Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Conor
Topic Author

unable to start mt-daapd on NSLU2

Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:41 am

trying to set up mt-daapd on my NSLU2 but when i try to telnet to it i get a message

-------- NOTE: RUNNING FROM INTERNAL FLASH --------

This system is currently running from the internal flash memory,
it has NOT booted up into "unslung" mode from an external drive.

In this mode, very few services are running, and available disk
space is extremely limited. This mode is normally only used
for initial installation, and system maintenance and recovery.
Cannot execute /dev/null: Permission denied

anyone know how to get round this?

Conor

andyg

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:32 pm

it has NOT booted up into "unslung" mode from an external drive.

to state the bleedin' obvious, the shell is telling you what's wrong - you're NOT unslung :cry:

It's quite a while since I unslung my NSLU2 so I'm not fresh on this, but off the top of my head...

review your process to get unslung. did you follow everything to a T?

Have you definitely entered the correct telnet login/password to get to the shell prompt? I draw your attention to note 9 of the unslinging readme:

9) Verify that you can log into the NSLU2 by going to the web GUI "Manage Telnet" page, enable the telnet service, then telnet in as the root user, with the password you entered when you performed the "unsling" operation.

Remember, you've been playing with a couple different logins/passwords for the various processes to get unslung. Could be as simple as that or you didn't follow the unslinging instructions verbatim, or your disc setup on the slug is currently not as per when you flashed the firmware....

just a couple of possibilities that spring to mind... :?

Once you're confirmed to be Unslung, then you can follow the relevant instructions to install mt-daapd/firefly.

I'm sure you have it but http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/index.php is your main point of reference for firefly. Here for unslung & firefly install also: http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/NSLU2_Installation

if you're still stuck on the unslung side of things, really you should post to the NSLU2 help pages (yahoo group I think) but you'll most likely find sympathetic help on the firefly forum as well :wink:

hope that helps, andy
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

Conor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks Andy,

Went through that and i now have it unslung. Just cant see any music.

the firefly web admin page shows the location as /share/hdd/data/public/mp3 but i dont know what to do to get the music visible!!

TIA,

Conor

andyg

Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:59 pm

but i dont know what to do to get the music visible!!

and there you are living in Bletchley... home of code cracking... :lol:

I assume you have firefly installed on the slug now? and you've followed those steps on the wiki to make sure firefly is running? Then it's simply a question of configuring firefly as to the location of your music folder and making sure you set the path correctly - particularly the distinction between /share/HDD/data/ and /share/flash/data depending on where you have chosen to boot from - hard drive or usb stick.

Editing the config file is of course easiest from the webpage but you may find you need to use the text editor vi or nano. And you may also find you have permissions problems (I certainly did when I did all this) - this thread is pretty instructive:

http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=6017&highlight=

if you follow the wiki instructions, and create the mp3 folder, I'd be inclined to then follow the "iTunes structure" for simplicity, by dropping in an 'iTunes Music Folder' which contains all your music. Your .xml file should float in the mp3 folder.

UGHHH... just read your post again and I'm going to leave all the above in place but you state the location as /share/HDD/data. Is it definitely HDD and not *flash* for your location? Check that and see what occurs...
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

stretch

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:54 pm

This is duplicated over on the Firefly Media server forum.
http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/vi ... php?t=7702
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format