Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

audiolab1
Topic Author

FLAC How-To?

Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:23 pm

I downloaded and installed Firefly according to the instructions on my Win XP machine. Installed fine, pointed it to my iTunes music folder, works fine. Now, the reason I downloaded Firefly was for FLAC playback. But I can't see how to actually play FLAC files. Firefly only sees the iTunes folders on my Roku. I dragged and dropped a folder of FLAC files into the iTunes folder and they can't be see. Naturally iTunes will not add them as they are not a recognized format. So, what do I need to do to play back these files on my Roku?
Thanks!

andyg

Re: FLAC How-To?

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:18 am

audiolab1 wrote:
I downloaded and installed Firefly according to the instructions on my Win XP machine. Installed fine, pointed it to my iTunes music folder, works fine. Now, the reason I downloaded Firefly was for FLAC playback. But I can't see how to actually play FLAC files. Firefly only sees the iTunes folders on my Roku. I dragged and dropped a folder of FLAC files into the iTunes folder and they can't be see. Naturally iTunes will not add them as they are not a recognized format. So, what do I need to do to play back these files on my Roku?
Thanks!

You'll need to tag the flac files after downloading using some kind of tag editor - not on windows so can't recommend. Then drop the flac folder into your the relevant iTunes folder (ie. new album by existing artist or brand new artist folder etc etc.). Then go into the firefly interface and perform a scan (not necessarily a full scan) and the files should now be available via firefly.

Of course you will have needed to add .flac as an extension in the firefly config page if you haven't already done so: you'll see the option to add different extensions in the Music Files area of the config. page.

hope that helps!
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

jtbse

Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:44 am

andyg wrote:
You'll need to tag the flac files after downloading using some kind of tag editor - not on windows so can't recommend.

I recommend this one http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Works well for just about anything, and a pretty intuitive interface (unlike some others I've tried).

GuildfordDad

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:23 am

Hi,

I've encoded a track on my Apple Mac (PowerPC) using Max.

I've encoded them into MP3 and FLAC formats. They are both stored in the same directory and are tagged.

Firefly has correctly scanned the files, but when I go to Roku to play back, it only shows the mp3 file, but no FLAC files.

Do you have any idea as to what is going on please?

echtepino

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:25 am

Ilucky

Wed May 29, 2013 1:00 am

The reason why you cannot see the FLAC folder in iTunes is because FLAC is not compatible with iTunes. To play FLAC in iTunes, you can follow the detailed guide here:http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-import-flac-to-itunes.html

jfeanrer

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:51 am

In order to play FLAC in iTunes, you'd better to convert FLAC to iTunes supported formats like MP3/WAV/AAC,etc.