Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wawd
Topic Author

"Unable to get server status" message when trying

Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:10 am

hi there,

i have looked for this answer but cannot find it, so apologies if it has already been asked.

i have an iBook and an iMac both running 10.5.2 and the latest iTunes.

the ibook connects to firefly with no problems but strangely the iMac gives the error message "unable to get server status - please restart the pref pane and try again "

I have tried all i can think of - could this be something to do with my firewall protecting only the iMac??

Thanks in advance for any help,

will

TimArruda

Sat May 03, 2008 7:55 pm

I have been keeping an eye on this thread to see what answers may come up. I am having the same exact issue as the OP. I am using a brand new MacBook Pro, 10.5. When I install Firefly, it never gets beyond not even being able to determine the status of Firefly, and stops there. I really would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas here.

Thanks,

Tim

TimArruda

Solved

Tue May 27, 2008 7:12 am

I ended up finding the answer in Firefly's forums. I'm running svn-1586, and was getting a message that "Firefly is starting" and it would never move beyond that. It would serve music, but I couldn't get into the preferences and change anything. I found a message on their forums that suggested the "Share as" name, if too long can cause problems. I shortened it to "Firefly" and that solved it!

I hope someone finds this helpful...

Tim

OttawaMan

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I've been able to run Firefly on previous computers in the past. But I can't even install the PrefPane on my iMac 24" (10.5.4). I get the "Unable To Get Server Status" error message every time. I've tried everything, including shortening the server name as a previous poster mentioned -- no luck. Can anybody tell me what server port should I use in the Advanced tab if I select the Manual option? The Automatic setting doesn't work, so I might as well try the Manual.

My SoundBridge has been working beautifully for years, but doesn't seem to work with iTunes 7.7. I can browse and play the first song in a Playlist just fine, but just like others here have mentioned elsewhere in this Forum, once it starts playing, the wrong song info is displayed and eventually the device stops playing.

Any assistance would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Mats

andyg

Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:26 pm

@OttawaMan:

The default port is 3869 IIRC, personally I use 1024 - don't ask why... :wink:

I don't run 10.5 so I shoot a little in the dark with Leopard users but the steps on a 10.4 box would be to open up a port manually through the firewall: system prefs/sharing/firewall and create the new exception.

port name is other in drop down menu, tcp is 1024 or whatever you choose, UDP leave blank, assign description Firefly. You've shortened the name firefly assigns which is correct - known bug - now fire her up. Start server, let it run a while & if it seems to hang then yep - known bug... Give it a couple of minutes or more the stop & restart the server - it should now work & you'll be able to access the config and change other settings etc etc.

When you mentioned you couldn't install the preference pane, what did you mean? Just that or that you couldn't get beyond the hanging startup screen. If the former, then uninstall/reinstall with svn 1586

http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org ... n=svn-1586

... if the latter then hopefully doing the steps above will see you right.

good luck! andy
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

avere

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:29 am

@andyg

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this tip and the link to svn-1586. I had been unable to install firefly after getting a new computer and after fruitless googling, had almost given up on getting it to work.

Thanks to the link you provided though, everything is working now!

Thanks again :D

andyg

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:19 pm

my pleasure 8)

and for anyone else, 1586 is deffo the version of choice as things stand for stability.
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8