Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Statto2
Topic Author

MediaMonkey and Firefly smart playlists

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:06 am

Does the comment field in Firefly smart playlists correspond to the Comment box in Media Monkey?

I thought I would be able to create a playlist of the no 1 singles from the 1960s (say) by querying on year plus putting some sort of identifier in the MM comment box but I can't get Firefly to pick up anything in this box.

My playlist criteria looks a bit like this where ***** is my identifier.

year >= 1960 AND year < 1970
comment includes "*****"

Any ideas for how I might get this to work?

Statto2
Topic Author

Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:34 am

I still can't get Firefly smart playlists code to recognise the 'Comment' box in Media Monkey, and the 5 Custom fields are not carried across either, which is a pity.

The workaround for my problem stated above is to create the playlist in MM and than save it in .m3u format, which can be read by Firefly. Unfortunately, it's then a static playlist but 'refreshing' this every so often is a reasonable proxy for the smart playlist functionality.

On a separate point, is it possible to write a playlist in Firefly that returns a list of ALBUMS rather than SONGS/TRACKS?

Statto2
Topic Author

Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:02 pm

Good to know it CAN work but I might need some help to get it working for me!

I haven't consciously changed the tagging settings in either MM (Gold version) or Firefly. How do I change these and what should I be looking for to match the set up that works for you?

stretch

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:12 am

Is Media Monkey actually updating the tags or just storing the changes in it's database?

In Media Monkey:
Tools=>Options
In the section titled "Library > Tags & Playlists"
Check that "Update tags when editing properties" is enabled.
You can also set tag type i.e. ID3v1 &/or ID3v2 + the encoding type

If it was switched off you'll need to do a tag synchronisation.
Tools=>Advanced Tag Management=>Synchronise tags
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

Statto2
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:00 am

Is Media Monkey actually updating the tags or just storing the changes in it's database?

I think its updating the tags but I haven't consciously changed the setting via Tools>Options so I'll check this to make sure it's enabled.