Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Statto2
Topic Author

Is Firefly needed when linking to WMP11 from Soundbridge?

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:04 pm

I am trying to decide between iTunes 8.0 and WMP11 for the media server on my Windows XP PC as a precursor to going down the NAS route.

Firefly is successfully installed and I can set up a link to the media location for iTunes. Everything works fine on my Soundbridge M1001.

I then shared WMP11 to the Soundbridge and the library has been picked up, seemingly without any need for Firefly.

To use Firefly in the same way as it's working with iTunes, do I set a folder link in the Media Location field in the Firefly set-up screens and, if so, where is the underlying WMP database stored? The mp3 music files are stored on a separate partition of the PC's hard drive but I'm thinking I need to find the equivalent of the iTunes database file in My Documents\My Music\iTunes. Is there such a thing for WMP11?

Sorry if this all sounds a bit vague!

Statto2
Topic Author

Firefly - WMP11 - Soundbridge

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 pm

Having run a few trials, I am certainly hoping that there is a way to utilise Firefly when storing the music on WMP11 (and then sharing the library to the Soundbridge).

Browsing using Firefly is hugely quicker than linking to WMP11 direct! Switching from browse by album to artist etc is almost instantaneous whereas WMP11 takes a few seconds to 'read' the data into the Soundbridge.

stretch

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:38 am

Firefly builds it's own database and only reads the iTunes db for the playlists it contains.
I don't think Firefly can read the WMP db.

To import playlists created in WMP you have to first export them as m3u files and save them in Firefly's top level music directory.
You also need to configure Firefly to read m3u playlists.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

Statto2
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 am

Thanks stretch

Yes, it's now dawned on me that Firefly is designed to build its own database from iTunes but there would appear to be no way of doing the equivalent with WMP.

This is all a precursor to me moving everything to NAS in the near future but so far I'm fairly sold on the idea of using Firefly.

Is there a version of iTunes that can be loaded to a NAS drive and then use Firefly to build its database in the usual way? I appreciate that once I go down the NAS route there is huge flexibility available in terms of storing the media but moving away from iTunes is a steep learning curve.

I'd be looking for maximum flexibility in terms of ID3 tagging (a lot of my music is classical) but it would be nice too if iTunes on a Windows PC was compatible with the NAS data. Any suggestions?

Thanks

grommet

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Firefly has no requirement of using the iTunes database. It can parse out content metadata from MP3, WMA, M4A, FLAC, OGG, etc. audio files directly.

Either way, you'll still be using the Roku SoundBridge native UI.... Browse/Search by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer... or Playlist.