Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

AuntieLolo
Topic Author

Roku loses Firefly server

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:29 pm

I have been having this problem for a while, but it seems to be getting more frequent. I am playing music on Roku using the Firefly music server while working on my computer and suddenly the Roku says that the Firefly music server has shut down. On my computer Firefly is running. I can fix it by going to the Firefly configuration, shutting the server off and then turning it on. The problem also occurs when I am not working on the computer, especially if the computer goes into 'sleep' mode (monitor off, hard drive on).

I have Windows XP Home. My connection is wireless, but I have no other wireless issues. I use Zone Alarm and Norton AntiVirus. I have checked these programs and set options so that Firefly should always be allowed.

It seems that this happens when the wireless connection is busy at the moment Roku checks in - downloading a large web page, etc. Also it cuts out more frequently (I think) when I am playing a computer game that uses a lot of CPU (not a huge amount).

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions? I'm wondering if maybe I need to look at server ports.

Thanks!
Lori Reeser

phil2610

Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:34 am

Had the problem too. Since I moved to cable connection, everything worked fine.

stretch

Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:53 pm

It sounds like both the PC and SoundBridge are using a wireless connection.
This set-up is asking for trouble. When ever you have a lot of wireless traffic it will slow everything down.
Having two wireless links makes the performance hit harder & the SB will eventually time-out.

My only suggestion is to remove one of the wireless links. Preferably the PC.
Or purchase a small NAS with a built-in music server & connect it to the router with a cable.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

AuntieLolo
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Wireless to wireless can work.

I have a new computer now, but with my old computer I did change the port and it did work. Some of the computer processes do use 9999. I think I changed it to 9998.

I now have a Vista and it is working fine without changing the ports. We have actually just gotten another Roku and it is also wireless. Most of the time it is playing off the one computer that is hardwired to the hub, but at Christmas it was playing off my computer for about 8 hours straight.

Vista actually has a media server built in. It uses the Windows media player. I still use Firefly because I can used Media Monkey.

Lori

stretch

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Yes, wireless to wireless can and will work.

BUT, it's much more susceptible to wireless network congestion. That congestion will in turn lead to more drop-outs & and increase in the need for the SB to go through a rebuffering process.
When streaming low quality music (i.e. low bit rate MP3's) you probably won't notice it but it will get worse as your bit rate increases, wireless network traffic increases & distance from the router increases.

You've solved part of the problem by getting a newer PC BUT the wireless network remains as the bottleneck.
2 x M2000's

AuntieLolo
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:25 pm

For some of us, wireless is the only option, so saying it's not as good doesn't really help. I have never had a bottleneck with wireless (time delay) and I've been using a wireless router for about 5 years now (the Roku is only 1 year old and I love it).

Lori

stretch

Re: Roku loses Firefly server

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 pm

AuntieLolo wrote:
I have never had a bottleneck with wireless
That's not what you said in your original post
AuntieLolo wrote:
It seems that this happens when the wireless connection is busy at the moment Roku checks in

AuntieLolo wrote:
For some of us, wireless is the only option
A small network storage device (NAS) with a built-in iTunes server (it's actually Firefly) sitting beside your router would remove one wireless link.
The PC doesn't even need to be switched on for the SB to play your music.
http://www.qnap.com/pro_features_iTunes.asp
http://www.synology.com/enu/products/fe ... itunes.php
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage ... D2150.aspx
are three such products that come to mind. There are many others
2 x M2000's

Chage

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:02 am

Well I can confirm the problem appears to be specifically firefly & wireless.

I did have a wireless - wireless connection going, Laptop to 802.11n AP, wired to ADSL router, then 802.11g to soundbridge. I would randomly but regularly get the message "The Media Library has shut down" and playback stops. it however is still immediately available in the subsequent screen to select library. Really frustrating when listening to podcasts because you cannot fast forward to point in time!

Going from the laptop, wired to 802.11n AP, wired to router, and 802.11g to roku does appear to work fine.

There is *nothing* else happening on my LAN other than me streaming to the Roku, so network congestion is not an issue. I think I have narrowed the issue down to mDNS broadcasts going awry.

Just about to see if the problem continues by turning on itunes library sharing in iTunes and seeing what happens....

*update* Confirmed this happens with iTunes sharing as well. I guess its time to bump that idea of a NAS up the priority list :)

AuntieLolo
Topic Author

Wireless problems - check port you are using

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:42 am

The problem I had with the Roku being unavailable (with my old computer) was due to a port problem. Apparently, there was at least one other program using this port, one of the "invisible" ones running in the background. By changing the port, everything was solved.

I have not had this problem with my new computer running Vista. (which I got in August).

Lori

sacherm5

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:28 am

I've a similar problem. My streaming was working fine using firefly running on a Vista Business laptop, via two wireless links. At the weekend, I moved my music library to a Win Home Server running firefly thereby eliminating one of the wireless links. The Soundbridge connects but the music streaming hangs for about 30 secs every 20 mins or so. Is there a better streaming server to use on a Home Server? Should I change the port?
Thanks for any suggestions.

jjaf

Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 am

Hi sacherm5

WHS is based on Windows 2003, which shares much of its internals with Windows XP. Since the OP had to modify the port for firefly on XP I would suggest you need to do the same on WHS. Remember to open that port on your WHS firewall.

I ran firefly on Vista before moving it to a Linkstation Pro NAS so have no experience of it on XP.

AngelReign

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:25 am

On the other hand, if you want to live life on the edge and work with a server with the newest, shiniest features, (or want to run on a Windows platform..