Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
micpool
Topic Author
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:06 pm

Leopard on Mac

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:11 pm

Firefly server seems incompatible with Leopard.

Preference pane cannot determine status, icon does not appear in menu bar, server does not run.

Mic
 
Morbo42
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:00 pm

Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:09 pm

Hi,

I have also installed MacOS X 10.5 today and have the same problems with Firefly version 1.0.

However, I just downloaded and installed version 1.1beta that was announced in this thread

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=11098

and this seems to work fine, at least at first glance.
 
rpedde
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Re: Leopard on Mac

Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:28 pm

micpool wrote:
Firefly server seems incompatible with Leopard.

Preference pane cannot determine status, icon does not appear in menu bar, server does not run.

Mic


As soon as I have a running copy of leopard, I'll try and replicate this.

-- Ron
 
Mhardyman
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Herfordshire UK

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:52 am

Leopard works with 1.1 beta but not 1.0 for me.
 
rpedde
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:12 pm

Mhardyman wrote:
Leopard works with 1.1 beta but not 1.0 for me.


Right. The 1.1 beta should work.
 
Kevin McMurtrie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:36 am
Contact:

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Firefly 1.1b doesn't work with 10.5.1 PPC for me. It logs hundreds of errors into the Console then fails. After that, System Events consumes all CPU time and must be manually killed.


Dec 29 01:08:58 pixelmemory [0x0-0x124124].com.apple.systempreferences[8237]: The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely. You MUST exec().
Dec 29 01:08:58 pixelmemory [0x0-0x124124].com.apple.systempreferences[8237]: Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug.
Dec 29 01:08:58 pixelmemory [0x0-0x124124].com.apple.systempreferences[8237]: db_sqlite2_open: unable to open database: /private/var/root/Library/Application Support/Firefly/songs.db (/private/var/root/Library/Application Support/Firefly/songs.db)
Dec 29 01:08:58 pixelmemory mt-daapd[8267]: db_sqlite2_open: unable to open database: /private/var/root/Library/Application Support/Firefly/songs.db (/private/var/root/Library/Application Support/Firefly/songs.db)
 
rpedde
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:52 pm

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
Firefly 1.1b doesn't work with 10.5.1 PPC for me. It logs hundreds of errors into the Console then fails. After that, System Events consumes all CPU time and must be manually killed.


Dec 29 01:08:58 pixelmemory [0x0-0x124124].com.apple.systempreferences[8237]: The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely. You MUST exec().
Dec 29 01:08:58 pixelmemory [0x0-0x124124].com.apple.systempreferences[8237]: Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug.
Dec 29 01:08:58 pixelmemory [0x0-0x124124].com.apple.systempreferences[8237]: db_sqlite2_open: unable to open database: /private/var/root/Library/Application Support/Firefly/songs.db (/private/var/root/Library/Application Support/Firefly/songs.db)
Dec 29 01:08:58 pixelmemory mt-daapd[8267]: db_sqlite2_open: unable to open database: /private/var/root/Library/Application Support/Firefly/songs.db (/private/var/root/Library/Application Support/Firefly/songs.db)


Something isn't right there if it's trying to open the root application support dir. That's not right. Did you install it for all users, or for yourself? Try uninstalling it and installing it for yourself.

The spam syslog messages are a annoying, but don't affect the actual operation of it. I'll have those fixed next nightly.

-- Ron
 
Kevin McMurtrie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:36 am
Contact:

Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:59 am

I installed it on a pure server so the normal user is root. If I install it as another user, will it still run after that user logs out? This machine only has 512MB so multiple concurrent GUI users isn't a good idea.

I tried "touch"ing the path it complains about. It's valid.
 
rpedde
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:32 pm

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
I installed it on a pure server so the normal user is root. If I install it as another user, will it still run after that user logs out? This machine only has 512MB so multiple concurrent GUI users isn't a good idea.

I tried "touch"ing the path it complains about. It's valid.


Not sure then what's up with that. Of course it does different things when it's run as root -- it drops privs, and so forth, so it's possible thats the issue. Also can't tell if the issue is corrupt db or something, either. You could try looking in that directory and getting rid of any songs.db or songs-journal files in there.

As far as running it as a daemon, that's not how the shiny control panel thing runs. To run it as a daemon, you'd probably have to rip it out of the control panel stuff and run it like a regular unix daemon -- launchd plist and all that. I don't have a pre-baked receipe for that, though. You don't have fink installed on that machine, do you?
 
Kevin McMurtrie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:36 am
Contact:

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:23 pm

I'll have to take a look creating a simple open source Java server for Roku if I have the time. The one hard part would be getting good sample code to parse headers for all of the supported file formats. I'd like to help with mt-daap but the crudeness of C and the quirks of C++ make pastime coding too frustrating for me.
 
rpedde
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
I'll have to take a look creating a simple open source Java server for Roku if I have the time. The one hard part would be getting good sample code to parse headers for all of the supported file formats. I'd like to help with mt-daap but the crudeness of C and the quirks of C++ make pastime coding too frustrating for me.


As a shortcut to that, it wouldn't be difficult to parse the iTunes xml file and serve straight from that -- it would mean managing the library in iTunes, but that would give you the metadata without parsing anything.

And hey now with the C cracks... :)

I'd like to be able to take more offense, but I could only do that if I didn't understand exactly what you were talking about. :)

-- Ron

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests