Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dvdpete
Topic Author

.flac Transcoding possible on NAS platform?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:11 am

Hi all,

Can Firefly transcode .flacs to something suitable for the PS3 (mp3) when running on a Buffalo Terastation Live (ARM processor)?

Also, does anyone know if the instructions for installation here are for the ARM processors?

I am wanting to move away from using Twonky which doesn't seem to support .flacs to my Roku M2000 or do transcoding for the PS3.

I also like the Squeezebox remote play (via internet) capability. Can Firefly do something similar?

Cheers,
Pete

[edit]

My Setup:

Server: Buffalo Terastation 1TB Live running Twonkyvision
Clients: Roku Soundbridge M2000 & PS3
Audio: Meridian Audio G68 Processor
Network: 100Mbps LAN using Solwise 200Mbps Homeplugs
Music: I have a huge collection of CD’s to rip and want to use a lossless compression such as .flac or .wma lossless.

[/edit]

grommet

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:32 pm

Firefly is not currently a functional UPnP AV server. It serves iTunes (DAAP) and RSP (Roku Server Protocol) products. So, until Ron finishes UPnP AV... the PS3 can't see it.

Feel free to use Firefly with FLAC transcoding for your SoundBridge, however...

dvdpete
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:03 am

Thanks. I had a play last night and got Firefly installed on the NAS no problem. It played and navigated flawlessly.

So when playing a .flac on an M2000, is Firefly transcoding that to WAV or is the Roku playing the native .flac. 'Get song info' suggests it was a .wav stream.

Interestingly, I couldn't play the same .flac with Twonky. I just got an 'x' next to the song title.

I like twonky though, as it serves my pictures to my PS3 too.

S80_UK

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi,

Firefly is transcoding your FLAC files to WAV before sending to the SoundBridge. Twonky can transcode on some platforms using a plugin. This is possible under Windows for example. Twonky's website lists only a few plugin options for FLAC so you may be out of luck.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

batka

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:38 am

Fuppes (which is an open source free UPNP server) is now also able to transcode FLAC to WAV.
Now I'm using it with my M1001, instead of Firefly. I use it for one reason, because Firefly doesn't support folder browsing.

(When you use Fuppes with Roku, you must set the audio mime type to "audio/wav" instead of the default "audio/x-wav" in the config file, then it will work.)

As for PS3, I read at the Fuppes forum that some folks using this server with PS3, so you might check that how it works.

Tim Johnston

Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Batka, on what type of machine are you running Fuppes? I'd like to try to use its flac to .wav conversion on my NSLU2, but it looks like I'd have to compile it myself on the NSLU2. It appears that the version checked into ipkg does not have the transcoding functionality.

Tim

batka wrote:
Fuppes (which is an open source free UPNP server) is now also able to transcode FLAC to WAV.
Now I'm using it with my M1001, instead of Firefly. I use it for one reason, because Firefly doesn't support folder browsing.

(When you use Fuppes with Roku, you must set the audio mime type to "audio/wav" instead of the default "audio/x-wav" in the config file, then it will work.)

As for PS3, I read at the Fuppes forum that some folks using this server with PS3, so you might check that how it works.

XIONG1

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:01 am

Ditto here~ï¼