Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wouterk
Topic Author

Firefly library not found with speedtouch 780wi

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:05 am

Hi,

After using a linksys WAG54g I am using VOIP now with a speedtouch 780wi modem/router.
Unfortunaly my Roky SB500 does not find my fireflu music server anymore.
When I connect a pc with a wireless connection it finds the firefly library without a problem. WMM and multicast are turned on.

Thing is that when I connect a PC or MAC with wireless connection and start iTunes my Roku sees the library. After closing iTunes the Roku does not see the library no more.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks Wouter.

RokuLyndon

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:21 am

Does your soundbridge connect to internet radio with this new router?

wouterk
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:25 am

Hi,

Yes, internet radio is no problem.

smith1212

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:01 am

Try to install and repair bonjour for windows. After this, my SB finds the firefly server again, but only to the next day.

rpedde

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:12 pm

smith1212 wrote:
Try to install and repair bonjour for windows. After this, my SB finds the firefly server again, but only to the next day.

If that's the case, you are either firewalling udp port 5353 from 224.0.0.251, or your router isn't passing multicast packets. (Only in one direction -- from wireless to wired. Apparently that's reasonably common).

-- Ron

wouterk
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:20 am

Hi,

I am using firefly on a NSLU2 (sorry should have mentioned that), so reinstalling on windows is not a option.
Seem's to me that what Ron is saying is the most plausible. But I am not using a firewall on any machine on my local network and the problem started by replacing my linksys WAG54G for the VOIP modem/router Thomson 780 Wi.
So, there must be a problem with the new modem/router but I can figure it out.
So if there is someone out there with a working environment with the same modem and is using firefly with a wireless Roku.......or other suggestions !

Thanks.

rpedde

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:23 am

wouterk wrote:
Hi,

I am using firefly on a NSLU2 (sorry should have mentioned that), so reinstalling on windows is not a option.
Seem's to me that what Ron is saying is the most plausible. But I am not using a firewall on any machine on my local network and the problem started by replacing my linksys WAG54G for the VOIP modem/router Thomson 780 Wi.
So, there must be a problem with the new modem/router but I can figure it out.
So if there is someone out there with a working environment with the same modem and is using firefly with a wireless Roku.......or other suggestions !

Thanks.

Yup, that's it. It must be that that modem doesn't do multicast by default. You can try going into the web interface of the device (if it has one) and seeing if it has an option to enable multicast, or igmp. If it does (either of those options) enable it.

It might be worth checking for a firmware update for that device as well.

-- Ron

wouterk
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:47 am

Hi,

The only thing I could find is "Multicast from broadband" and is set to "ON"
and a setting WMM (Wifi Multi Media ?) is also set to "ON".
But, you already know this, it does not help.

Wouter

Fredrik

Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi,

I just bough a SoundBridge a few days ago. It does not work - I have tried everyting I could think of... It can see the network and the router just fine - and can play internet radio. But it can´t see the firefly media server on my PC.

Using the SpeedTouch 780 wireless router. Perhaps it just doesn´t work with this type of application.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Pretty soon I am giving up on my SoundBrige and returing it to the store.

/Fredrik (Stockholm)

wouterk
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:21 am

Hi,

So I am not the only one ! But.....as you can see in this post the Roku works good with a Firefly server (as it did with my linksys).
After a replaced the linksys with a thomson 780 it stopped working !

wouterk
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:24 am

Hi,

If it is the thomson 780 causing the problem why does a wireless pc with iTunes see the firefly server but the roku does not ?!
What is the difference on the wifi side between a pc and a roku ?!

rpedde

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:45 pm

wouterk wrote:
Hi,

If it is the thomson 780 causing the problem why does a wireless pc with iTunes see the firefly server but the roku does not ?!
What is the difference on the wifi side between a pc and a roku ?!

Shouldn't be any. What kind of encryption are you using on your wireless connection? One person reported they had problems with shared key wep, and had to use open key wep. Their symptoms were exactly as you describe. PC on wireless can see it, roku on wireless can't.

That might be something to check.

-- Ron

wouterk
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 9:19 am

Hi,

I am using WEP Encryption. Whether it uses a shared key or not I do not know because this is no option to choose from.
Does somebody knows what kind of WEP encryption the thomson is using ?

Thanks

Wouter.

rpedde

Tue May 01, 2007 7:26 pm

wouterk wrote:
Hi,

I am using WEP Encryption. Whether it uses a shared key or not I do not know because this is no option to choose from.
Does somebody knows what kind of WEP encryption the thomson is using ?

Thanks

Wouter.

I found this on the speedtouch site:

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgeba ... x?id=10531

It seems to indicate that multicast is only "experimentally" supported. It might be that this article or a call to tech support for the speedtouch might help.

-- Ron

wouterk
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 11:29 pm

Hi,

Thanks Ron !

I will contact tech support and ask them about the status of this and see what they have to say.

Wouter.