Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

nobby
Topic Author

firefly wont load all the songs in itunes

Sat May 31, 2008 12:34 pm

I have all my music in an external drive (F:/) and there is about 6000 of them. i loaded firefly but it only scans 336 songs!!! the library file for itunes is in the C drive under my music file. i have tried deleteing it and loading all the music from the F drive but the library file always goes into the C:/........my music.

why can it not see my full library of songs???? is it that scan is set on very aggressive???

have i missed something?????

please help

stretch

Sat May 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Firefly will ignore songs for a number of reasons.
    1. They're DRM protected
    2. The file type is not listed in Firefly's configuration
    3. Firefly does not have permission to read the files / directory

If the songs were downloaded from iTunes Music store you will have to burn a CD & then rip the CD to remove Apple's fairplay DRM protection

If the file type is not listed in Firefly's configuration, add the file extension & manually start a scan

File permissions, all files / directories must be readable by everyone as Firefly runs as a service which means that it doesn't have the same access permissions as you do. This mostly applies to Linux boxes & network shares but occasionally crops up in other situations.

Aggressive scan simply does a thorough scan of a music file to ensure that the song length in the database is the actual songs length.
If your music is ripped as a CBR file then you could set the scan type to "normal" (i.e. 0).
If you have VBR music files then you'll need a more aggressive scan type.

You can't change the location of the iTunes library file.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format