Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rflook
Topic Author

Arrrrrgggghhh! Always have to restart mt-daapd

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Right, im praying to god someone can help me with this cos its really fricking me off.

I have a knoppmyth machine (knoppix based installation running mythtv) on which my music is stored. I also have a pinnacle soundbridge connected to my home network via Wifi. Now whenever i boot up my mythbox my soundbridge refuses to pick up the connection to the server. However if i run the following command from a command line

invoke-rc.d mt-daapd restart

it picks it up. Please someone help me with this as its driving me nuts having to restart the firefly server each time.

rpedde

Re: Arrrrrgggghhh! Always have to restart mt-daapd

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:15 pm

rflook wrote:
Right, im praying to god someone can help me with this cos its really fricking me off.

I have a knoppmyth machine (knoppix based installation running mythtv) on which my music is stored. I also have a pinnacle soundbridge connected to my home network via Wifi. Now whenever i boot up my mythbox my soundbridge refuses to pick up the connection to the server. However if i run the following command from a command line

invoke-rc.d mt-daapd restart

it picks it up. Please someone help me with this as its driving me nuts having to restart the firefly server each time.

This is usually because either your server isn't seeing iTunes queries because it's firewalled, or because your router isn't passing multicast.

Try going into the web admin page of your router and see if it has any options for multicast or IGMP.

Also, verify you don't have any firewall rules on your server. It must allow inbound udp 5353 from 224.0.0.251, and must allow outbound udp from the same port to 224.0.0.251

-- Ron

rflook
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:49 pm

Hmm, could be the router. Dont seem to have multicast option on it :-(

rpedde

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:46 pm

rflook wrote:
Hmm, could be the router. Dont seem to have multicast option on it :-(

You can verify that by running the soundbridge on a wired port, just for purposes of testing. My guess is that you'll find it runs fine.

What's the model of the router? I know for some d-links and xyxel (is that spelled right?) a firmware update solved the problems for several people, so that's worth a shot, too.

- Ron

rflook
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:26 am

Cant run it on a wired port, should have mentioned its a Homemusic which is only wireless.