Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

copro
Topic Author

Firefly m3u Playlist shows 0 items

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:49 am

I have a SB M1000 and am running Firefly Version svn-1498 on a winxp media server.

I have "d:\media\music" containing about 8000 mp3s and "d:\media\playlists" for my m3u playlists. In Firefly web config, d:\media is set as the music folder.

Usually my SB can connect to Firefly and I can search, browse and play mp3s with no problem. It even sees my playlists but when I try to play them the SB says "0 items, press EXIT to return".

I made the playlists in notepad with a m3u extension and have tried both absolute and relative filepaths.

e.g. absolute "\\192.168.x.x\media\music\Moby-Ambient\Moby-05-Myopia.mp3"

e.g relative "media\music\Moby-Ambient\Moby-05-Myopia.mp3"

Any ideas on getting my playlists to work please?

rpedde

Re: Firefly m3u Playlist shows 0 items

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:10 pm

copro wrote:
I have a SB M1000 and am running Firefly Version svn-1498 on a winxp media server.

I have "d:\media\music" containing about 8000 mp3s and "d:\media\playlists" for my m3u playlists. In Firefly web config, d:\media is set as the music folder.

Usually my SB can connect to Firefly and I can search, browse and play mp3s with no problem. It even sees my playlists but when I try to play them the SB says "0 items, press EXIT to return".

I made the playlists in notepad with a m3u extension and have tried both absolute and relative filepaths.

e.g. absolute "\\192.168.x.x\media\music\Moby-Ambient\Moby-05-Myopia.mp3"

e.g relative "media\music\Moby-Ambient\Moby-05-Myopia.mp3"

Any ideas on getting my playlists to work please?

If the playlists are in d:\media\playlists, and the music is in d:\media\music, then the relative path should be this:

..\music\Moby-Ambient\Moby-5-Myopia.mp3

That should work. I'm interested to know why it doesn't work with the absolute path using ip addresses though. Are you using the 1.1 beta, or 1.0?

copro
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:42 pm

rpedde wrote:
Are you using the 1.1 beta, or 1.0?

Not sure what you mean, the SB is firmware version 2.5.174 and Firefly is svn-1498.

Thanks for the tip on relative paths, I altered my playlist but my SB still says 0 items. :cry:

rpedde

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:48 pm

copro wrote:
rpedde wrote:
Are you using the 1.1 beta, or 1.0?

Not sure what you mean, the SB is firmware version 2.5.174 and Firefly is svn-1498.

Thanks for the tip on relative paths, I altered my playlist but my SB still says 0 items. :cry:

Can you zip up your songs.db (c:\program files\firefly media server\songs.db) and email it to me at ron@pedde.com, along with a playlist that doesn't work and your firefly.conf?

I'd really like to see what this is. I've heard this a couple times, and I'm not sure what exactly is going on with it. It would sure help to see a database from someone actually experiencing it.

Thanks.

-- Ron

copro
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:19 pm

Done :)

tsnoich

Firefly m3u Playlist shows 0 items

Mon May 14, 2007 7:34 am

I'm having the exact same issue. To add to my confusion, some of the playlists work, but not all of them. I've viewed the ones that work side-by-side with the ones that do not, but there doesn't seem to be a difference (same relative path, spacing, etc.)

Were you able to figure out a solution for the previous gentleman?

--Tom Snoich

rpedde

Mon May 14, 2007 6:15 pm

tsnoich wrote:
I'm having the exact same issue. To add to my confusion, some of the playlists work, but not all of them. I've viewed the ones that work side-by-side with the ones that do not, but there doesn't seem to be a difference (same relative path, spacing, etc.)

Were you able to figure out a solution for the previous gentleman?

--Tom Snoich

I had gotten some feedback that it seems like it's the blank lines between the entries in the m3u that throws it off... for example:

#EXTIF blah blah
/path/to/file.mp3

#EXTIF blah blah
/path/to/file2.mp3

It appears that if the #EXTIF and blank lines are removed from the playlists, it will work okay, and that WMP playlists (at least) seem to generate m3u files that should work but don't.

I've got reproducing this on my list of things to do. I'll probably tackle this next week, as I have a week off between jobs, and hope to get some monster coding done.

-- Ron

NickET

Tue May 15, 2007 12:37 am

It appears that if the #EXTIF and blank lines are removed from the playlists, it will work okay, and that WMP playlists (at least) seem to generate m3u files that should work but don't.

Simply removing the blank lines worked for me.

elstr2

Same Problem

Thu May 17, 2007 1:53 pm

I have the same problem with the pinnacle version.
I have 40.000 mp3 songs and prefer to use playlist and its better not to scan the whole library. But relative etc. is all not working.

batka

Fri May 18, 2007 6:53 pm

I have exactly the same problem.

The following path arrangement should work I guess. The music files are in:
I:\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\1-Reggae On Broadway.mp3
I:\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\2-Gonna Get You.mp3
I:\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\3-Chances Are.mp3

The M3u file is in "I:\Temp\mp3tag.m3u"
The m3u content is:
..\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\1-Reggae On Broadway.mp3
..\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\2-Gonna Get You.mp3
..\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\3-Chances Are.mp3

WinXP SP2 Hungarian machine. Firefly SVN 1586 build. All my files are FLAC, but I played with MP3 for making it work for sure. The Soundbridge seeing the playlist correctly, but there is no songs in it. it seems Firefly just can't find the path for the files, when parsing m3u playlist.

I tried as many way as I can, for example removing empty lines, relative and absolute paths, windows and unix-like paths, but I never got it working. It only worked if the m3u file was in the same folder as music, aka there was no path linking in the playlist.

rpedde

Sun May 20, 2007 7:56 pm

batka wrote:
I have exactly the same problem.

The following path arrangement should work I guess. The music files are in:
I:\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\1-Reggae On Broadway.mp3
I:\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\2-Gonna Get You.mp3
I:\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\3-Chances Are.mp3

The M3u file is in "I:\Temp\mp3tag.m3u"
The m3u content is:
..\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\1-Reggae On Broadway.mp3
..\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\2-Gonna Get You.mp3
..\Lejott\Bob Marley - Chances Are (1981)\3-Chances Are.mp3

WinXP SP2 Hungarian machine. Firefly SVN 1586 build. All my files are FLAC, but I played with MP3 for making it work for sure. The Soundbridge seeing the playlist correctly, but there is no songs in it. it seems Firefly just can't find the path for the files, when parsing m3u playlist.

I tried as many way as I can, for example removing empty lines, relative and absolute paths, windows and unix-like paths, but I never got it working. It only worked if the m3u file was in the same folder as music, aka there was no path linking in the playlist.

I have the logs on this, and I'm trying to repro it locally.

-- Ron

Symn

M3u list displaying zero items on Soundbridge Radio

Mon May 21, 2007 9:56 pm

Hello Guys

I had exactly the same problem and it nearly drive me crackers. I solved it though the other day and thought it only fair to put my findings here.

It's a bit of an odd one, but the radio is extremely case sensitive. There is one anomaly though. The server name had to be all lower case and the share name exactly as it is on the server, eg:

\\labiamajor\Music\Compilations\Gold_ All Her Greatest Hits [Disc 1]

When it was:

\\Labiamajor\Music\Compilations\Gold_ All Her Greatest Hits [Disc 1]

it refused to work. It took me ages and ages to figure out what was going on.

One of my albums had a ascii bullet point in the name of the album the radio also refused to see this. I had to change it and it all now plays fantastically. I am a bit surprised that Roku hasn't produced something which is a little more user friendly.

Just had another thought. I'm using UNC paths and I've noticed that some of you use the drive letter. It might be worth using UNC seeing as it works so well for me.

Hope that helps you all.

Regards

Symn

NickET

Wed May 23, 2007 12:19 am

NickET wrote:
Simply removing the blank lines worked for me.

I've since discovered that this fix only works on version 1. I upgraded to v1.1 and lost all my M3u entries.

So, my recommendation? Unless you really need 1.1 go back to v1.0 and remove all the blank lines from your playlists.

NickET

Tue May 29, 2007 6:42 am

Symn wrote:
It's a bit of an odd one, but the radio is extremely case sensitive.

Just posted an additional bit of info on this one under this thread:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=12715

It seems that the case-sensitivity also relates to the music path when it comes to playlists too. They have to match. I think now that the blank lines might have been a red herring. :roll: :)

batka

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:42 am

rpedde wrote:
I have the logs on this, and I'm trying to repro it locally.

-- Ron

I'm just asking it softly, whether did you happened to find out what could cause my problem?

I read the two previous posts as well, but lower case machine name didn't help (it was lower case already), and I think all my case of every path must be correct.

Thanks much indeed you help!