Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

swilson317
Topic Author

unable to play error

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:56 pm

My Roku has been happily streaming music from my PC running Media Center. Suddenly, when I try to play anything, the albums, songs, etc. are retrieved, but when I try to play a song, I get the "unable to play" error. I have tried resetting the Roku as well as unplugging and plugging power, but no change. I saw a similar thread from 2010, but there was no response or solution to the poster's issue. I'm hoping there is a simple fix. The Roku is a bit cumbersome to use, but it works for my needs.

Thanks, Steve

jjaf

Re: unable to play error

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Windows Media Center is not a UPnP/DLNA server, Windows Media Player is the server library your Soundbridge will be connecting to. It sounds like WMP cannot find the actual files. Can you play the songs in WMP?
R1000, M400, M1001

swilson317
Topic Author

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Yes...indeed...I meant to say Windows Media Player. I have done everything on the PC and on the Roku to attempt to reset things. Weird that I can browse songs, but can't actually play them. Yes...I can play them in WMP.

Thanks, Steve

Rootman

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:58 am

I have no answer, all I can add is that I tried the Media Player and had similar results like you, could browse and not play. I eventually ditched it and went back to Plex, My main Plex server bit the dust last week so I had to install it to my laptop and I wanted to give Media Player a try, but as I said I went back to Plex on the laptop. I whipping up a replacement Plex server now so I can off load this from the laptop.

jjaf

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Have you switched on copy protection (ie encryption) in WMP? These files cannot be played by the Soundbridge.
R1000, M400, M1001