Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Festa
Topic Author

Firefly Servers not reconnecting after standby

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:44 am

I have searched through the forums and found a few threads about this, but all quite old and inconclusive.

I am running Firefly 1696 on an Openlink Buffalo Linkstation. I have two instances, and use Avahi as an mDNS Responder. I have a Pinnacle Soundbridge (M500) and a Roku M1001. Both on most recent firmware. DLink DIR655 router on 1.03 firmware, WPA security.

The situation:

1) Power up Soundbridges
2) Start Avahi Daemon (with -D switch) (Firefly was not compiled --with-avahi as it reported not being able to find a recent enough Avahi Client)
3) Start two instances of Firefly from command line (I have tried this with and without the -m switch, didn't seem to make any difference.

jBonjour Browser on my Windows laptop shows daap and rcp signals going out, on the right ports (3689 and 3690)
iTunes on the laptop can see and play both libraries.
The Soundbridges can see and play both libraries.

All is good.

Put Soundbridge into standby mode.

Restart Soundbridge from standby.

mDNS signals still on the network, iTunes can still work with the libraries, web servers for both instances fully accesable.

But Soundbridge cannot connect to the servers.

Power cycling the Soundbridge does not seem to help. The only answer seems to be to stop and restart avahi and the fireflys, which isn't particularly convenient.

Soundbridges IPs are allocated by DCHP, would static help?
Also I have no ports forwarded through the router. The fact that it works at all suggests this is not required, but would that help?

Or any other ideas gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Martin

(cross posted on Firefly forums)

igart

More or less same problem?

Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:34 am

I have firefly on a ReadyNas and a M1000.
Everything seems OK : ie, the M1000 identifies and the Firefly server and can play the music ; if I launch another firefly client on a networked computer, it works also. But if I stop the Roku M1000, it cannot reconnect. If I restart the Roku, it cannot even see the server. Same story fo itunes on the computer but not for another firefly client (FireflyClient-v0.5b-20080128.jar) which keeps working fine.

The only way to have the Roku reconnect is to stop the server on the NAS and start it again... not very convenient.

I have another instance of Firefly on a Vista computer and do not experience the same problem

I'm lost
igart

igart

More or less same problem?

Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:35 am

Everything seems OK : ie, the M1000 identifies and the Firefly server and can play the music ; if I launch another firefly client on a networked computer, it works also. But if I stop the Roku M1000, it cannot reconnect. If I restart the Roku, it cannot even see the server. Same story fo itunes on the computer but not for another firefly client (FireflyClient-v0.5b-20080128.jar) which keeps working fine.

The only way to have the Roku reconnect is to stop the server on the NAS and start it again... not very convenient.

I have another instance of Firefly on a Vista computer and do not experience the same problem

I'm lost
igart

igart

firefly server connetion problems

Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:38 am

Everything seems OK: i.e., the M1000 identifies and the Firefly server and can play the music ; if I launch another firefly client on a networked computer, it works also. But if I stop the Roku M1000, it cannot reconnect. If I restart the Roku, it cannot even see the server. Same story for iTunes on the computer but not for another firefly client (FireflyClient-v0.5b-20080128.jar) which keeps working fine.

I'm lost
Last edited by igart on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
igart

stretch

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:18 am

@igart

What router do you use?
What firmware revision in the M1000?
Is it really an M1000 (connections under endcaps) or is it an M1001 (connections on rear)?
Is it a Roku unit or a Pinnacle branded unit?
ReadyNAS model & firmware revision?
Are the M1000 & PC connected via WiFi or ethernet cable?
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

igart

good questions

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:56 am

The router is an SFRBox (manufactured by Bewan) : router/wifi AP
the device is an M1001 latest revision (3.0.44), pinnacle branded
the NAS is a readynas duo, latest revision
Both the device and the laptop are Wifi connected.
igart

stretch

Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:55 am

Is the Vista computer wireless as well?

If the ReadyNAS is the only device that's wired then I'm inclined to think that your router is not behaving itself.
It could be that the initial multicast packet sent out by Firefly is getting through but later multicast packets are not.

One thing you could do to check is to run an ethernet cable to the SB.

Firefly client knows where to find the server (you told it the server IP address) so it doesn't rely on multicast to find the server.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

igart

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:38 am

Is the Vista computer wireless as well?

Both the Vista computer and the Nas are wired to the router

If the ReadyNAS is the only device that's wired then I'm inclined to think that your router is not behaving itself.
It could be that the initial multicast packet sent out by Firefly is getting through but later multicast packets are not.

Ok, but why are the packets coming from Vista/firefly server getting through and not the packets from the Readynas/firefly server (but for the initial one)?

One thing you could do to check is to run an ethernet cable to the SB.
I wil try that for the sake of having a diagnostic (but it wil not solve my problem)

Firefly client knows where to find the server (you told it the server IP address) so it doesn't rely on multicast to find the server.
That makes sense, thank you
igart