Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sawan
Topic Author

Firefly and mp3 tags

Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:24 pm

When Firefly rescans my mp3 database, it is not picking up changes to mp3 tags that I may have made. Is there any way to get Firefly to do this without a new rescan of the entire database? I have over 7000 mp3's and wma's and would like to avoid a complete rescan if possible.

On another note - sometimes when I reboot my computer, the Firefly icon is not visible in my Win XP notification area. However, the taskmanager show that Firefly is running. Anyway to get the icon visible so that the Firefly program can be accessed.

Thabks for any help.

S80_UK

Re: Firefly and mp3 tags

Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:56 pm

sawan wrote:
On another note - sometimes when I reboot my computer, the Firefly icon is not visible in my Win XP notification area. However, the taskmanager show that Firefly is running. Anyway to get the icon visible so that the Firefly program can be accessed.

I get the same behaviour - seems to be a "Windows thing", but I am sure there's a good reason for it. Of course, if you have a short cut in the program menus, or on the desktop for example you can easily get into Firefly that way. It doesn't start up another instance - just gives you access to the one that's already running.

rpedde

Re: Firefly and mp3 tags

Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 pm

sawan wrote:
When Firefly rescans my mp3 database, it is not picking up changes to mp3 tags that I may have made. Is there any way to get Firefly to do this without a new rescan of the entire database? I have over 7000 mp3's and wma's and would like to avoid a complete rescan if possible.

Thabks for any help.

It really should. What tags are being changed? Is it possible the tags are tags that only appear in the iTunes xml file, and that only changes when iTunes exits?

Or is it something else?

I'll try and replicate this, but I've not seen it.

Oooh... wait... are the files on a network share? And are the times synchronized with ntp or something similar? That would make thing break if time wasn't synced.

sawan
Topic Author

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:06 pm

The drive that holds my music is a USB connected drive to the same computer that is using Firefly. I had changed the mp3 tags using Creative Mediasource.

I have set Firefly to rescan every 1/2 hour - however, it was not detecting tag changes. Only after I did a new scan did the updated tags show up.

Thanks for any info you can give. Also, thanks to SB_80 for the tip re: using a desktop shortcut for Firefly.

rpedde

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:14 pm

sawan wrote:
The drive that holds my music is a USB connected drive to the same computer that is using Firefly. I had changed the mp3 tags using Creative Mediasource.

I have set Firefly to rescan every 1/2 hour - however, it was not detecting tag changes. Only after I did a new scan did the updated tags show up.

Thanks for any info you can give. Also, thanks to SB_80 for the tip re: using a desktop shortcut for Firefly.

Could I ask you to help me in debugging this? Could I ask you do to the following:

1. Do a full scan of your music from the web status page.

2. Go into the web administration program and change the debuglevel (in the advanced config) to 9.

3. Change a tag on a song using the tool you use to do so

4. Go into the web status page and do a "rescan". Not a full rescan, just regular rescan.

5. Stop the server, zip the c:\program files\firefly media server\firefly.log file and email it to me at ron@pedde.com. Let me know in the email what the file was that you changed, and what you changed about it.

Thanks.

-- Ron

mr rusty

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:22 pm

there is a windows XP bug that relates to missing icons in the sys tray. On my PC if I enable uPnP, then some tray icons sometimes don't appear. If I disable uPnP, the problem goes away. As I don't need uPnP (I use firefly!) I don't need uPnP so keep it disabled.