Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JohnnyUK
Topic Author

Firefly and Sony PS3

Wed May 16, 2007 5:56 am

Hi Guys

This may be a completely off the wall question, so please resist the temptation to flame me!

I happily use Firefly on a Win2k3 server with my M2000 and it's never missed a beat (literally!)...

I know that the PS3 does not (yet) support streaming, but I wondered if anyone had thought whether Firefly would work with it as a generic UPnP media server...should Sony pull their finger out...

Any ideas from the blue sky thinkers?

I should add that at this stage, I'm not looking to install Linux on the PS3...

Thanks in advance.

John

grommet

Wed May 16, 2007 8:47 am

Firefly isn't currently a UPnP AV server. 'Nuff said. 8)

JohnnyUK
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2007 10:20 am

Bugger! :D

Ted Harper

Thu May 17, 2007 2:12 pm

One of the chaps I work with owns a PS3 (and also recently purchased an M2000). The best thing I was able to suggest for him to stream media to the PS3 was to install (yet) another media server application - Windows-only on the server side - called Orb: http://www.orb.com/gamers/ps3.htm

This serves a website on top of your media library which you navigate and play with your PS3's normal browser.

Of course it would be a nicer option if a future PS3 firmware supported either DAAP (so it was part of the iTunes/Firefly/etc ecosystem) or UPNP AV (so it was part of the WMP/Twonkyvision/XBox360/etc ecosystem). Given that Microsoft is aligned with UPNP AV (and the XBox360 works great as a UPNP media player, even for in-game music), I'd be guessing Sony would be preferring to lean in some other direction (*IF* they can manage to get a licence to be a DAAP player from Apple in the way that Roku was but Pinnacle wasn't able to).

ted.h.