Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

timbob
Topic Author

NSLU Database strangeness

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:55 am

I've been running svn-1539 on the Slug quite happily, however there is one odd thing I'd appreciate any suggestions for fixing:

If I browse to 'Artists', then select an artist, I am then presented with a list of all the albums in my music collection. However each of these albums is listed with zero tracks except those related to the artist. If I display all the songs from an artist these display correctly.

I figured some form of database corruption so I deleted 'songs.db' and restarted Firefly. However, the problem has immediately recurred which has left me out of ideas....

Anyone got any suggestions?

fizze

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:22 am

The metadata in your music files isn't set correctly.
If its mp3s, I suspect your "album" tag is empty.

Isolate one of those files and take a look at it with mp3tag, winamp or $FavoriteMetadataApp and you shall see ;)
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696

timbob
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Fizze. I'm a bit sceptical given the library used to work fine and I haven't made any changes in months. But, it's a good idea - I'll take a look with a metadata viewer and report back.

timbob
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:17 am

I've tried and failed to get a mac application which can view AAC tags.

However, I thought I'd look with iTunes from a remote mac (i.e. looking at the slug via bonjour, not the iTunes library). Looking this way showed that all of the mandatory tags (album, artist, etc) were present in any of the files I looked at, so I think the metadata isn't to blame.

I've also updated firefly to the latest nightly, with no change in the behaviour.

fizze

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:19 am

svn-1696 is hideous with sqlite2 on the slug!

Still, weird enough. So you are saying that via a DAAP-Share the stuff actually worked correctly, but via RCP it doesn't?
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696

timbob
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:38 am

Hideous isn't good. Hideous how, exactly?
Re DAAP vs. RCP - yes, I think that is what I'm saying. Any other troubleshooting ideas (or suggestions for a mac app to inspect the tags directly)?
Thanks

jtbse

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:43 am

timbob wrote:
Hideous isn't good. Hideous how, exactly?
Re DAAP vs. RCP - yes, I think that is what I'm saying. Any other troubleshooting ideas (or suggestions for a mac app to inspect the tags directly)?
Thanks

Hi timbob...

I think hideous as in much slower and in my case Firefly crashes anytime attempting a scan of the library while playing music on a Soundbridge. Conversion to Sqlite 3 on svn-1696 fixed all that for me.

But on your tags issue...I would think if you can add the tracks to an iTunes library and the metadata looks ok (including album) then that would be good enough to verify. So I'm not sure what might be going on. Have you tried scanning or building your db with a debug level 9 log to look for errors or problems inserting data into the db?

[Edit: I just had another thought (I sometimes just get these random synapses to fire :) ) ...I recall that with one album in particular, I once had a similar problem. Basically the songs would load, but the Soundbridge couldn't find any songs if browsing by the Album. That actually turned out to be that I had inadvertently created the Album name with a leading space character in the tags for the songs. Think there's probably a thread with my name on it around here somewhere where we discussed that]

squashuax

Firefly 1696 on NAS

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:19 pm

How did you switch to sqlite3? I'm having a hard time getting svn 1696 to work on my MSS+. It seems hung on scanning the files in my iTunes music folder. Would the sqlite3 switch help? How do I make that change?
Compaq SR1520NX,
Firefly on Maxtor MSS+
iTunes
Rhapsody
Soundbridge M1001 (2)
SoundBridge R1000
Roku Netflix Player
Rotel mono power amps and pre-amp.

jtbse

Re: Firefly 1696 on NAS

Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:31 am

squashuax wrote:
How did you switch to sqlite3? I'm having a hard time getting svn 1696 to work on my MSS+. It seems hung on scanning the files in my iTunes music folder. Would the sqlite3 switch help? How do I make that change?

Not sure if sqlite3 would help your scanning problem or not, but it might.

To switch, first you have to be sure its installed via ipkg or whatever you mange packages with. (Firefly may install it automatically with his package, not sure).

To switch over, just change mt-daapd.conf. Change the line that says "db_type = sqlite" to "db_type = sqlite3". You can also change this from Firefly's advanced configuration web page, if you prefer.

At this point, you can either just stop and start Firefly to let him build a sqlite3 database (songs3.db) from scratch, or you can convert your existing database (songs.db) with something like the code snippet that Ron provided here:

http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=7004&highlight=sqlite3