Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

fallenangel1978
Topic Author

Help finding music library needed!

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:12 am

Hi,
Bought an M1001 as a present for my boyfriend recently and have had a nightmare with it.

Took ages to get it to find the network but finally managed to get this sorted. It's picking up internet radio and connecting fine but now we're having fun and games getting it to find the music from FireFly.

We want to use iTunes so is FireFly the only way of doing this?

Also, is there an idiot's guide to getting things set up available anywhere or can anyone offer any suggestions at all before we both tear our hair out?

psburley

same issue

Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:52 pm

I have a soundbridge, it can see my network but not my playlist again using itunes via firefly, did see it yesterday when first set up and worked fine, then today turned on and cant see my pc !!!!

rpedde

Re: Help finding music library needed!

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:45 pm

fallenangel1978 wrote:
Hi,
Bought an M1001 as a present for my boyfriend recently and have had a nightmare with it.

Took ages to get it to find the network but finally managed to get this sorted. It's picking up internet radio and connecting fine but now we're having fun and games getting it to find the music from FireFly.

We want to use iTunes so is FireFly the only way of doing this?

Also, is there an idiot's guide to getting things set up available anywhere or can anyone offer any suggestions at all before we both tear our hair out?

If it's not a pinnacle branded one, then it should be able to use iTunes just fine. You'll have to enable library sharing in iTunes in the preference pane, but that's it.

If it's a pinnacle branded one, you'll need to use windows media connect, a UPnP server like twonky or any other one, or firefly.

For firefly, it should just be a matter of installing bonjour for windows:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ ... ndows.html

Then installing firefly. I'd recommend the 1.1b version posted in the sticky on this forum.

Install it with defaults (assuming your iTunes is set up in the default manner), and it should just work.

If not, let me know what happened and I can almost certainly get you running with it.

-- Ron

psburley

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:46 am

I use firefly, strange things happen, sometimes when I switch the pc on the Pinnacle soundbridge finds the library no probs, other times it cant find the library and other times it says incompatable. I have wrestled with this for a week !! when its unsuccesful firefly and bonjour are always working and running so I cant understand why it wont work. Also why its intermittant. I have even connected the soundbrigde up a metre from the wireless access point so its not a signal issue.

I have found that if its NOT working and I manually stop firefly and then re start it works !! just a pain, any suggestions?

ALSO...I am about to move all to a new pc installed with VISTA will soundbridge work? will the disk supplied that has bonjour and firefly that comes with the pinnacle soundbridge install ok on a vista machine??
thanks for the help, its a great toy when it works !

rpedde

Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:07 pm

psburley wrote:
I use firefly, strange things happen, sometimes when I switch the pc on the Pinnacle soundbridge finds the library no probs, other times it cant find the library and other times it says incompatable. I have wrestled with this for a week !! when its unsuccesful firefly and bonjour are always working and running so I cant understand why it wont work. Also why its intermittant. I have even connected the soundbrigde up a metre from the wireless access point so its not a signal issue.

I have found that if its NOT working and I manually stop firefly and then re start it works !! just a pain, any suggestions?

ALSO...I am about to move all to a new pc installed with VISTA will soundbridge work? will the disk supplied that has bonjour and firefly that comes with the pinnacle soundbridge install ok on a vista machine??
thanks for the help, its a great toy when it works !

You'll want to the 1.1 beta linked in the sticky at the top of the forum.

As far as disappearing, I think that's related to the pc going to sleep. Seems like bonjour forgets to re-advertise the names that are registered when it wakes from sleep.

Might be worth trying the new 1.0.4 version of bonjour. Not sure if it's fixed in that release.

-- Ron

psburley

clarification

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:03 am

Ron are you saying I need 1.1 beta to use with vista (firefly) ??
Also let me clarify, the issues I explained about whether it works (on XP now) or not, these are related to when the PC is powered up so I dont think its anything to do with sleep. When I have the problem I check both bonjour and firefly and both are running...its just the soundbridge cant see the library. When I stop firefly and then start again manually it all works fine. That suggests to me its to do with firefly.

rpedde

Re: clarification

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:06 pm

psburley wrote:
Ron are you saying I need 1.1 beta to use with vista (firefly) ??

Need is strong. If you run as an admin without UAC, then it works as-is on vista. But if you want to use UAC (and I would recommend using it), then the 1.1 beta linked above is more aware of UAC and plays nicer with it.

Also let me clarify, the issues I explained about whether it works (on XP now) or not, these are related to when the PC is powered up so I dont think its anything to do with sleep. When I have the problem I check both bonjour and firefly and both are running...its just the soundbridge cant see the library. When I stop firefly and then start again manually it all works fine. That suggests to me its to do with firefly.

There are lots of things it can be. The way devices find itunes servers is prone to problems because it uses multicast. It seems that few routers and other devices are very multicast aware. I've seen problems with nic drivers, with wireless routers, with firewalls... lots of things are not very multicast aware.

But here's the troubleshooting steps:

1. Verify you can make it work correctly. Putting both the pc and the soundbridge on wired network with no firewall should be the "always works" case.

2. Turn on the firewall on the pc and see if it continues to work.

3. If so, move the soundbridge back to the wired network and see if it continues to work.

At some point it should break, and you'll know your culprit.

From your description of the problem (appears after restart, but disappears some time after that), it sounds like the soundbridge sees the pre-cache announcements from the daap server, but it isn't responding to multicast queries. Either because the outbound multicast is firewalled, inbound multicast is firewalled, or the router isn't passing the multicast.

So verify that your firewall has exceptions for bonjour (inbound UDP 5353 to 224.0.0.251, and outbound UDP 5353 to 224.0.0.251). Check your router and see if it has settings to enable IGMP or multicast. If not, check to see if there is updated firmware for the router.

Also, if you are using web, try switching between open key and shared key, see if that does anything. I've heard from others that the soundbridge doesn't like one of them, but don't remember which.

Those are the top-of-the-head suggestions for nailing it down.

-- Ron