Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mattius
Topic Author

Which version (.exe) is the best & flac encoding?

Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:39 am

I have a SB 1001 wirelessly connected. Hopefully there is one version of firefly that handled Flacs better? I get no re-buffering with MP3's or radio but sometimes, (although not all), I get a fair bit of rebuffering. Any suggestions? :?

S80_UK

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 am

Hi Mattius,

You don't say which versions you have tried... But if you have problems with rebuffering with MP3s for example, that will most likely be worse with FLAC files, since the Firefly server converts these to WAV before sending to the SoundBridge and the data rate is very much higher than for MP3. So you need to sort out the connection problem, or whatever it is that is giving the problem you already see. Stable recent versions of Firefly include 1586 and 1696. I use 1586 myself with no issues.

http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org ... n=svn-1586
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

stretch

Re: Which version (.exe) is the best & flac encoding?

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:41 am

mattius wrote:
I get no re-buffering with MP3's or radio....
That's because they have a lower bit rate.

Rebuffering with a wireless connection is usually a wireless problem e.g. network activity, interference, near the range limit, etc...
Another cause for rebuffering is load on the server. i.e. what else is it doing?
Is the music server also wirelessly connected? That's almost guaranteed to cause rebuffering with a lossless music format.

Hmm, S80_UK replied while i was typing...
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

mattius
Topic Author

Probably not as good as receiver as muy squeezebox!

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:46 am

Squeezebox 3 has never buffered once. So it must be that the receive capability & having built in Native FLAC decoding is better than using the Soundbridge with Firefly. Shame as I like the look / price of the Soundbridge. Oh well, off to ebay! :roll:

mattius
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:14 am

stretch wrote:
mattius wrote:
I get no re-buffering with MP3's or radio....
That's because they have a lower bit rate.

Rebuffering with a wireless connection is usually a wireless problem e.g. network activity, interference, near the range limit, etc...
Another cause for rebuffering is load on the server. i.e. what else is it doing?
Is the music server also wirelessly connected? That's almost guaranteed to cause rebuffering with a lossless music format.

Hmm, S80_UK replied while i was typing...

If server, (PC) is busy doing other tasks & Router is Wirelessly connected to server as well as Squeezebox 3, I have never had a re-buffering issue once! However Sounbridge even with server, (PC), doing nothing else then rebuffering with Flac is pretty common. Could it be because Squeezebox uses both wireless modes g&b whereas Soundbridge uses, (AFAIK), mode b only?

Even If I am d/l a file at the same time as playing Flacs on my Squeezebox I get no buffering!

stretch

Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:13 am

mattius wrote:
Could it be because Squeezebox uses both wireless modes g&b whereas Soundbridge uses, (AFAIK), mode b only?
That's a possibility, especially if the server is wirelessly conntected as well.
If you've got a wireless bridge handy you could connect it to the SB to confirm it.

I found my SB to be very sensitive to position & orientation when connected wirelessly even though it is in the same room as the router & at the time had a clear line of sight to the router (range <5m). If a "blue tooth" device was placed in the direct path then connection was lost completely.
I ran an ethernet cable to fix it. As i already had one cable snaking its way around the room (TV antenna) i figured "what's one more"
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

S80_UK

Re: Probably not as good as receiver as muy squeezebox!

Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:03 am

mattius wrote:
Squeezebox 3 has never buffered once. So it must be that the receive capability & having built in Native FLAC decoding is better than using the Soundbridge with Firefly. Shame as I like the look / price of the Soundbridge. Oh well, off to ebay! :roll:

Yes - this is also a likely contributor. FLAC data rates vary widely of course (spoken word such as books down to 300kbps or so and music anywhere up to 1000kbps or so), but all easier than WAV at 1411k.

The 802,11 g vs b can also make a difference for similar reasons (1411k is a much higher percentage of the bandwidth in 802.11b). And I don't have a Squeezebox 3, but I suspect it probably has an antenna design that is more tolerant of location or orientation than the SoundBridge.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i