Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

murdokco
Topic Author

Accessing older devices

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:55 am

I am running Firefly on a freeNAS server. I have enabled Firefly media server and it works perfectly; as long as I access it with a Roku Soundbridge.

I have (from a previous life), a Netgear MP101 and a Linksys WMLS11b. These are media players that function in the same manner as the Soundbridge.

I have tried both the Netgear and the Linksys devices on my LAN and neither can see the freeNAS firefly music server. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with these older devices using Firefly?

Burkhardi

Re: Accessing older devices

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:05 am

murdokco wrote:
I am running Firefly on a freeNAS server. I have enabled Firefly media server and it works perfectly; as long as I access it with a Roku Soundbridge.

I have (from a previous life), a Netgear MP101 and a Linksys WMLS11b. These are media players that function in the same manner as the Soundbridge.

I have tried both the Netgear and the Linksys devices on my LAN and neither can see the freeNAS firefly music server. I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with these older devices using Firefly?

I think the WMLS11B only plays with UPnP servers and FireFly is DAAP server and is why you can't see it. I may be wrong though...

What firmware are you running on the WMLS11B; 2.3.X?

Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

murdokco
Topic Author

give the man a kewpie doll

Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:22 am

my thanks to Burkhardi. The Linksys WMLS11b does indeed function only in a UPNP environment. Fortunately the freeNAS system can operate both as a DAAP as well as a UPNP server. In fact it can do both at the same time! I am now able to serve up my music to my Rokus as well as the Linksys device. Still cant get the Netgear MP101 to work tho. It can see the UPNP server but cannot connect ... oh well, 2 out of 3 aint bad at all ;-)