Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gaucho

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:18 am

M@rk wrote:
Yep - great explanation!

One query though:
Why does my setup run flawlessly for days on end?

Don't know. I wish mine would.

What I do know is that the behaviour I described can be reproduced every time, with an M1000 and an M2000.
Maybe the difference is in the M1000/M2000 vs M1001 (bonjour vs RSP?), or in the 780 firmware (mine is branded/locked by KPN - Dutch telecom provider), or -not likely- in the Firefly release level (I use a lower level, also on NSLU2).

glennkil

Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:30 pm

Thanks heaps guys! I have been trying to work this issue out for a while now. I have a Netcomm NB9W router and it is displaying exactly the same behaviour.

I have a Maxtor MSS II on ethernet which runs an inbuilt version of Firefly and my wirelessly connected M1001 finds it on a cold reboot or restart but can't find it hours later.

Interestingly my laptop running iTunes finds the server on the MSS II on application start up and finds the library and loads it but vanishes 5 seconds later.

Plugging another wireless access point into the 4 port switch on my router and connecting to it instead of the inbuilt wireless on the NB9W sees all problems vanish.

I wonder what chance I have of getting Netcomm to resolve the issue?

Padgett

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:07 pm

Running a Dlink DGL-4300 and a soundbridge M1000, connected wirelessly. The firefly server appears to be up and running correctly, yet the soundbridge won't see it at all.

M1000 running latest firmware.
DGL 4300 running latest firmware. RIP / Multicast enabled.

Anything I can try?

rpedde

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:49 pm

Padgett wrote:
Running a Dlink DGL-4300 and a soundbridge M1000, connected wirelessly. The firefly server appears to be up and running correctly, yet the soundbridge won't see it at all.

M1000 running latest firmware.
DGL 4300 running latest firmware. RIP / Multicast enabled.

Anything I can try?

I'm assuming this is on windows. Can it see iTunes if you enable sharing in iTunes? My guess is no, otherwise you'd see the firefly server.

So it's got to be one of just a few things:

1. Firewall on the PC
2. Firefly being dumb
3. Router not passing the multicast

That's really about it. 1 is easy enough to check. 3 can be checked by hooking up the SB wired next to the server. If it shows up there, then it's something about the wired-to-wireless router.

2 is possible. A good check on that woudl be to update to the 1.1b stickied in this forum.

It's got to be one of those.

Padgett

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:08 pm

Not running itunes. Yup, windows (xp).

1) Firewall has exception for firefly.exe
2) Running latest nightly from firefly home page
3) Suspect you might be right, will try a direct wired connection and report back.

LesParry

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:57 pm

I am using an NSLU2 (unslung) running Firefly, my router is a Speedtouch 780WL (running firmware 6.1.4.3V4 - latest from UK ISP Be* Unlimited).
It all works ok usually, however one thing I have noticed is that when the number of instances of Firefly running on the 'slug' reach a certain point it stops working.

It is then necessary to kill and restart Firefly to get it all working again. This seems to occur more often if I setup to stream music to a remote location. (using SSH tunneling).

rpedde

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Padgett wrote:
Not running itunes. Yup, windows (xp).

1) Firewall has exception for firefly.exe

There should be an exception for the bonjour as well... if there isn't that would be your culprit.

reinstalling bonjour for windows would be a solution -- it should set upt he firewall exclusions on install.

Also, just disabling the firewall for purposes of test wouldn't be a bad idea.

3) Suspect you might be right, will try a direct wired connection and report back.

Might also check router firmware to see if there are knobs that can be turned for IGMP or multicast. If there was something for UPnP that might be worthwhile too, as upnp works over multicast.

-- Ron

rpedde

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:06 pm

LesParry wrote:
I am using an NSLU2 (unslung) running Firefly, my router is a Speedtouch 780WL (running firmware 6.1.4.3V4 - latest from UK ISP Be* Unlimited).
It all works ok usually, however one thing I have noticed is that when the number of instances of Firefly running on the 'slug' reach a certain point it stops working.

It is then necessary to kill and restart Firefly to get it all working again. This seems to occur more often if I setup to stream music to a remote location. (using SSH tunneling).

Are you saying that the process count (of mt-daapd processes) keeps increasing? Are you transcoding files, or just natively streaming?

Interesting. that shouldn't happen. :(

-- Ron

renderer

SB M1001:can't see libraries, but connects to internet

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:22 pm

(also sent to firefly forum)

I have the HomeMusic M1001 system, a Linksys WRT54GC wireless router, and a 64-bit Debian etch system.

I have installed the SoundBridge 3.0.49 beta software, and built firefly
from source (mt-daapd-0.2.4.1).

Everything individually appears to be working properly - I can access the SB web server, the firefly web server, play Internet Radio etc.

The SB doesn't seem to talk to the firefly server, getting "Incompatible servers found" "SoundBridge found one or more DAAP servers (like iTunes) on the network, but can't connect to them. To access these libraries from SoundBridge we recommend using the Firefly media server for fre from...".

I read elsewhere that multicast support may be the problem. I have tried the router "Filter Multicast" setting enabled and disabled.

I have tried "--enable-avahi" in the ./configure. The mt-daapd log shows no problems (-d 6).

I also hear iptables might need configuring. I do not know what this may need.

I have tried avahi-discover on the server, and there are SoundBridge and mt-daapd web sites, _roku-rcp.tcp SoundBridge entry and an iTunes Audio Access entry for mt-daapd.

How can I debug this configuration? No errors are logged, and the SB report of "Incompatible servers" is spectacularly unhelpful!

Is it the Linksys WRT54GC wireless router to blame?

Thanks in advance for any clues!
--
renderer

rpedde

Re: SB M1001:can't see libraries, but connects to internet

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:19 pm

renderer wrote:
I have installed the SoundBridge 3.0.49 beta software, and built firefly
from source (mt-daapd-0.2.4.1).

0.2.4.1 doesn't have the rsp protocol, which is necessary to talk to the home server. You'd probably have better luck with the nightly version at http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org

-- Ron

James23

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:56 am

Try to install and repair bonjour for windows. After this, my SB finds the firefly server again, but only to the next day

RichBayliss

Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:50 am

What firmware are you running on your ST780WL?