Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Statto2
Topic Author

ID3 tags in iTunes, WMP, etc

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:45 am

I can see from wiki.fireflymediaserver.org that Tag Metadata actually exists for orchestra (TPE2) and conductor (TPE3) and that this data is then available when setting up smart playlists using Firefly.

This suggests to me that it might just be possible to set up a playlist to filter, for example, all performances conducted by Karajan (say).

Question is, is there a media server that enables the extra info for orchestra and conductor to be stored? I'd prefer to use a media server that offers full functionality on the Soundbridge, e.g. searching by part word.

Alternatively, if my artist is stored as 'Berlin PO (Karajan)', say, is it possible to code the smart playlist to pluck the relevant text ('Karajan', in this example) from the text stored in artist (TPE1) and then assign it to the conductor field in the Firefly database?

Curious to know what is possible so any feedback gratefully received. Thanks.

stretch

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:22 am

I'm a little confused.
Are you after a media server that can use the additional tag info or something that can put the extra info into the tag?

MediaMonkey can write all sorts of stuff into the tag (including fields for composer, conductor & five custom fields among others).
http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/ scroll down to the tag section

I used MediaMonkey to put some info into these tags & Firefly picks them up.
Sadly, the SB can only use the Composer tag for browsing.

A couple of other tag fields (Grouping, Comments) in MediaMonkey are also listed in Firefly's smart playlist wizard.
Orchestra & Conductor are not common to both.
Firefly can use path info so if you have all performances by Karajan stored in directories under a folder named "Karajan" you can use that as the smart playlist criteria.
The folder structure in your music library is largely ignored by Firefly but it can be put to use.

The non-free version of MediaMonkey has a smart playlist function so it could create playlists using those additional tag fields
The only hassle with MediaMonkey is it doesn't have a server component.
It can however export playlists in m3u format for Firefly to serve up to your SB.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

Statto2
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:28 am

Thanks stretch. Yes, I'm a bit confused too by the plethora of options available!

Ultimately, what I want is to use my SB to its full potential (i.e. all functions working, smart playlists, search, etc) and with instantaneous browsing.

I currently have my music files stored on an Imerge S3000 music server (see www.imerge.co.uk for background reading) but this is only partly compatible with the SB and browsing is very slow when moving between the field categories. Furthermore, playlists, searching, and browsing by composer don't work with the Imerge!

Imerge offers software called TuneXchange, which loads on a PC and keeps the Imerge permanently synchronised with iTunes. This got me experimenting with iTunes and then Firefly and in doing this I've decided to ditch the Imerge and go down the NAS route instead. I'm just fed up with not having a fully-functional SB.

I'll check out MediaMonkey but I'm puzzled by you saying that it "doesn't have a server component". Does this mean you have other software on the NAS for interfacing with the SB but with a link to MediaMonkey on your PC for the purpose of playing music directly on your PC, general tag management, and creating playlists?

Sorry if I still sound confused! The NAS technology and media servers is all a bit alien to me at this stage having been spoonfed by Imerge for so long.

Statto2
Topic Author

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:39 am

Excellent shout stretch re Media Monkey!

I downloaded the non-free version an uploaded my library (approx. 100Gb of most 320 mp3 files). It all works a treat and works well with the SB. I also downloaded VisualMR to my Pocket PC - another great product.

It's a pity that some of the extra ID3 tags are unavailable in Firefly and the SB but I think I can live with that if, as you say, I can create playlists in MM and export them in a format that can be read.

Where do the .m3u files need to be stored to make them work? Is it in the top level of the folder structure containing the music files or elsewhere? I'll upgrade to the Gold version and once I've road tested the playlists function it will be full steam ahead to move to a NAS set up with Firefly installed on the NAS and MM on my PC for tagging and creating playlists.

stretch

Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:08 am

When you configured Firefly you would have entered a library location. That location is where you place the m3u playlists.
Firefly will also need to be configured to read m3u playlists as it's turned off by default. You will find this setting on the advanced configuration page in Firefly.

There is a number of NAS's on the market with Firefly preinstalled. They all refer to it as an "iTunes Streaming Server". Some NAS vendors have implemented it better than others.
I'm using a ReadyNAS NV+ myself but there are lots of others.

The library itself has all music in three formats. FLAC, MP3 & AAC.

Media Monkey is configured to only use FLAC files & handles playlist creation for the primary server (ReadyNAS).

Serving the music to both of my M2000's is handled by Firefly (preinstalled on the NAS by the manufacturer) & it's set up to only detect FLAC files & m3u playlists.

The MP3's in the library are used by my car stereo which has a USB port (for a flash disk) in its front face.
It doesn't understand playlists so there's no need to create one.

My second Firefly server, an NSLU2, is configured to only use AAC files (managed by iTunes).
This server was used for testing the latest nightly version of Firefly but there hasn't been one for some time now so it doesn't get much use.
I'm considering mothballing it.

Ripping & tagging is done by dBpoweramp. Ripping to a network drive is very slow.
dBpoweramp has a rip local mode where it rips the track, writes the file to the local HDD, moves the file to the NAS & deletes the local temporary file. This significantly speeds the process.
dBpoweramp has a music converter that you can access from the "in-context" menu system in explorer. Simply click the track, right click & select music converter. You can also edit tags via the tag editor that's also listed on the in-context menu

Oh, and I don't play music on the PC.
2 x M2000's

Statto2
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:40 am

Thanks for your continuing help with this.

The ReadyNAS NV+ option is a bit pricey for my budget but a quick Google doesn't seem to come up with much else with 'iTunes Streaming Server' (i.e. Firefly!) pre-installed.

I'd been looking at QNAP TS-109 or LaCie, both with 1TB, as options that are priced new in the UK at about 300-400 sterling. The potential problem was that it seems to be a DIY job to install Firefly, which would require knowledge I don't currently have. Really, I'd prefer the pre-install option so that it just 'works out the box'!

I've used a trial version of dbpoweramp before and I would consider buying it if and when I sell the Imerge so as to replace my ripping facility.

Any ideas about NAS with Firefly pre-installed just keep them coming. Interest rate has just been cut to 2% in the UK so maybe with the lower borrowing costs my budget will go a bit further!

Statto2
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:28 am

The ReadyNAS Duo looks a good bet and is very reasonably priced at less than 300 sterling (2 x 500Gb).

Does this come pre-installed with Firefly (i.e. iTunes Streaming Server) and is it fully compatible with the Soundbridge?

I have two different Soundbridges - one a Roku, the other a Pinnacle - so would both be compatible?

I've read some reports about fan noise on the ReadyNAS but if this proved a problem I'd just stick the box in the loft (there's a Cat5 network point there) to 'solve' the noisy fan issue!

stretch

Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:43 am

Statto2 wrote:
The ReadyNAS Duo looks a good bet and is....

Duo is a cut down NV+
They both run the same firmware and have Firefly svn-1676 (with the memory leak fixes from svn-1696) preinstalled.

As i mentioned before & bregent also mentioned, there are other NAS devices with Firefly preinstalled.
This includes NAS's made by HP, Lacie, Synology, Thecus, Dlink & many others.
2 x M2000's