (Tried Grace and Pure). You should really fix it, you won't regret it.

diannabill
Topic Author

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks and I agree it's great, but guess what? It came back to life! So I guess that settles my dilemma. Thanks for the input though. Take Care

tstroll

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:17 pm

The clock on one of my two Soundbridge 1000s just died, and along with it the sleep timer. I got a display saying "trying to set clock" and it gave up after a couple of minutes. Any suggestions for reactivating the clock? Rebooting the unit and resetting it to factory defaults did not work.

More generally, I'm wondering if I should try to keep my Soundbridges going forever (through the fine work of Matt Burkhardt) or whether there's any current hardware that's just as good or better. I see a device called the Grace Digital for sale on Amazon and elsewhere. I listen mostly to the BBC, CBC, and Australian and New Zealand public radio networks.

dupondt

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:27 am

tstroll wrote:
The clock on one of my two Soundbridge 1000s just died, and along with it the sleep timer. I got a display saying "trying to set clock" and it gave up after a couple of minutes. Any suggestions for reactivating the clock?

This behaviour indicates that the time server (NTP server) your SoundBridge tries to contact doesn't answer. In fact it looks as though Roku's default server (time.rokulabs.com) isn't working properly, as I get errors when trying to query it.

To resolve this you can tell the SoundBridge to use a different NTP server:

a) Open the configuration page of the Soundbridge's web interface with your browser, the address is http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/SoundBridgeConfig.html (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your Soundbridge).
b) Scroll down until you reach the section "Time Zone & Network Time".
c) Change the entry in "Network Time Server" to "pool.ntp.org" (without the quotation marks).
d) Click the button "Update Time Zone and Time Server".
e) Restart your SoundBridge; it should then retrieve the correct time information.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

tstroll

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:09 am

That worked! Thanks, Dupondt. Fortunately, I still have the old Roku snooper application installed on my old Windows XP computer, a device I turn on maybe every two months. That led me to the configuration page and I did as you said. Much appreciated.