Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

whitecloud
Topic Author

How do I make playlists in Linux Debian Freelink NAS?

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:36 pm

I installed a recent version of Firefly on a Linkstation Pro (whose firmware was changed to Freelink/Debian).

On the iTunes of my windows pc and mac, I can see and play songs from the full library which is shared on the NAS but I would like to setup some playlists based on subfolders where they are located. Can this be done manually?

How do I do it? There's no iTunes or Windows Media player on the Linkstation box. Some files have no details added. I tried using the Configuration wizard but no success.

Any help creating .m3u files and where to place them in the linux NAS would be most welcome.

JB

stretch

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:54 pm

iTunes can't create an m3u file but you can still use iTunes or WMP, Media Monkey, etc...

The first step is to create the playlists on your PC / Mac.
The next step depends on what you are using.

For iTunes, copy the iTunes Library xml file onto the NAS and place it in the directory that you entered into Firefly's *Music Folder* location in the config page.

For other media players, create your playlists & then save them as m3u files into the same location mentioned above.

Next, go to Firefly and open the advanced config page and make sure that *Process Playlists*, *Process iTunes files* & *Process .m3u files* are all set to YES
After saving the changes in Firefly, do a full rescan.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

whitecloud
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm still a bit confused.

Is the iTunes.xml file on my Powerbook not based on the songs and playlists which are stored on that powerbook only?

If I simply copy this file to the music folder on NAS surely it will not be suitable for creating playlist(s) on the NAS?

All the files on the NAS were simply copied manually from my Windows and Mac machines. Some were downloaded or were copied from iTunes on the Mac. Others have no detailed information except their file name.

My music is stored on the Linkstation in subfolders of /mnt/disk1/share/Music/

I checked the config file: /etc/mt-daapd.conf and the 3 "Process" settings you listed are already set as =1 so I assume this means "yes"

If the playlists were working correctly on the NAS, where should I see them? - In the normal column on the left menu or as subfolders in the full list of songs?
I'm sure there's something I did wrong here or simply is not intended to work? What should I do?

JB

markhood

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:12 pm

whitecloud wrote:
All the files on the NAS were simply copied manually from my Windows and Mac machines.

Oh, your previous post said you were sharing the files. That would be the only way you could use the iTunes XML file for Firefly.

You can share the files between your NAS and your Powerbook by pointing iTunes to the file shares on your NAS for its library. But then you couldn't play the music on your Powerbook on the go since you wouldn't be connected to the NAS. I think you can set up multiple iTunes libraries, though, if you use another user login, and have the other iTunes library access files locally (but I haven't tried that).

whitecloud
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks. I will investigate that.

As a workaround, I can manually point the web configuration of Firefly to a specific subfolder in /share on the Linkstationn. Then rescan for songs just in that subfolder and use the contents as the only playlist. - A bit time-consuming but it would work if I needed to play a list of songs. These would be played in alphabetical order, unless renamed.

Thanks,
JB

whitecloud
Topic Author

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:52 am

As a postscript, I was able to create and export playlists manually using Media Monkey on my Windows Desktop PC. I only needed this for Wav files which don't have tags such as those copied over from iTunes.

JB